Leisure Battery Leakage (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Is it usual / unusual for the leisure batteries to expel acid? Ours have been dripping a bit in the last couple of days. :cry: Batteries are charging up OK via the solar panel. :thumb: Could it be too much liquid in the cells? Any advice welcomed.

Bill

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
By all means, check the level in the cells. I should imagine that is is breathing from being charged. Is it permanently on charge? It is possible it is over charging - a certain amount of venting is fairly normal, but if it is noticable fluid, then it may suggest a problem.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
By all means, check the level in the cells. I should imagine that is is breathing from being charged. Is it permanently on charge? It is possible it is over charging - a certain amount of venting is fairly normal, but if it is noticable fluid, then it may suggest a problem.

Must say I tend to agree with the above, can't say that I notice that amount of liquid around mine.

Dave :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a battery needs to gas slightly to accept a charge.

excessive gassing is a result of overcharging.

as far as i know acid will not 'evaporate' as water does which is the reason for topping up with distilled/de-ionised WATER only.
you never need to top up with acid
pouring acid on water is extremely dangerous and should never be done under any circumstances.

the 'pools' you have around your battery should be nothing more that water.

the level should be just above the plates and no more.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
battery

You should soon be able to tell if it if acid, nasty stuff, if it is overcharging I would think you would be able to detect an aroma as the battery vents.
Effectively your are boiling your battery dry, not good.

OP
OP
billkce
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Thanks for replies. Useful

To confirm, definitely acid venting thru drip hole on base of battery compartment. :cry:Has now stopped. :roflmto:Can detect no aroma. Also, have topped up with ionised water about 2 weeks ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back