Free Member
Sep 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Exp
Since 1989
Hi All
I came home from France yesterday and everything had gone great on the holiday until I got home and switched the ignition off on my 2014 Bailey Approach Autograph 750, the control panel above the door was stating that the leisure battery was low showing 11.2v, the fridge was the only thing on, which had been on for a 13hr drive including a 1.5hrs ferry crossing which would have been off at this time!
I recently converted a VW T5 and wired all the electrics myself including a split charge relay system for the leisure battery so class myself OK with the electric side of things. But for the life of me can't find a blade fuse or relay for this system. I have placed a volt meter across the vehicle battery and when ignition off shows 12.1v and when started shows 14.1v so is charging OK. The 2 x leisure batteries show 12.9v with nothing plugged in and nothing switched on, but when the mains hook up is plugged in it charges fine up to approx 13.2v but when the vehicle is running the leisure batteries don't charge they just stay at 12.9v. All day I have checked all the fuses, no terminals have rust, I have traced all wires and have good continuity but still can't find why the batteries don't charge. The only thing I haven't done is opened the mains charger unit.
Has anyone had this problem before? What did you do? Where is the Relay or fuse? Sorry for the long winded post but would appreciate any help or am I missing anything? Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot of mains chargers have the split charge relay inside the unit, also there should be a fuse by the starter battery.
Our Hymer has a 50 amp fuse in the starter battery compartment & the split charge relay is in the Elktroblock.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your splitcharge is triggered by the state of the leisure batteris they are fully charged and higher than the leisure batteries and the split charge will not connect

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I don't know much about electrics but I've seen other threads like this, and apparently not all motorhomes charge their leisure batteries from the engine, are you sure yours is designed to?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Can't help with your specific van but the main relays that link the batteries and switch power to the power supply unit via the control panel switch are behind the drivers seat enclosed in plastic boxes..
Mine is a chausson but I've seen a few other newish coach builds with a similar set up...
The engine run signal that operates those relays is also fused and could cause you the symptoms you describe if it failed as well as the main heavy fuse ..
Andy

philb 1

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Hi have you checked the control panel is set to charge the engine battery as well as the lesure battery's?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back