Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
We have a AT Apache, 2013.
Always left on hookup when at home, went away for a couple of days on Tuesday, put TV on & after about half an hour or so turned itself off due to lack of power.
Checked panel & said leisure battery ' poor'. Moved van in morning, only a five minute trip & panel then said leisure battery 'good'.
Same thing happened again,
Any ideas, do I need new batteries ?
If so, what are the best, we have two?
Many Thanks
Neil.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Your panel is obviously just reading voltage so after being on charge for a while driving it then sees the voltage as high and says good, capacity is a different thing all together and your experience does suggest you need new batteries, are your existing ones flooded lead acid and can they be/do they need topping up.

What are the best? now there's a question, for a start ones that fit your space would be good and then make sure that your charger both mains and solar can handle the type of battery i.e lead, gel, AGM etc after that go for the heaviest battery you can get for a given capacity I like Gel's but they are a lot more money than standard flooded lead acid, bang for buck something like the Varta LFD that a lot of people on here use.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It sounds like the batteries are done and have no capacity ..
How old are they and what sort of life have they led..ie have they been left in a discharged state for periods without charging..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
It sounds like the batteries are done and have no capacity ..
How old are they and what sort of life have they led..ie have they been left in a discharged state for periods without charging..
Andy

Thanks Andy,
Batteries will be 4 years old, we use van regularly but not always on hook up when not being used, put on hook up during cold spells to power oil filled radiator.
Neil

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks Andy,
Batteries will be 4 years old, we use van regularly but not always on hook up when not being used, put on hook up during cold spells to power oil filled radiator.
Neil
Well 4 yrs is acceptable use to me , but I always make sure the batteries get charged asap on the mains charger after I've been away...
They are 5 yrs + now and are still serviceble but not the capacity they used to be...
Keeping lead acids properly charged is key to their performance and longevity..
Andy.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You might like to consider getting an Optimate charger they are very good at recovering batteries that still retain some voltage, have a read and see what you think, i have a smaller one for my motorcycle.

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
You might like to consider getting an Optimate charger they are very good at recovering batteries that still retain some voltage, have a read and see what you think, i have a smaller one for my motorcycle.

Thanks Chris,
I use one on my motorbike as well, didn't know about using one on Motorhome.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I don't know which one you have but the Optimate 5 is good for batteries up to 190 amps so should be useful for a motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back