ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Hello, can anyone tell me if there is a maximum distance a leisure battery can be away from the van battery? I want to relocate my leisure battery from the front cab to the 'garage' or rear of the van?

A speedy reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Steve

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think its more about the cabel you use.

My motorhome is built with the battery in the garage.

Bu i am sure someone will give you the answer you need witin an hour or two..

Mel

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hello, can anyone tell me if there is a maximum distance a leisure battery can be away from the van battery? I want to relocate my leisure battery from the front cab to the 'garage' or rear of the van?

A speedy reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Steve

theres no limit to how far but its the cable size thats important youll loose voltage due to the resistance in the wire search the web for cable sizing calculators front to back of a van is going to need thick cable like battery leads
you only need to take the positive wire to the new position and form a new earth point to the chassis /bodywork close to the new battery position again with suitable sized cable
a fully dischared leisure battery can pull a lot of amps initially so cable must be capable of carrying the full alternator outpu tas a minimum
i would also fuse the run at both ends with maxi fuses
heavy cables need heavy duty crimping to fix terminals or solder them on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
theres no limit to how far but its the cable size thats important youll loose voltage due to the resistance in the wire search the web for cable sizing calculators front to back of a van is going to need thick cable like battery leads
you only need to take the positive wire to the new position and form a new earth point to the chassis /bodywork close to the new battery position again with suitable sized cable
a fully dischared leisure battery can pull a lot of amps initially so cable must be capable of carrying the full alternator outpu tas a minimum
i would also fuse the run at both ends with maxi fuses
heavy cables need heavy duty crimping to fix terminals or solder them on

Good advise!

Its a shame the majority of manufacturers ignore basic electrical principles! I wired a Sterling charger to a friends van recently. The leisure battery was in the garage of a 7.5 m van. The standard cable was just 2.5mm!!!!! The voltage drop was horrendous! Poor battery! It never stood a chance of getting recharged!:Angry:

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for all the replies everyone. The battery is now relocated in the rear of the van, investor in tow!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back