LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is the first decent internet connection we had had since we started our trek 2 weeks ago, Fon connections fairly rare in Germany, using a paying hot spot at the moment. So now I can bore you with our trek so far.

This years trek started off with first night stop at Plage de Bray-Dunes as recommended by another Funster, got moved on in the morning by a Gendarme. Next morning onwards west to Caravan Salon at Düsseldorf, after spending nearly a week there (that was not the plan) see my report Post #37 in this thread.

After Düsseldorf on Saturday we headed south for the Mosel valley, spent the first night on a free stellplatz in Brodenbach.
P1070201.JPG

Having a much needed lazy few days after Düsseldorf, carried on along the valley on Sunday and found another free stellplatz just outside Cochem.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Monday stopped to have lunch in the van at Ediger, had a walk along the river bank nice stellplatz in centre of village on the river bank discovered one free space so left Mijhan there to ward of any Germans while I went and got the van. Success, she only had to tell one lot of Germans “who von zee var”.
A very nice typical wine village spent a couple of nights there 2nd evening had a nice walk up through the vines to the top of the hill only 3 or 4miles but very relaxing, weather has been very good a few showers on Sunday apart from that wall to wall sunshine with temps between 22 – 30 deg.
P1070203.JPG

P1070215.JPG

P1070244.JPG

P1070220.JPG

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Then onwards towards Bernkastel-Kues, about 5 miles past Bernkastel at Lieser found a cracking stellplatz that does not appear to be in any of the guides. It was like a park by the river with a Motorhome parking sign no servicing but it was free.

IMG_20160908_102503.jpg

Next day gentle cycle ride into Bernkastel part of the mission was to find a dentist as a couple of days ago I lost a big filling. After a nice lunch mission at dentist accomplished, although wallet €60 lighter. Also discovered Wine Street Festival at Lieser the coming weekend.

When it comes to lunch can't compete with @Robert Clark

IMG_20160908_142147.jpg

IMG_20160908_142150.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
On Friday gentle 18 mile cycle ride along the river and the wine fest in the evening, a very good evening. Spent some time discussing Britex with a German I think he was a local council leader, very much in favour of a Federal Europe.
Saturday did an E-bike trail only about 12 miles took us through forest trails up to the top of the hills and through a few small villages on small roads, quite strenuous even on e- bikes.
Back to the wine fest in the evening Ompaha bands everywhere Rock around the Clock played by an Ompha band was a first. Very busy tonight a great firework display, set off from the top of the vineyards the fireworks lit up the whole town from above.

P1070279.JPG

P1070280.JPG

P1070346.JPG

Sunday moved another 100 miles south to Bad Dürkheim in the Rhine area temp 31 today at 4pm, yes you have guessed another wine fest, a big one for the area. This town had the biggest Saline wall we have seen about 300-400yds long. The festival was a bit of a disappointment it was in the market place tacked onto a big funfair not the same local atmosphere like Lieser and the wine didn’t agree with me feel a bit rough this morning (couldn’t possibly be the volume of wine).

P1070378.JPG

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Did they notice your van was smashed up when you traded it in?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Did they notice your van was smashed up when you traded it in?
All fixed by a local boat repair man absolutely perfect job. My dealer didn't bother to look at van. Also visited a carthago dealer in Bavaria would match trade in price not interested in looking at the van.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Monday lasy day and late afternoon carried on down the wine road, only made 20km to Neustadt an der Weinstrasse. Nice Stellplatz but right next to a busy very noisy road, town was a bit of a disappointment one interesting fountain that was about it.

P1070389.JPG

Next day carried on to Sankt Martin a whole 5km, stopped on the way to walk up Kelmit 643m (2109 ft) so it took us all day to get to Sankt Martin. Nice walk up through forests, summit was a bit overdeveloped for our tastes, large communications mast and a café to add insult to injury café was closed so no beer for Lenny.
Sankt Martin is a lovely pristine village with a nice free stellplatz, well worth the stop.

Came across a rickity hide on the parth up to Kelmit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB love the B678 DL or PL have you decided yet?
Boss prefered DL I prefered PL, the DL is nice and fresh looking but more expensive than PL as a lot of bits that are standard on the PL are options on the DL. DL was €5k (net ex VAT) dearer, further negoations got another 6K off and a furter 2K of options thrown in so now cheaper than PL.
Visited a Carthago dealer in Bravaria and have got a very good deal on a Chic C line but although they seem better built than the Hymers we don't think we can live with the cramped lounge and poor showers. Don't know how big germans get on with them my wife is 4'10" and 7 stone and she finds the lounge small & cramped!.

So if we change think if will be the B 678 DL, with the deal we have been offered it would be silly not to.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wednesday left the wine road and headed east to Bad Wimpfen, a beautiful old town. Stellplatz at a wellness type health centre €8 but also got caught for €3.30 tourist tax could have parked in the station car park for €2 but would have been a bit noisy with the main road next to it.

P1070435.JPG

P1070436.JPG

P1070437.JPG

P1070439.JPG

P1070442.JPG

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Then on to Schwäbisch Hall much larger town but nice old centre and another free night on their stellplatz.

P1070462.JPG

P1070464.JPG

P1070466.JPG

Next day went on to visit a Carthago dealer offered us a couple of very good deals but still not sure we can live with a Carthago. Carried on down towards Austria and spent the night at Immenstadt, good choice it was Octoberfest night.

P1070506.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Smashing pictures Lenny looks like the weather is being good to you enjoy the rest of your trip.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks, worse trip we have ever had for internet access finding it very difficult to post photos. Got the 3 deal on bosses phone can get around the no tethering for email, whatts app & facebook but not for general browsing and her phone hasn't got a nice big screen like mine makes ith too awkward to do good posts.
Been pissing down last 3 days and cpld 12-14 deg, will be in Otaly later today hopefully warmer

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Lenny I know you have LHD like me but do the dealer's make any issue about the basic GB changes, sockets, lights and speedo on the px?
Michael

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny I know you have LHD like me but do the dealer's make any issue about the basic GB changes, sockets, lights and speedo on the px?
Michael
Mine is Euro spec apart from the handbooks which are in English and I have the kmh speedo dial I can put back in.
Been given a price without anyone looking in the van

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks, worse trip we have ever had for internet access finding it very difficult to post photos. Got the 3 deal on bosses phone can get around the no tethering for email, whatts app & facebook but not for general browsing and her phone hasn't got a nice big screen like mine makes ith too awkward to do good posts.
Been pissing down last 3 days and cpld 12-14 deg, will be in Otaly later today hopefully warmer
Have you tried manually selecting another carrier?
We find this helps in France

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@Lenny HB , your thread is inspiring us. We love Germany, and had thought of travelling down to Croatia next year. Now we've read about your stop-off at the Dusseldorf show, and your negotiation of your lovely new van, it's inspired us even more!
Enjoy your trip, and keep posting the photos.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you tried manually selecting another carrier?
We find this helps in France
In Italy at the moment just tried again and working fine, looks like all the data does not get passed on by all carriers to 3.
Thanks for the tip.

Edit stopped after 20min, changed networks now working again and much faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Onward down to Austria and met up with my mate & his wife on a stellplatz at the campsite at the top of Achensee. A bit pricy at €20 (23,50 with EHU) they were fully serviced places and you could use all the site facilities, shower best I’ve ever seen very posh. Turned into an expensive evening, €21 in the washers & dryers and another €50 in the restaurant.

P1070533.JPG

Posh shower
P1070542.JPG

Following night spent wilding in the mountains, had to get up early (8:00) to turn the heating on, only 5 deg outside & 9 in the van. Hadn’t realised we were quite so high 5000 ft not far below the snow line also don’t get much output from solar panels covered in frost.

Morning view

P1070554.JPG

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Now in the warm again in Italy, were going to spent the night in a nice town with Roman remains aquaducts etc., but car park was full with the fairground Itinerants.

Moved on to another town Redipuglia that has a car park that was listed in Camper Contact but not in the latest version. As we drove in a sign banning Motorhomes & caravans between 20:00 to 08:00 but at the back of the car park a separate section with a parking sign for Motorhomes & caravans decided to risk it no one has moved us on yet doubt if they will it’s out of season.

Found out we were by a WW1 Austro Hungarian monument to those who lost their lives, one of the old battle fields has been turned into a garden of remembrance and museum also several small museums remembering the Italians that lost their lives. Heard a bugle playing in the evening we think they must have an evening ceremony We spent most of the morning looking around before moving on.

P1070564.JPG

P1070565.JPG

P1070567.JPG

P1070569.JPG

P1070578.JPG

P1070597.JPG

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you ordered the new van yet, or are you still procrastinating?
Dinner looks nice btw - bit too much for me though.
Did you cook the lamb in the oven or outside?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you ordered the new van yet, or are you still procrastinating?
Dinner looks nice btw - bit too much for me though.
Did you cook the lamb in the oven or outside?
We signed a contract for the van at Caravan Salon but have until 15th Oct to cancel, decided last night to go ahead. Really do like the build quality of Carthago's but decided we couldn't live with their layouts.
The lamb coked in a frying pan outside on one of those cheap single gas burnners they work better than Smeg hobs.

Only thing deciding with the van is whether to have the Thetford cooker or suffer another TecTower. Mi although she is only 4" 10 is leaning towards the TecTower it leaves more draw space and looks prettier but the Thetford oven works better and a lot safer to use.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We signed a contract for the van at Caravan Salon but have until 15th Oct to cancel, decided last night to go ahead. Really do like the build quality of Carthago's but decided we couldn't live with their layouts.
The lamb coked in a frying pan outside on one of those cheap single gas burnners they work better than Smeg hobs.

Only thing deciding with the van is whether to have the Thetford cooker or suffer another TecTower. Mi although she is only 4" 10 is leaning towards the TecTower it leaves more draw space and looks prettier but the Thetford oven works better and a lot safer to use.
Didn't realise you had an option on cookers - we had a Thetford built under oven/hob in the Bessie. The control knobs got so hot they melted.

When can you expect delivery?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Heard about the knobs before (not mine:)) I think they have cured that problem. Always amazes me how big companies like Thetford Dometic etc., get it so wrong so often.

Delivery early March last two Hymers have been ready a week or two earlier than given date. Means we will have to suffer a cold wet winter at home.

On the 3 thing found out if you change networks you can get away with tethering for about 30min and often if it's not 3's partner it is a lot quicker. After what people have said about them throttling the speed we have not noticed this, often faster than the UK.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back