Leisure batts not charging from engine (1 Viewer)

M

Mayurua

Deleted User
Hi Everyone
got some charging issues at moment have had the multimeter out today it seems that the engine alternator is not charging the leisure batteries it charges the starting battery ok. i think i read something somewhere that there may be a fuse somewhere that has blown (fleetwood Southwind on Ford Chassis 1994 . its like looking for a needle in a haystack so before i spend hours trying to locate it i will ask you guys 1st.
Thanks
Dave

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try tracing the wire from the batteries back to where the fuse is, sorry not got any better suggestions apart from using the meter on ALL the fuses (if you can find them!)

Perhaps some one more knowledgable on your van will come along

Peter

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Everyone
got some charging issues at moment have had the multimeter out today it seems that the engine alternator is not charging the leisure batteries it charges the starting battery ok. i think i read something somewhere that there may be a fuse somewhere that has blown (fleetwood Southwind on Ford Chassis 1994 . its like looking for a needle in a haystack so before i spend hours trying to locate it i will ask you guys 1st.
Thanks
Dave

Isn't there also a relay in circuit that isolates the Leisure battery from the main Battery when the vehicle is parked up so you don't flatten the vehicle battery?

Just a thought.

Mine is on the bulkhead in the engine bay.

Have you a wiring diagram?

I invested in a circuit tracer a month ago and it's invaluable for this sort of thing. Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No Charge?

Hi

I had a '87 Pace Arrow, (Chevy 6.2 engine) there was a solenoid (big fat thing, like the old fashioned Starter solenoids) under the front cover which was SUPPOSED to cut off the House batteries until the alternator started charging.

Two of these "burned out" before I discovered that some previous "twit" had wired it permanently in line and it was constantly connected!!. Mine was fused from the main connector/Fuse box, which if I am right is under the Dashboard? grovel on the back, head under steering wheel!!! to see it!!

Hope this is of help

Pete

OP
OP
M

Mayurua

Deleted User
Thanks american dream
When you say relay is it a relay that looks like a relay on a normal car little black cube or one of those big chunky american metal ones ?

I Wish i did have a wiring diagram going to try and find one in a bit

As for the wiring tracing tool going to order one right now next job

Thanks again

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Some older motorhomes used to have a diode isolator instead of a solenoid or relay. This is easy to spot because of the large aluminium fins that act as a heat sink.

Some motorhomes, even today, don't charge the house (leisure) batteries from the engine alternator. Did yours once do that, then stop charging?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks american dream
When you say relay is it a relay that looks like a relay on a normal car little black cube or one of those big chunky american metal ones ?

I Wish i did have a wiring diagram going to try and find one in a bit

As for the wiring tracing tool going to order one right now next job

Thanks again

Big chunky thing.Mine is mounted on the bulkhead near the battery.

Saw one recently on FleaBay.Link Removed

Similar to THIS one...

f75e_35.JPG

Last edited:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
That looks a lot like a crossover relay that allows you to start the engine from the house (leisure) battery when the starting battery is dead. If so, this is not the relay that isolates the two battery banks for the purpose of charging.

I'd expect that crossover relay to be located very close to the batteries with heavy wires going to those large terminals. The charging wires will be much smaller than those large wires.

OTOH it could be what the description says - a disconnect relay that allows you to shut off the battery from inside the coach instead of using a manual battery switch in the battery bay. We have both the manual switch and the disconnect relay in ours, but neither has anything to do with isolating the two battery banks while charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
You could contact Fleetwood by email or phone (expensive call) with your coach number and ask where the fuse and relay are. Manufacturers can usually pull up the build sheets and tell you where they hid stuff. OTOH in today's economy, maybe nobody answers the phone or emails.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Ian,

Our prior Pace Arrow was the same way your Southwind is (both are Fleetwood products). That's why I previously asked Mayurua if his had ever charged and it stopped doing that. Without the answer to that, he might have a long search for the cause ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back