Leisure Battery/Vehicle battery winter maintenance (1 Viewer)

Warthog1959

Free Member
Oct 8, 2013
Bicester
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kingham
Exp
Since May 2014
Morning Campers (if you all had a quid)

A couple of questions due to my knowledge level becoming strained. I know that the alternator charges the vehicle and the leisure battery, but what I don't know is....

1. When the 240 socket on the van is plugged into the mains, does this also charge the vehicle battery?

2. I have 2 Solar Panels that I inherited with the van, when these are doing their job, do they also top up the vehicle battery?

3. Is it likely that I can rely on my solar panels over the winter?

4. How likely is it that I can overcharge my batteries. For my motor bike I use a charger that manages and monitors the input charge. Does these 2 systems do the same, i.e. mains and solar panels?

The pic is of my solar panel controller.
IMG_1603.JPG

OP
OP
Warthog1959

Warthog1959

Free Member
Oct 8, 2013
Bicester
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kingham
Exp
Since May 2014
1994 Hymer 694, I think the solar panels and and extra leisure battery are a late addition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A couple of questions due to my knowledge level becoming strained. I know that the alternator charges the vehicle and the leisure battery, but what I don't know is....

1. When the 240 socket on the van is plugged into the mains, does this also charge the vehicle battery?
most vans have an either/or switch, some do both. If it does not there are devices to fit that will charge a second battery once the first has fully charged.

2. I have 2 Solar Panels that I inherited with the van, when these are doing their job, do they also top up the vehicle battery?
Only if above mentioned device is fitted.

3. Is it likely that I can rely on my solar panels over the winter?
I rely on mine and if the van is unused they keep the batteries fully charged, but I am further South I actually use the TV a few hours most days.

4. How likely is it that I can overcharge my batteries. For my motor bike I use a charger that manages and monitors the input charge. Does these 2 systems do the same, i.e. mains and solar panels?
Both solar and the built in charger have regulators as does any 4 stage battery charger and will not overcharge

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back