leisure battery warning light flashing - what should we do, step by step? (1 Viewer)

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Hi all knowledgable Motorhomers,
We are first timers and have a 1996 imported (2007) A cass Hymer b644 sitting outside. We have only spent 2 nights in it, ever, so are real newbies. Firstly, its an import so all the built-in stuff is in German, and this isn't in the manual. So our first tester night away was on hook up. All fine. Before the journey there, we didn't kill the leisure battery and the warning light started flashing. We noticed it at the half way point and turned it off and before we arrived it stopped flashing. We only noticed it was flashing again once we arrived at our second night's booked no EHU site. Then drove it for about 40 miles, still flashing, and now reads about 10. This didn''t change all the way home and is still the same. We still had power in the led lights, water pump etc but we didn't know how long that would last. At home we plugged it back in and the light stopped flashing, but as soon as it is unplugged the flashing started again.

We know nothing about anything and can barely change a tyre, so don't know where to turn. We intend to go off for 12 months so need Aires and wild camping often, possibly holing up in Morocco in Winter. We think the battery is at the end of its life but don't actually know how to replace it. It has been like this now for a couple of weeks. The battery has a vent but we can't see the label and don't know what type it is.
Should we try to remove it now? Is it dangerous? It is in the cab accessible under the floor and from outside. We tried to book a habitation service, but are in South East London and many mobile servicers a) won't come near and b) are booked up for months. We have no driveway and can't keep it plugged in across the pavement!
Is there anywhere we can drive to near-ish South or West London to get them to test and replace it while we wait prior to our habitation service in 6 weeks time? If its not dangerous should we wait till then?
If we have to remove it ourselves, what do we need to 'disconnect' first? Can't seem to find any actual instructions anywhere about this. If it needs to be isolated from the starter battery first, can we get a normal mechanic to do this or is it so simple we can attempt it? Some people say remove the positive first and others the negative. Should we remove any fuses from the 'Schaudt Electroblok' or from the fusebox that looks like our house fusebox in the Hymer's garage. Blimey. And this is only one of our 5 questions we have!
Hope you can understand this. Any advice appreciated. We think we might get solar panels for our trip, but what does anybody think? But forst - changing the battery!
Thanks all.
battery top.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You battery has had it and needs replacing asap.

If you have a solar panel then disconnect it at the solar regulator then disconnect the POSITIVE battery wire first.
Replace the POSITIVE wire first then the solar panel wiring.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Is it a brand new van if so its under warranty?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As @pappajohn says battery shot just though if it was new you may have cause to claim on warranty but sounds like you don't

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi and welcome ..
You have lost me on the flashing leisure battery light... but I'm not familiar with your van and it's set up... but there will be those on here that are...
There are a lot of points but general comment would be it sounds like you could benefit from installing two leisure batteries and a solar panel..
Changing the battery over yourself shouldn't be difficult if you are prepared to have a go..
This forum is a mine of friendly information and help..

And this is only one of our 5 questions we have!
Sounds like you would benefit from joining.. and not restricting yourself to 5 questions...
Ta andy...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I possibly share your same level of ability when it comes to my MH, for peace of mind get it changed by someone who knows how to do it, however easy some on here will make it sound

Get a price first, not sure if they do them but Halfords I don't think charge to fit, but may not be the cheapest (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your Hymer may have been fitted with Gel batteries originally, you now have standard wet/flooded cell batteries if the Elecktroblock charger has been left on the Gel setting it will have cooked the wet cells you need to check this.

If it has the Gel setting it will have a switch something like this:
upload_2016-4-24_21-57-57.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Gosh - thanks everybody! This is so cool to have such a great load of contributions. and really helpful.
We don't have any space for a second battery, unless 2 smaller ones fit in the same hole as this one is in, and we don't have a solar panel yet, so if we take this battery out, (we haven't actually got any spanners yet) what do we swith 'off' before disconnecting, and what do we disconnect first or does it not matter? Will certainly look into the gell setting - I had read that these Hymers were designed to take a gell battery. Guy we bught it off had it for 4 years and never changed it.
Will it do the van any harm to leave the battery in and connected till we can wok it out?
Or is it ok to simply get it out and leave nothing in the space till the new one arrives? feel like we have a mountain of knowledge to climb, and we aren't even in the foothills yet!
When we go we want to be posting on blogs so will need to be charging computers almost daily, hence the possible solar panel addition.
Thanks for now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hymers normally have a 50 amp and a 2 amp fuse mounted close to the battery best to pull these before disconnecting. Better to leave the battery in situ until you have a new one.

OP
OP
L

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Thanks Lenny.
Will do, and we have a guy coming in about 5 weeks who says he can install a new batt with the solar panels - we (more me than he) are just worried about the risk of one of those gas explosions we don't want.
And Stealaway,
Would you measure the space before buying two? The ones you reccommend look and sound great, but dont seem the same shape as what we have now. Perhaps one larger one that fills the well? Will measure tomorrow. No space under the seats - is has something elecrtical there.
Who knew batteries were so much more complicated than weight?!! Haha!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ignor my eairler advice brain wasn't in gear it would be best to disconnect the battery as if leaving it for 5 weeks if it is shot and you drive the van or connect it to the mains the battery may gas off giving off dangerous fumes.

OP
OP
L

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Thanks, Lenny
Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Have you any advice on disconnecting it? There is a photo in the original post. Is there a special order of taking the things off? pos first for example, or should it not matter if we pull the fuses first?

And should we then remove it ir is it safe in situ, in your opinion?
Many thanks for being so helpful and vigilant!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
With a car you always disconnect Neg first with a Motorhome as no exposed metal chassis nearby it doesn't matter.

Have you checked the charger settings?

OP
OP
L

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
One more thing - here is an image of the electroblok. The 50 amp fuse is clear enough, but the 2 amp one is eluding us. Can anyone see it or know where it is? If we can't find it, can we just close the 50 amp fuse and disconnect the batter safely that way?

Again, thanks

Attachments

• P1080735.JPG
    P1080735.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 52
  • P1080736.JPG
    P1080736.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 49
  • P1080737.JPG
    P1080737.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
L

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Ok, now subscribed!
No Lenny, there was nothing that indicated any gel switch that I could see. I have to go to do some work now - look forward to hearing any more suggestions.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my post yesterday I made an almost unforgivable error.

Instead of POSITIVE the text should read NEGATIVE.....making sure the lead cannot come into contact with the battery post once removed.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had a look at the EBL104-3 manual from the Schaudt website. It is the only EBL104 manual available in the downloads section and is only available in German (perhaps this model was not fitted to export vehicles). I can glean from it that both Gel and Lead-Acid batteries are suitable although there appears not to be any reference to changing a selector switch. This is confirmed by looking at the circuit diagram which shows no switch (whereas on the diagram for my later EBL99 there is switch shown). The EBL104 manual indicates that the charging programme is a WoU type whereas the EBL99 and later models, have a iUoU programme. I think the EBL104 charging programme therefore does not have the option for a long or short stage 2 charge - hence the lack of a selector switch for Lead-Acid or Lead-Gel. The maximum charging voltage is 14.4v and the float is 13.8v. When the battery voltage dips below 13.2v, the cycle is repeated.

The 50 amp fuse that Lenny has referred to is not on the EBL, it is located next to the habitation battery. The 2 amp one should be next to it. However, the EBL104 diagram shows 30 amp fuses in the battery lines where the EBL99 diagram shows 50 amp so perhaps they should have a lower rating.

Sorry of this reply looks a bit technical to the original poster but it may help others to help you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That is the conclusion I came to and I believe Hymers of this vintage were fitted with Gel batteries and I would think this would be the best replacement.
What do you think Philip @JeanLuc ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Well, since it can handle either, I guess it's down to whether the OP is happy to pay for gel. But since the charging programme is probably more suitable for gel, I'd agree with you Lenny.
One important point for the OP, Hymer normally use black or blue cable for +ve and brown for -ve 12 volt wiring. Be careful to check before disconnecting the old battery.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Go to ATS or similar, they'll sell you a new battery and fit it for you. Less chance of back strain that way.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With a car you always disconnect Neg first with a Motorhome as no exposed metal chassis nearby it doesn't matter.

Have you checked the charger settings?

& the same with a motorhome !! Always the negative first-
My MH has a steel leisure battery tray bolted direct to the chassis.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
For Gel's Tanya Batteries are the best price, here are some links, SL75 Sonnenschien Gel or Exide GS900 9G80) Gel.
Sonnenschien are part of the Exide group and make the Gel's for Exide, the SL75 is a direct replacement for the Exide and reckoned to be slightly better, I fitted 2 to my van recently and I am very pleased with their performance.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Linden,
Given your admitted limited knowledge, I think it would be a good idea to get a good, experienced motorhome engineer/fitter to examine the B644 thoroughly and check what extras may have been fitted and whether it has been done appropriately. I would do this before you have anything else (such as solar panels) fitted. Owners (me included) often fit extras and do some additional cabling and unless you are sure it has been done correctly there could be problems ahead. If the van is in 'ex-factory' condition then this advice is not relevant of course. However, your picture of the battery shows a green cable with a Scotchblock connector that I do not recognise as typical of the Hymer installation. If you were prepared to travel, I would suggest going to Telford and visiting Dave Newell who is more than capable of doing the inspection I am suggesting. If your 'local' chap fits the same bill, then of course that would be more convenient. Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services
Another worthwhile move would be to email Udo Lang at Schaudt (he speaks English) and ask him if he can send you an English manual for the Elektroblok (EBL). Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de
Also tell him what control panel you have (above the door?) and ask for the manual for that too. If your not sure what the model number is - send a picture. I would also ask him about fitting a solar panel; whether it is better to connect the regulator to the EBL or direct to the habitation battery. With more recent EBLs there is a definite benefit in connecting the solar panel via a Schaudt regulator to the EBL, rather than direct to the battery. If the EBL route is chosen, the control panel will probably display the charging current from the panel. n.b. Dave Newell knows about this too.

Hope this is helpful rather than confusing. There are several Hymer owners on the forum and between us, we'll try and answer your questions.

OP
OP
L

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Thanks, everybody.
I couldn't see a 50 amp fuse anywhere else - nothing in the battery area. Photos show whats there.
Jeanluc, you are right - this is too technical for us - but the old owner had it for years with the same wet cell battery - it came with it so can we assume it is ok to fit the same again.
Thanks Papajohn - no damage done, mainly thanks to our own nerves!
We also found out its not ok to just take it out because the wires will still be live. Is this because its attached to the starter battery?
Is there anything we could do as a temporary solution to make it safe till our habitation service in 4 weeks does anyone think?

Attachments

• P1080746.JPG
    P1080746.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 35
  • P1080748.JPG
    P1080748.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 31
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon you should leave it well alone, either get the habitation service firm to supply and swap the battery (do get a price first) or get one bought and ask them to swap it. No harm will be done in the meantime if you just leave it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back