Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Hi,
I've got a Chausson Flash 14 which comes with a single Numax 95ah battery. So I though I would pep it up a bit and get another.
Went to my local battery supplier who are a big firm supplying batteries nationally, who told me that the Numax 95ah had changed to 100ah. I said that I needed 95 ah as I had heard that the batteries must be exactly matched or they will not work optimally when wired in parallel. The guy at the shop suggested this wasn't a problem.
I have seen a lucas 95ah battery on ebay (which is a bit cheaper)
So was he right? And which one should I go for? Same make and slightly diff ah or diff make and same ah?
Thanks

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
If you have two different size batteries they will only charge to the lower rated one, I have two odd ones on my 76 and working fine, I did this because I allready had a spare one,If you can get the same that would be better as you will be buying new. pete :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Ah, so the guy in the shop was wrong then!

Looks like I am better going for the 95ah one I've seen on ebay. Shame it isn't the same make but I can't find anywhere that sells a Numax 95ah one as it looks like it is discontinued.

Thanks for replies so far, any other opinions welcomed.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Before I knew better I had a problem on a previous m/h when a dealer added a second leisure battery for me but different to the existing one. After this I could not get a full charge in the batteries. Eventually I chucked both batteries out and replaced with two identical which cured my problem.::bigsmile:

What age is your existing battery?

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
Ah, so the guy in the shop was wrong then!

Looks like I am better going for the 95ah one I've seen on ebay. Shame it isn't the same make but I can't find anywhere that sells a Numax 95ah one as it looks like it is discontinued.

Thanks for replies so far, any other opinions welcomed.

http://www.leisurebatteryshop.co.uk/95Ah-Sealed-Leisure-Battery

This may be of help.....

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Existing battery is 2 years old
Cheers
At that age it's probably at least half way through it's useful life.......I would opt for a pair of new ones for long term efficiency. Otherwise your old battery will drag down the new one fairly quickly.

Go on....you know it makes sense!

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Ok folks, so it looks like my googling skills are pretty lousy!

Now to decide whether to go for one 95ah numax or 2 new ones!

Thanks for comments and links :Smile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Ah, think what I did was search ebay for the numax battery rather than google, mr. dopey! :Eeek:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
it's winter! the frost will kill the old one. Start at the best time with 2 brand spankers :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A short while ago the people in charge of battery standards (cant remember the proper name) moved the goalposts a bit.

they reclassified the true ah rates and you may find a new 100ah battery is exactly the same as the old 95ah.

cant remember the way it worked but it was something along those lines.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Be sure to check whatever you order has suitable dimensions (will fit) :thumb:

I have these babies
Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i got new batteries for mine from my local forklift centre.
this may be of help.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Cheers for the link techno100, they look like what I might be after.

And thanks aba for the idea on forklift batteries. But if I go for those are they the unsealed type meaning that they have to be vented to outside? This could be a problem as my batteries are under a seat inside the van.

Thanks

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They're same as Numax just different badge less profit

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi mine was originally under the seat but now they are in a locker which has vents to the outside.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi,
I've got a Chausson Flash 14 which comes with a single Numax 95ah battery. So I though I would pep it up a bit and get another.
Went to my local battery supplier who are a big firm supplying batteries nationally, who told me that the Numax 95ah had changed to 100ah. I said that I needed 95 ah as I had heard that the batteries must be exactly matched or they will not work optimally when wired in parallel. The guy at the shop suggested this wasn't a problem.
So was he right? And which one should I go for? Same make and slightly diff ah or diff make and same ah?
Thanks

Dealers, in the main know nothing, they are only salesmen, and what they do know is mainly hearsay, do your own research and come to your own conclusion, after all you have to pay so why should you not make the decision?

Doug...

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi,
Thanks

Don't worry too much about amperage a 100 amp and 95amp together will be ok more criticall is the voltage if your new one charges up to 14v and your old one is 12v then you will only charge up to 12v in both . So before you buy a new add on battery check the condition of your old one .This way you might need two new ones:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Two batteries of differing capacities will charge up to the same voltage.
Two batteries of differing capacities will discharge and charge at even voltage.
They have to, they are in parallel!

Current will flow to the lower potential whenever batteries are linked in parallel, until an equilibrium is achieved. You will observe this as both batteries charging and discharging at equal voltage.

The only difference between the two will be that the current flowing through each battery during charge and discharge will vary in proportion to the AH rating of the batteries.
For example, when a 100AH and a 50 AH battery are connected in parallel and are discharged together at 6 Amps. The 100AH will supply 4 of those amps and the 50AH battery will supply 2 Amps. Both batteries will discharge at the same voltage rate!

The above is true for two batteries, in parallel, in the same condition,but not necessarily the same AH rating. However, because the stated AH ratings of 'leisure' batteries are usually total bull, you are on your own! Either way, though, batteries in parallel cannot ever be at different voltages at normal motorhome type current draws!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

As for the issue of never using lead acid batteries inside a vehicle, look under the seat of a Transit the next time you have a chance! The gassing of a relatively small battery in such a large internal space causes few problems normally. So long as the battery isn't totally goosed, you won't smell a thing and you won't blow up!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
More food for though, many thanks for your replies. Gets more interesting by the minute. I never knew there was so much to it! :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Adding the extra battery

Hi
You may be interested in this gadget from Kemo, they are a German electronics company, this little box of tricks allows batteries of differing capacities to be charged from the same source as long as the voltage is in the range 6 to 24 volts. I emailed them to clarify that the 2 batteries need not be the same capacity as this is what I was always led to believe and they replied confirming that the capacities do not have to be the same capacity only that the Voltage of the batteries must be the same.
I bought one, I think about £15 its called 2 Accumulator Charger part No M102N. Their web site is www.kemo-electronic.eu. The unit measures 8x6 cm and is 4cm depth.
Hope this helps.:thumb:.
ATB
Incamania

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back