Levellers - how small would you go? (1 Viewer)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
For vehicles with a bit of a rear overhang, I can see that hydraulic levellers will probably make a substantial difference to the onboard stability.

However, I’d expect the benefit to diminish on vehicles with minimal overhang.

I’ve just seen an Adria Twin (pretty much with a wheel on each corner) with levellers fitted and thought that it seemed like overkill.

Curious to find out what the smallest vehicle on which a Funster has had levellers fitted?

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know for a fact that there are at least two funster PVC's with said hydraulic levellers.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
we parked next to a transit conversion last weekend not only did it have levellers
they were not in use but it had megga jacked up suspension

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
based on my two experiences of MH's anything sprinter based needs them to avoid feeling sick if windy or even moving around, the wheels are so far inset from the body line it is bound to

it is really obvious when entering and exiting the hab door

that maybe influenced by my larger than average bulk though :unsure:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
that maybe influenced by my larger than average bulk though :unsure:

?

Ours is the same, if we are stationary the stabilisers go down.

I’d have hydraulic jacks but can’t justify the cost ?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Oh dear, so how do I justify this!! Levellers and full VB suspension I’m afraid on our 6.3m van conversion. Both are wonderful!
Very handy for bumping up the high kerb here in Altea, put the suspension into off-road mode (!!) to protect the levellers!
Just to start another row, we have the roof air con on to cool the van below 30 degrees, it’s lovely and warm here! And all on 6 amp electric!!
Bill

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’d love to have them as I’m sure it’d be great to have the stability they offer (not to mention some of the other benefits that users identify).

As always, when it comes to the crunch, it’s a question of affordability - if that’s not a problem, why wouldn’t you.

Ian

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what's the smallest? I had a bicycle with a kick stand

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
there are at least two funster PVC's with said hydraulic levellers

You can add me to that list, 6m Peugeot Boxer :whistle:

1D353C5B-C014-4DAB-8194-06DABA35DE11.jpeg

(y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Cuts down on the payload though. Mmmmm..levelling jacks or fewer boxes of wine??

Not a great deal as you sling out the 8kg jack, as you don't need that any more and sling out the 11kg plus of levelling ramps that are now redundant (we carried around 2 lots) and that will free space for more wine. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't mind the van moving. It's a Merc base with large rear overhang so rocking is very noticeable. I quite like it :D .

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I don’t much mind the rocking, but I loathe not being level. It’s one reason I nearly always book sites, rather than winging it more. The fridge shuts on my head while I’m looking for stuff, can’t baste fried eggs, pans slide about in the hob, the water won’t drain and my coffee won’t stay on the sideboard. Not to mention the girl child falls out of bed and I feel like my head is going to explode if I’m not feet down.

The length of the van makes no difference, it’s just as inconvenient to live in a 5m van on a slant as it is a 10m one. It is easier to level a short van, and thus might not need hydraulic et al, but over all, I think it comes down to how much it bothers you, and how many of the indoor chores you do.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Personally, I’ve never had an issue with deep fried eggs! ?

Ian
I don’t like them at all, but the girl child is most particular about hers, and if the van’s too wobbly she has to have boiled, which is a pain. Fried eggs are a van treat, because she can’t have them at home (we have an induction hob, so you can’t tilt the pan to baste!)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have them on a 6m Rollerteam Pegaso 590, finding somewhere to store usable leveling blocks on a mh without a garage is difficult, because the van is short it has more then sufficient payload so the weight is not a issue, the wheel base is the same as some mh's over 7m so the same leveling issues occur, and most of all I wanted it to make other mh owners jealous ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back