Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

benabbyg

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Anglesey
Funster No
Exp
Began Sept 2008
Hi, I'm very new to Motorhoming (Sept 08) done a few small trips and so far so good, should have got one years ago! (Tenting for the last 15 yrs, but kids had enough of cold wet mornings) Became a member of this site and find it a pleasure to read the various facts you guys know so much about.
I've a (very basic) question: I had to put in a new leisure battery, so put in an 85ahr, I now know it would've been better to put in a 110.
Could I link a new 110 directly to the (almost new) 85? If so how is it done and will my Lunar Champ A551 (2005 model) be able to cope with charging them both on (a rare) hook up and whilst I'm traveling? Many Thanks in advance.
:thanks:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You can.......the question you need to be asking though is do you really need it? Depends a lot on what you are running off battery only and for how long.

I have just one 85ah battery in my campervan but could easily fit a 110ah and have enough room and wiring in place to couple up a bank of two more. But i use my van daily as well as for touring, and never managed to flatten the leisure battery yet!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Benabbyg, Yes you can add extra batteries, i understand that it is best have them all the same amp hour rating. So you can add another 85ah. Why they should be the same I am not sure, I know nothing about electricity and I am sure one of the cleverer funsters will be able to tell you why this is so.

Meanwhile, welcome to the fun. :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

In an ideal situation batteries should be the same type, size, age and make.. mixing two different sizes isn't a good idea, the 85ah will drag the 110h down and there is a risk of overcharging the 85ah.

In your situation I would buy another 85 ah, if possible the same make.. your charger will be able to cope ok but it will take twice as long to recharge.

Connected the new battery in parallel with the old, ie .. pos to pos and neg to neg using the same size cable as used to connect your original battery.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Benabbyg,

Welcome to the forum,

We have a 3 x battery bank set up just as Jim (Scotjimland) describes above, ie, same size batteries, same age, etc. The only downside, is as Jim says, they do take longer to charge up, even with a good quality multi stage charger.

Our solar panel deals with the charging for most of the time.

Regards,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have just fitted two new 110ah batteries in place of the single110ah that was on.
no probs at all charging them either running engine, on hookup/generator or solar panel.
the panel does keep them topped up all the time even when its overcast and miserable.
if you do buy another one just connect them as scotjimland says...pos to pos...neg to neg.

pos to neg will give you a big bang when you connect the second wire so take care.:Eeek:

another point is make sure you fit a fuse at BOTH ends of the pos link wire just incase it rubs on anything and shorts out.
i used 35amp car type fuses and 7sqmm cable (50 amp rated) to connect them.

hope this helps.

john.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back