Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
My hymer B564 has its leisure battery sited (unsecured ) in a battery box behind the passenger seat and back of dinette seat in a plastic battery box. I thought they were supposed to be under the seat, if this is correct , how are the fitted under the seat ?. Does the seat have to be removed to fit it there?

Shirl

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to fit a battery under the passenger seat, you need to unbolt the seat first and when you need to access it again for servicing. In many ways you are better off with it in a plastic box under the dinette seat. To secure it, you can buy catches that screw to the floor to hold a strap, which would go over the top of the battery box

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
It's not under the dinette seat, its sitting between the back of the dinette and back of passenger seat (space is about 18'') I really didn't want to put holes in the floor.
Thanks for your advice.

Shirl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its just sat loose behind the seat, I would use a bungee cord or similar to hold it to the back of the seat

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Probably moved to present location to allow for larger amp hour battery and easier access
for maintenance. Possibly you could drill plastic box and rear of seat base and bolt together
to secure.

regards
Steve:thumb:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Unusual place for battery - are you sure it is THE leisure battery or has a previous owner added it. A class Hymers usually have the leisure battery under a loose section of floor between the driver's door and driver's seat. In its current position it cannot move far but I would be worried about the gas given off when charging as it should be bottom vented.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
The battery is a liesure one. I cant find any other place it would be sited. My hymer is a 2000 model. My sis has just got a 2002 model and her batteries are sited under both front seats
Here are the pics

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't see any problem with where it is located, it is in a 'proper' battery box after all, I would just ensure that the box itself is secured in some way to stop it moving around. We have the 'original' leisure battery unde our passenger seat and it's a pain in the bum (not literally!:Doh:). When it needs the levels checking we have to move the seat to do so as the swivel mechanism prevents it being seen otherwise. Our second leisure battery, which we had put in, is under our side facing seat in a battery box and is much more accessible, but it does mean that we have lost the storage under there. If we didn't swivel our passenger seat to ake up the dinette, I think I'd have both our batteries moved to the location of yours! :Smile:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I don't see any problem with where it is located, it is in a 'proper' battery box after all, I would just ensure that the box itself is secured in some way to stop it moving around. We have the 'original' leisure battery unde our passenger seat and it's a pain in the bum (not literally!:Doh:). When it needs the levels checking we have to move the seat to do so as the swivel mechanism prevents it being seen otherwise. Our second leisure battery, which we had put in, is under our side facing seat in a battery box and is much more accessible, but it does mean that we have lost the storage under there. If we didn't swivel our passenger seat to ake up the dinette, I think I'd have both our batteries moved to the location of yours! :Smile:

I did think it would be a pain in the preverbial to have it under the seat. I have just purchased a larger battery ( 125ah) as I am getting solars panels fitted soon. The space seems ideal as it is not usable for anything else.

Thanks for all the input

Shirl

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Shirl,

Another point, is the battery vented to the outside? If not it should be as Lead-acid batteries produce hydrogen and oxygen gases when they are charging and discharging. Hydrogen mixed with oxygen is very explosive and can be ignited by a spark or a flame. This may explode the battery case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back