Leveling Blocks (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We have a pair of Fiamma leveling blocks - one started to split last month in Scotland, now the other one is showing signs of splitting.
Only used the blocks a 6-8 times, so not too happy. Fiamma say they shouldn't be used on stones / gravel - which is a bit of a cop out, as it rules out a fair percentage of sites !

Has anyone else had problems with Fiamma blocks, and / or can anyone recommend a decent sturdy set ?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
have had a set of Fiammas for 4 years now, used them with our Bongo and with the Auto sleeper Transit. The Bongo is under 2.5 tons and the Transit is under 3.5 tons. Been OK but starting to split now, have bought some Towsure Milenco imitations look great but as yet we have not used them. The Fiamma blocks are lower so take up less room when not being used, and work fine unless the site is very sloping. I think I will replace the fiamma block when they give up. Not sure if this is any help, what does your m/home weigh?

OP
OP
Gizmouk
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
have had a set of Fiammas for 4 years now, used them with our Bongo and with the Auto sleeper Transit. The Bongo is under 2.5 tons and the Transit is under 3.5 tons. Been OK but starting to split now, have bought some Towsure Milenco imitations look great but as yet we have not used them. The Fiamma blocks are lower so take up less room when not being used, and work fine unless the site is very sloping. I think I will replace the fiamma block when they give up. Not sure if this is any help, what does your m/home weigh?

4.5t
So well within the rated limit for the Fiamma blocks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I had the yellow fiammas and thought they were absolute rubbish so got the milenco triples. These were great until I went over the top! That's my only complaint about having an automatic as you can't slip the clutch .
Anyhow got the milenco quads and these are great, as I only go up to level three to save more embarrassment ! As stated they are big especially as we only have a PVC but as soon as we stop we put them out.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another vote for Milenco Quattro -now have these monsters having tried all Fiamma types(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had a set of these basic Fiamma for 8 years used on everything from 8ton Rv to current 5ton rig never had a problem and used on every type of surface including snow and ice and minus 25c in the alps. Think I paid about £15 when I bought them originally.
Keep it simple my motto cant see the need for all these massive convoluted ramps about nowadays.

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/carava...3xbvZ1uRmR4PNS0AVcSUrvPNPABbkMb32IaAgTv8P8HAQ

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Fiamma ones not high enough for fridge to work on some of the rally pitches we have been on!

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Another vote for Milenco Quattros, yes they are big, but are solidly built and being higher than most has resulted in a level van in places like the aire at Le Treport. Would not be without mine.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Me too Quatros they take a lot of stick as we are near two ton up front.
I bought another set at Peterborough for £33 bargain!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fiamma say they shouldn't be used on stones / gravel

Rubbish !!!

More like soft ground, as the thin ends will not sink as far as the centre section and can flex when running up the ramp so causing stress cracks in the center.

Gravel etc may chew up the smooth underneath surface but the whole levelling ramp is supported on firm ground.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Techno Its the sea level aire that needs the ramps. I wasn't impressed with the cliff top aire, slightly cheaper than below but not much in the way of views that you would expect cliff top and no electric

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We like the cliff top and the free lift. The sea level one is nice when the barrier will accept your cards and it isn't full
Both are in my aires gallery via the link in my signature.
The Funicular aire has been freshly tarmac'd on the upper level where the borne is.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Well my Autotrail Savannah at 4.4 ton crunched through Milenco Quattros and I have now cut the broken top ends off which gets rid of both the weight and the broken bits.

They will only be used as a last resort in future - got a decent quality set of German ones which are not so high but much stronger. I also have a home made set of wooden 3" ramps which are first class.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Our Fiamma ones started to split at the bottoms too, so we tried the Quattro ones & the tyres keep ripping bits of the tops of them? I can see I'll end having to make some.

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
On gravel pitches I just dig two holes for the tyres and drive into them, level!
On leaving I replace the gravel so the pitch is as I found it.

Wobby

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Same problem experienced with Fiamma (yellow) blocks splitting across middle. Our MGW 3000kgs so not overloaded.

Just ordered Thule replacement . Found them cheaper on E-Bay than Fiamma. Previous experience suggests Thule could be good quality but don't know yet. Would not replace with Fiamma in view of my experience and forum comments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back