Leisure Battery Problem on Hookup (1 Viewer)

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
VW transporter conversion
Exp
4 years
Appologies if I have posted this question in the wrong place, but I am at the end of my tether trying to sort out a problem I am having with my Leisure Battery.

We purchased a CI Carioca 644 (2005) last September from a chap that had not used it for more than a year and we decided to do one overnight stop to get used to our new van, however we lost all 12volts that night despite being on hookup. we assumed that the battery could be old and replaced it a month ago as the Van was put into storage for the winter.

This Easter weekend just gone, we again was on hookup and the battery was showing as 2/3rds full when we arrived on site, after the second day it was only showing 1/3rd full and I borrowed a test meter which was showing the leisure battery at only 11.7 volts. To complete the weekend we did not use the water pump or 12 volt lights. After the drive home, the battery on the control panel was now showing 2/3rds full again.

I am not a technician by any stretch, but logically this was telling me that the leisure battery charged ok, whilst driving, but on hookup was not charging. I cannot find any switch to change to charge whilst on hookup, other than under the sink there is a switch that changes from 110v to 230v.

The control panel has no switches and is a Nordelttronica KIT NE101.

Any help on getting the leisure battery to charge whilst on hookup will be greatly appreciated as we are travelling down France in the July.

I have attached a photo of the control panel

Attachments

• pb090085_398.jpg
    pb090085_398.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 90

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Sealski,

Not being familiar with either the Nordelttronica electrics, or the CI Carrioca, I still reckon that there may be a change over switch somewhere, ie, from cab battery to habitation battery.

Due to the image being out of focus, what are the symbols along the top of the control panel for, (4th & 5th from the left)? They look like they could be something to do with cab and habitation batteries.
I am assuming that there are no manuals for the unit.

If a charging unit doesn't charge both banks of batteries automatically, then there must be a switch to alternate between the two, although I have heard of starter batteries not being connected to inboard mains chargers.

Good luck with it, and hopefully someone with the same or similar system will be along to advise.

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi mate if its been inactive for a couple of years

you really ought to have a habitation service get everything given a good check over

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Not being familiar with van or panel I wonder if the charger is working. It sounds as if when travelling the habitation battery is being charged, but not when on EHU. Are the 240v mains plugs working are you in fact getting 240v through the hook up into the van.
Sorry can't help more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Hi Jock,

Thanks for the reply, I believe they are for indicating Water tank levels, but I could be wrong.

Regards
Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have said that all 240v sockets are working fine on hookup and when feeling the charging unit (under the drivers seat) it felt fairly warm.

Regards
Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Hi Thefman,

Thanks for reply. I have had a full habitation check in last month and the engineer assured me that the charging unit was working.

Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Check the charger fuse (jp11: fuse number 3)

http://www.giordanobenicchi.it/camper/manuali vari/NE100_2.pdf

Here is the manual. It appears that the charge is automatic. It may be that the charger is faulty or a fuse has blown, meaning you are only charging from the alternator when the engine is running, rather than being able to top up whilst on hook up.
That sounds like a good possibility. :thumb:

Jock.

Upvote 0

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Jock,

Have you disconnected the battery and put the test meter across the leads to check if there is a charge voltage from the charger whilst on EHU ? Just because the charger is getting warm doesn't neccisarily mean the charge getting to the battery !

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi Thefman,

Thanks for reply. I have had a full habitation check in last month and the engineer ensured me that the charging unit was working.

Regards
Steve

In that case, hook it up at home (put a plug on the end of your lead, or make one from an old extension lead) and put a meter across the leisure battery. Should read 14.5v or thereabouts if charging, and drop when you turn the power off.

If it doesn't change, then no power is getting through - clean the battery terminals and try again. If still no joy, trace the cable back to the charger and meter that end to see if power is coming out. If so you coould have a break between that charger and the battery - if not, then the charger isn't giving output. In this case, go further back the the power feed to the charger and meter that.

It does sound as if you are only getting charge when driving!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Hi Rainbow chasers,

Thanks for the pdf. That is useful in itself

Do you know whether the fuse is behind the control panel or hidden under the other habitation fuses?

Regards
Steve

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You should have a fuse box on the back of the control panel or nearby. There will also be a fuse near the leisure battery, but outside of the battery box (under the seating area) which will be the main hab batt fuse - check that first.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yeah, it sounds that your charger is not working when on hook up. When you are driving it will charge from the engine alternator.
As said before put a meter on your battery when hooked up. You should have up to 14.5v. Check also without hook up, and run your engine. It sounded that this was charging ok so you should get a good reading on the multimeter.

If so seems your problem lies with your hab charger. Check fuses, wiring etc. I had a similar fault, hab battery charging from alternator but not charging on ehu but all 240 v were ok. Turned out the hab charger had died. There was a fault on the pcb. Replaced that and bingo, all tickeddy boo, no probs since, touch wood. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant be bothered reading all the replies but either your battery charger is turned off, a fuse to the charger has blown or the charger is kneckered.

engine is charging the leisure battery when driving.

Upvote 0

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
HI I have a Carioca 15p with the same panel , when it is on hook up , like your pic is showing.
If you press the test button once , then you should have rising green lights on the 4th pic (leisure battery) along top of panel. Press twice and it shows van battery (fifth pic) If you have no rising green lights then it is not charging

The van battery does not get charged on hook up as far as I know. The sixth pic is water, press test once for how much you have and again how much waste water you have.

Gary

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
HI I have a Carioca 15p with the same panel , when it is on hook up , like your pic is showing.
If you press the test button once , then you should have rising green lights on the 4th pic (leisure battery) along top of panel. Press twice and it shows van battery (fifth pic) If you have no rising green lights then it is not charging
The van battery does not get charged on hook up as far as I know.
I wasn't far out with my identity of the symbols in the blurred image then, nor with the suggestion that the cab battery often isn't connected to the inboard charger.......which to be honest with you, is very much "penny pinching" on the part of the converters, IMHO. :Angry:

Hope you can get it sorted Sealski. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Dear All

Thank you for all your ideas.

I will not get a chance to try out your suggestions until the weekend. If I do find the solution, I will post it, so hopefully it will help somebody else out in the future.

If anyone is touring this next long weekend, have a great time, I am booked into the Littlehampton Caravan Club Site.

Regards
Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Dear All,

To keep you all updated. I did all the tests that was suggested and it looked like a faulty charger (TE43). I contacted a company in Edenbridge Kent called Caravan Technology (http://www.caravantechnology.com) and they sold me a NE186 charger as Nordelettronica have discontinued the TE43. They also supplied the convertible cables.

This I connected up and it appears the battery is still not charging on EHU.

I now have a auto electrician coming round next week to look and I will post again as I have noticed Muffin had the same problem back in 2008 but no resolution was posted.

Sealski

Upvote 0

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
I had the same problem with my 2006 FIAT based Dethleffs Eurostyle and got limited assistance from the dealer! and ended up with a very expensive quote to replace the zig unit.
I have sent you a pm on the topic .... speak soon?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just had a rethink on reading this thread again.

your charger should be powered from the 230v mains fuse box via an MCB.
just because the MCB is turned on doesnt mean it's actually working.

IF you have any electrical experience, its an easy job to disconnect the charger wire and connect it to another MCB, of the same rating, in the fuse box on a temporary basis to check if it then works.
dont forget to remove the hookup cable first.

if you're not sure of what you're doing, then get a sparky to try it....but then, he can test the MCB anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Hi pappajohn,

Unfortunately I do not have any electrical experience. In fact I am embarrassed to say I do not know what an MCB is.

I have a electrician coming round next week. He is a good friend, so hopefully he will not charge me more than a couple of beers.

Thanks for the extra information

Upvote 0

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
I wasn't far out with my identity of the symbols in the blurred image then, nor with the suggestion that the cab battery often isn't connected to the inboard charger.......which to be honest with you, is very much "penny pinching" on the part of the converters, IMHO. :Angry:

Hi Jock, I've always thought that the van battery wasn't connected to the on-board charger to prevent damage to the alternator diodes which are in the same circuit. :Eeek:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock, I've always thought that the van battery wasn't connected to the on-board charger to prevent damage to the alternator diodes which are in the same circuit. :Eeek:
Hi Bill,

That doesn't appear to be the case with the German built MHs, using the Schaudt Elektrobloc onboard charger.

Regards,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
4 years
Hi Joyce & Brian,

Thanks for the post. I do not beleive there is an on/off switch on the charger, however, I believe this could be controlled via a relay, which is what I am starting to suspect is the problem

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back