Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
April 2016 Lots to Learn!
Hi folks This is basic but...Is it normal practice for the leisure battery to be included in sale of motorhome unless dealer states in advert otherwise, and what would a typical battery cost and weigh. this would be for a PVC. Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Wouldn't buy a van without one and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The dealer will probably (& quite sensibly) fit the cheapest thing he can find. You might be better to negotiate a price reduction & fit whatever you want. It depends how much you intend to rely on it - if you are mostly on sites with EHU, then get the dealer to supply & fit - it won't matter much what he puts in. If you plan to fit solar panels & rely on your stored power, then it would be better to specify everything, including the battery, yourself.

You also need to know what the in-build charger is capable of - no point in buying AGM or Gel batteries if the charger is only designed for the standard wet acid type. Having said that, a lot of people do get away with using AGMs with a standard charger.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Make sure the stealer fits a proper leisure battery & not an ordinary car / van engine starting battery

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
The dealer will probably (& quite sensibly) fit the cheapest thing he can find.
I must give credit to Southdowns at Portsmouth here. When I bought the van last April it needed a new leisure battery, which they said they would fit. I did not specify anything, and I rather assumed, as above, that something cheap would be fitted. I did a lot of research and decided that when the time came I would install Varta Professional dual purpose batteries. I then discovered that that was exactly what Southdowns had fitted, and two of them, to boot. So not all dealers are niggardly; well done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Busker

Busker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
April 2016 Lots to Learn!
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply and the welcome advice, have got a lot of homework to do. Oh and that looks like a fine bodhran,. TheCaller Thanks again

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I must give credit to Southdowns at Portsmouth here.
I've heard other people say good things about Southdowns. (y) Always nice to hear about someone who does it right - they do exist; it's just that mostly we hear about it when things go wrong!

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Oh and that looks like a fine bodhran,. TheCaller
It is. (y) That particular one isn't mine, but I have two by the same maker, one of which is very similar.

Made in California by a chap from Grimsby! :)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've heard other people say good things about Southdowns. (y) Always nice to hear about someone who does it right - they do exist; it's just that mostly we hear about it when things go wrong!
Bought my SH Hymer from them a couple of years ago - couldn't fault them.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back