Lesur battery passed away (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well it looks like the lessure battery's have passed away thay have been in constant use thay have served us well
Rip battery
Now to replace them but what with
Flooded lead acid or gell
Decision's
To me made
Bill

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What ever you decide upon will be expensive mate, hope got deep pockets & long arms? :whistle:

Let us know what you decide upon and why please?

Robert.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Hello Bill , i bought 2 115 amp batts , lead acid from halfords . I know people will scoff etc but they were cheap and will last if you look after them, they are often on offer. Like you i haven't got allot of penny's spare mate.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My choice:
LFD90 Varta Professional DC Leisure Battery 90Ah

buy from Tanya https://www.tayna.co.uk/LFD90-Varta-Professional-DC-Leisure-Battery-930090080-P3638.html

The Varta LFD90 is a Leisure battery that is not only a Starter Battery, but an absolutely outstanding one. It has one of the highest Marine Starter battery current ratings of any Battery in the same class, a staggering 1,000amps

(800CCA) at freezing point. Yes that is correct, at 0 degrees Centigrade.
In the depths of Winter this 'Leisure' battery will have the power to start the engine on a Truck.

We have therefore revised our advice slightly. Instead of putting the Varta Silver/Bosch S5 Starter battery in the Habitation area, we are now suggesting installing the Varta LFD90 Leisure Battery as both the Starter Battery and Habitation battery.

Under the bonnet and inside the vehicle.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology-2012.php

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am very suspicious of any battery that claims to be dual purpose, particularly if it is flooded lead acid. Short bursts of high amps needed for engine starting need different plates than long steady discharge typical of off grid motorhomes. Gel and agm may be a bit different, not had much experience of them. I agree with Richard and Ann the future is lifepo4.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hello Bill , i bought 2 115 amp batts , lead acid from halfords . I know people will scoff etc but they were cheap and will last if you look after them, they are often on offer. Like you i haven't got allot of penny's spare mate.
If you get Halfords to put the unique battery number on the receipt, that is your 2 year warranty i think.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
2x 120amp agm sealed as they are inside the van under the seat, just arrived from advanced battery supplies after speaking to them very helpful, the one thing to watch having carried them in from the courier is the weight!!

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
They warned against stop start as pausim mentions above

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
More delivery of power in short bursts as opposed to deep cycle discharge/ recharge

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Bill, flooded lead acid will do the job just fine sealed or top up that's up to you. I got 3 x 110amp from batterymegastore 3 years ago for 55 quid each and they are still working away.

These will do what you want x 2

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill, flooded lead acid will do the job just fine sealed or top up that's up to you. I got 3 x 110amp from batterymegastore 3 years ago for 55 quid each and they are still working away.
I bet that just standard battery's if any one knows abut battery's your the man
You got them abut the time I recuverd the battery's I have in the van
And that have lasted another three years
But plat has now shorted and deth has come to them
I have only ever had lesur battery once in 25 years of motor homing and standard lead acid have don the jod in every van I have had
Cheers bill

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The
I'm hoping our next battery will be lithium life P04. But it depends on how much the price comes down. Currently the cheapest I've seen is 600 quid :sick:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery
There are some on e bay 100ah for less than £300 delivered. Will charge using standard mh charger.

Supposed to run down by 80% and half the weight of lead acid.

I believe the ones for sale are used, but can be checked.

@Grommit might be interested

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The

There are some on e bay 100ah for less than £300 delivered. Will charge using standard mh charger.

Supposed to run down by 80% and half the weight of lead acid.

I believe the ones for sale are used, but can be checked.

@Grommit might be interested
600 for a pare my vans not even worth that:rofl:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have seen some of these used ones but they are lithium-ion not lifepo4. Not all lithium batteries are the same but at half the price perhaps worth considering. I would want to do some research on the difference between the two types, I think it was fires in lithium-ion batteries that caused the grounding of some Boeing planes a few years back.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My solar regulator has got a setting for lifepo4 batteries so I don't think it's ideal just charging with a standard charger.
If you read the description on the ebay listing or go to the manufacturers website it clearly says you can use existing equipment.

"Drop in"

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you read the description on the ebay listing or go to the manufacturers website it clearly says you can use existing equipment.

"Drop in"
I'm sure it does, after all what do they care as long as you buy one. If I spend £300+ on one I think I'll make sure it has a dedicated charger. The voltages are slightly different and the chemistry is totally different.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it definitely that the plates are difrent or is it a assumption
Bill
The plates "should" be different Bill, starter lots of thin plates and leisure should have less thicker plates, that why a good test is to check the weight.

Martin

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I'm sure it does, after all what do they care as long as you buy one. If I spend £300+ on one I think I'll make sure it has a dedicated charger. The voltages are slightly different and the chemistry is totally different.
I don't think a company like Valence would headline the fact if it were not true.

"Valence Technology, headquartered in Austin Texas, is a global leader among safe lithium ion battery manufacturers. Through our intuitive design, the manufacture of large lithium ion batteries as a “drop-in” replacement for lead-acid batteries is a reality. "

By the way i'm happy with the supplied wet batteries in my van.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The plates "should" be different Bill, starter lots of thin plates and leisure should have less thicker plates, that why a good test is to check the weight.

Martin
No one has managed to say yet that the plates are difrant.
I have even asked a battery sales man and he can't give me a definitive answer.
When he went in to his technical book and compare two battery with the same amp hrs he gave me the wight and nomber of plates
Then when he looked at lesur battery off the same amp he started just gibering cochging closed the book and would not discuss it further rely in my opinions starting battery's and lessure battery's are the Sam just labild difrantlay
I will continue my recerch till I find the true answer
But it could be the lessure battery's scam
Bill

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The answer is Bill they "should" be different, and probably are on better batteries.

When I built my setup I used great chargers, but cheap batteries. I figured that having good charging would increase the life of them. I use a lot of power, batteries are four years old and still fine.

Although in general I guess you get what you pay for. And nothing more reassuring that hearing from peoples personal experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back