Leisure battery question (1 Viewer)

Meredith

Free Member
Sep 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
I have a problem question - I own a Burtsner Argos motorhome (2007) & the leisure battery recently stopped ran low, we realised that a cable connecting the solar panel had come off so we thought this was resolved, however, the battery is still running low very quickly.
On the control panel is says 100% charged but has defect underneath it, I have had the batteries checked as they are only a couple of years old, as I have removed the leisure batteries do I need to reset them on the panel,if so how do I do this?
Thanks in advance for your help

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
No just fit them back.
Although I suspect that they or one has suffered permanent damage. Your voltmeter only tells you the voltage at that time. If if they are losing voltage quickly you have a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Meredith

Free Member
Sep 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Thanks for replies, I took the batteries to where they were purchased & they tested them but said they were ok

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for replies, I took the batteries to where they were purchased & they tested them but said they were ok
They will have done a CCA test which is a starter battery test totally meaningless for a leisure battery.
Only way to test a leisure battery is a slow discharge test.
If they are AGM batteries they have done well to last 2 years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Maybe to avoid a warranty claim? Get an independent to test whilst you watch.
They will still do a CCA test which they will pass but will be useless for leisure use.
My last van had crap Banner AGM's 18 months old one would last 10 ah the other one 11 ah but they passed a CCA test at 80% so they wouldn't replace them under warranty.
No one is going to spend a day or two doing a proper slow discharge test.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
First charge the battery fully and leave it to settle for an hour then:-

For example if it's a 100a/h battery load it with a 5 amp load and run for 5 hours, this will represent a 25% discharge. (adjust load/time to suit the size of the battery)
Disconnect the load and leave to stand for at least 30 min then measure the voltage.
Repeat the test and you will have discharged the battery to 50%.
You can repeat again then it will be 75% discharged.

Always best to test each battery individually if in any doubt.

1630313739919.png

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you need to put a known load onto a fully charged battery and check the voltage every few hours to see if they are dropping voltage at the correct rate 100 ah battery with a load of 10 amps should drop to half way in 5 hours there are charts that show the voltage at half way
oops leenie beat me to it

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
They will have done a CCA test which is a starter battery test totally meaningless for a leisure battery.
Only way to test a leisure battery is a slow discharge test.
If they are AGM batteries they have done well to last 2 years.

I know you are not a fan of AGM's but if they are warranted for 5 years (as mine are) it is unlikely they will fail in 2. If they do, great because they can be replaced under warranty every time and I'll never have to buy a new battery againšŸ˜ƒ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I know you are not a fan of AGM's but if they are warranted for 5 years (as mine are) it is unlikely they will fail in 2. If they do, great because they can be replaced under warranty every time and I'll never have to buy a new battery againšŸ˜ƒ
If they fail I doubt if they will honer the warranty they will do a CCA test which they will pass even though they are useless for leisure use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back