Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The lesiure battery on my Ducato/swift suntor, is under the drivers seat, with the main battery in the usual place in the engine bay.
I checked the lesiure battery when I bought the MH last septemver, all ok, been away a few times since, no problems..but in truth, not been soleley relying on the battery. I decided to fit another battery under the passenger seat, the increase the capacity, so i took both seats out and found a problem.

battery2.jpg
battery3.jpg

As you can see, I hae wires going to the battery, the voltage measured is 12.8v with the engine off, and between 16 -17 with it running. However,there is another much thinker group of wires (3), that have a plug on the end that appears to go nowhere, the voltage measured on this, (discounting one of the wires, a thin one) is again, 12.8 engine off,...16-17 engine running.
I traced the spare wiring loom to a relay in the engine bay, there are two 30amp (of which this is one) and one 50 amp.

Now I can see that the battery is being charged by the smaller wiring set up,...but how is power getting to the habitation 12v set up?
I think ist probably guesswork thinking why the other cabling is there, but would i be able to run it direct to another battery under the passenger seat, and if so, how would I link THAT to the habitation 12v?

Am I right in guessing, athat one of the relays, is feeding the habitation panel? and therefore this may not happen with the thicker set of wires, thats why they have been superceded by those connected to the battery? And am I also right to think that just connecting a second battery in paralelll, would do the job I want it to do?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have no idea about the Swift wiring, but I would check that voltage with the engine running again.
16-17 volts is way too high. Around 14.5 volts is normal.It could indicate a faulty alternator regulator which could cause expensive electronic stuff to go pop!:cry:

The cables to your leisure battery look woefully thin too, I suspect a previous owner has been meddling with the wiring.............
I would hazard a guess that the large black plug should have another connected to it which should then be connected to your leisure battery. Where that went missing is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I think i may have a problem with my tester, ive just tested every battery i have(5) and they all read in excess of 15volts:Angry:...reckon my tester must be playing up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
I have a Sift sundance 2002 on a Ducato.......under the bonnet there are several relays and these are the split charging relays and associated fuses.....one of which supplies the 12v to the fridge.Not too sure about the unused plug.On the face of it connecting another battery in parallel should be ok.
Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think i may have a problem with my tester, ive just tested every battery i have(5) and they all read in excess of 15volts:Angry:...reckon my tester must be playing up.
i had the same problem a few years ago....replace the 9v internal battery in the tester.... guaranteed to give a correct reading then.

when you've changed the battery, test the voltage on the old one.....i bet its less than 7v

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Right, thats that little drama sorted. you were spot on John. I got up early to go into work and raid my toolbox for my other tester. When i got home, i replaced the battery in the other one......correct readings:Angry:, I was glad it was,nt buggered though, as it was an expensive one with the "dwell/tacho/cylinder" testing i need for the old landy.
I rechecked the batteries again, all reading the same with the eingine off, and within a couple of seconds of starting, all reading the same with the engine running. max voltages 14.5 volts.
Before testing, I had fitted the second battery under the passenger seat, secured it, and conmnected it to the other one. A nice little job, good sized wires with proper sleeving over them, all hidden away:thumb:.
I,ll probably pick up a battery master at Newark, just to protect the engine starting, and i,ll fit a couple of voltmeters so that i can see the state of charge on the lesiure batts without fiddling under seats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back