Lenovo Tab 2 A10 Full HD 10 Inch 16GB Tablet (1 Viewer)

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Hi all ,,, looking at replacing my aging laptop. Wife has a ipad which is great but expensive so looking at the above tablet.
My use is general web browsing etc. I'm also looking at down loading one of the recommended sat navigation systems from this site.
Has anyone got a Lenovo tablet as above or similar which they can recommend
My only other question is when you down load a sat navigation onto a tablet does it need a sim to be fitted or are they used off line and will the Lenovo above work as a sat nav.

Thanks Paul

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Not a bad tablet, if a little dated now. Brother in law has the Lenovo Tab 3 and looks OK. Both have old versions of android 5.0. The Samsung 10" tablet is a little more ÂŁ but has same screen resolution but has newer octacore processor and newer version of android. Most sat nav app don't need data to work but the maps can eat up the memory.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Using a nexus 10 myself, updated to the latest android version and 32GB memory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The question is do you really want a small laptop or a tablet, they are quite different beasties.

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
The question is do you really want a small laptop or a tablet, they are quite different beasties.
Good question ,, love the laptop when typing and I like the ergonomics of moving around screens etc. but I'm thinking with the tablet they are easier to use around the motorhome , some of the apps are really fantastic which you can not get easily on the laptop , it can be used as a reader (leave kindle at home) can be used as a sat nav.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
If you like a keyboard you can always use a bluetooth one with a tablet - they work quite well.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've an old Tab 2 in the bottom of a drawer gathering dust. Got it from Tesco Direct in Dec 15, cashed in some of those clubcard points for it.

This is critical information:

Both have old versions of android 5.0.

Critical because Lenovo will NOT release any future Andriod updates.

Perhaps for the A3, I don't know, but the A2, definitely not.

My advice? Avoid.

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I've an old Tab 2 in the bottom of a drawer gathering dust. Got it from Tesco Direct in Dec 15, cashed in some of those clubcard points for it.

This is critical information:

Critical because Lenovo will NOT release any future Andriod updates.

Perhaps for the A3, I don't know, but the A2, definitely not.

My advice? Avoid.
Thanks ,, will bight the bullet and get a Samsung , problem again which one , to do all the above e.g. plenty of apps , run sat nav off line etc.
Cheers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you can get a 32Gb version I would go with that. My 16Gb tablet (a Nexus 9) struggled to load Co-Pilot as the maps took up a lot of memory. The latest Android version 7 seems to much better at managing memory (the OS and apps take up much less room) but you would need to check if the one you plan to buy has it, because it may not.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If you can get a 32Gb version I would go with that. My 16Gb tablet (a Nexus 9) struggled to load Co-Pilot as the maps took up a lot of memory. The latest Android version 7 seems to much better at managing memory (the OS and apps take up much less room) but you would need to check if the one you plan to buy has it, because it may not.
Agree with the memory, both my nexus tablets have 32GB, wouldn't have any less. Looking at Samsung 10 inch with 32GB they seem quite expensive.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have a samsung galaxy tab s ,only 16gb but I downloaded the maps for copilot on to my 64gb sd card if that's any help. I'm thinking of getting g a keyboard for it as well.
The next tablet I buy will definitely have at least 34gb as a lot of apps can't be moved to the sd card. Plus I can't download to the sd card even though forums say you can.I have set the default download location to sd card but it still will not do it.
Ps, the only thing that will let me download to sd card is amazon prime.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Critical because Lenovo will NOT release any future Android updates.

Just to point out why this is critical information ;)

Sure, you may not wish to update the operating system (the Android OS itself) or even care about it that much, but if you have some fave apps they'll probably be getting updated all the time by the developers, especially in the case of satnav apps for example.

The problem you'll run in to with an outdated mobile OS is that the app(s) will all require a minimum version of Android. Developers usually only support one or two older versions at the most so there will come a time when you can no longer update your fave apps because the operating system is too old.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a samsung galaxy tab s ,only 16gb but I downloaded the maps for copilot on to my 64gb sd card if that's any help. I'm thinking of getting g a keyboard for it as well.
The next tablet I buy will definitely have at least 34gb as a lot of apps can't be moved to the sd card. Plus I can't download to the sd card even though forums say you can.I have set the default download location to sd card but it still will not do it.
Ps, the only thing that will let me download to sd card is amazon prime.
Don't know for sure but on my phone I can download stuff to the phone then move it to the memory card, I have here maps , sygic maps, and google maps , all with their own downloaded maps of, gb, France, Belgium and Portugal, and no where near used all my memory.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Don't know for sure but on my phone I can download stuff to the phone then move it to the memory card, I have here maps , sygic maps, and google maps , all with their own downloaded maps of, gb, France, Belgium and Portugal, and no where near used all my memory.
Ive tried the Sygic but found the Free "Here we go" app better, it can be used on or offline.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ive tried the Sygic but found the Free "Here we go" app better, it can be used on or offline.
Yes , think I agree , tried the sygic because it has lane information and stuff, but here has never let us down, whereas sygic takes some very strange local routes.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
lenovo are good items, i have a lenovo mobile. only use it in the m/h.
it has all the latest maps etc, and there is a web site that you can download newer android op systems from.
sorry ive not got the website but think you can google it.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Have a look at huawei range I have a p9 phone and can't fault it and seriously considering one of their 10 inch pads with 4g so it will run mapping

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
apparently these are excellent XGODY on ebay IMHO very cheap and good vlaue for money
Thinking of getting one myself
All over Scottish Motorhome Wildcapers facebook group all the rage recently
Link Removed
can get one without a keyboard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back