Leisure battery problem? (2 Viewers)

Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
Hi im new to the site, and have not long bought a hymer b544, which i love, ive done my maiden trip
But on my return saw that the engine is not charging the leisure battery infact the voltage drop when the engine is running,
It charges from mains hook up and get power from my solar panel but with the engine on it appears to drain the battery quite a lot.
Any ideas would be great
Thanks
Mark

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
welcome Hamish. I'm afraid electrickery is not my bag but one of our resident electrical genius's will be along shortly no doubt.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
engine on it appears to drain the battery quite a lot.
Any ideas would be great
Thanks
Mark

Engine on, big drain says Fridge. This should be from the engine battery.

Possibly the engine and leisure battery connected the wrong way round in the electroblock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hamish the highland hymer
Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
It did charge fine when i bought it and havent tinkerd at all and was fine on my maiden weekend away.
However i was in abroad for ten day during the snow and now im back seems have developed this hiccup

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
On our Hymer near the engine main battery is a block of 3 fuses, one is yellow 20 amps and is used to power the fridge while travelling, there is also a 50 amp and a 5 amp . I would check these to see if it one has blown as these may charge the leisure battery

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Stick a meter across your battery with the engine running, sounds like your alternator is knackered.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had this problem some years back where the split charge rekay was operating with the d+ alternator but a fuse had blown between the starter battery and the split charge relay so that on starting the engine the fridge was being powered from the leisure battery

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Aye but on further investigation he isn’t a Weegie, he is a Scouser. :eek::eek::eek:
Was going to help until you said that:winky: Oh Ok then, just this once...
Thanks done that, engine charging ok saying 14 ampstry the fuses then at battery
When you say 14 amps do you mean 14 amps or 14 volts? All due respect but there's quite a few don't know the difference. 14 volts is about the expected charging voltage, and 14 amps is about the expected amps for a fridge on 12 volt power.

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The alternator on my Hymer, supposed to be extra powerful?, shuts down when it feels like it to save fuel, so my leisure batteries are never fully recharged by driving.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Was going to help until you said that:winky: Oh Ok then, just this once...

When you say 14 amps do you mean 14 amps or 14 volts? All due respect but there's quite a few don't know the difference. 14 volts is about the expected charging voltage, and 14 amps is about the expected amps for a fridge on 12 volt power.
Gone .. Ran out of free posts five hours ago.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The alternator on my Hymer, supposed to be extra powerful?, shuts down when it feels like it to save fuel, so my leisure batteries are never fully recharged by driving.
You can fit a battery-to-battery charger between the alternator/starter battery and the leisure batteries. This will load the alternator in a way designed to make it think the starter battery is not adequately charged, so it sends out more power. This power is transformed into a suitably high voltage for charging the leisure batteries until they are full. When full, it drops the voltage so that there is just a trickle of charge going to the leisure batteries.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you have a which I assume is on a B680 on a Merc, Hymer will have fitted a Schaudt unit that overrides the smart featurers of the alternator so your batteries will fully charge.

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
As you have a which I assume is on a B680 on a Merc, Hymer will have fitted a Schaudt unit that overrides the smart featurers of the alternator so your batteries will fully charge.
That is what I understood should happen, but the manual says on EHU full charge to the leisure batteries and a float to the starter (2 amps) .This is reversed when the alternator runs and after the starter battery is fully charged periodically switches off. I have a voltage display plugged into the cigar lighter socket which suggests the alternator does not run for long enough to charge the leisure batteries (3*ldf90's)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
This new member has come on to ask about a problem they have and after they have ran out of free questions disappeared up their do das, personally I’am getting fed up of these type of new members. What does anyone else think ?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This new member has come on to ask about a problem they have and after they have ran out of free questions disappeared up their do das, personally I’am getting fed up of these type of new members. What does anyone else think ?
Unfortunately as long as Jim allows a few freebies it will continue.
Some subscribe at their first post (y), some subscribe after five free (y), some try to cheat and re-register because they didn't get the answer to their problem :mad:......most simply disappear. :moon2:

But, annoying as it is, without a free taste of what the forums like even fewer would subscribe.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What does anyone else think ?

Maybe we need a name for them, errrr, errrr, something in my head keeps saying FLT what can that mean ?

PS.... I didn't type Fork Lift Truck of course and when I add this PS it does not say Fork Lift Truck. I've been Jimmed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don’t think you are far wrong.

Maybe, maybe not, this is the only paid forum I'm on. Others just don't ask. It wasn't always like that, I paid something like £20 a month for a technical forum, for years, and was well pleased with what I got.

I have just vaped my flikr account because they've changed the rules and are demanding $40 a year for what was free. It's not that much but I see no reason to pay it just to show people my photos.

It's a strange old world.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back