Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Hi, some of you may recall a similar post I made about being ‘brain dead’. That was where I found a switch had tripped in the MCB box, the leisure battery was dead and no lights etc working. I asked if anyone had a circuit diagram. Unfortunately know one did, but I did have useful comments.

Now an update. I have a full 240V in all sockets (good), but I needed to check out the 12V side. With an old car battery connected up, I checked out the 12V side to be working fine. So my way of thinking then was the leisure battery charger may well be down. This had happened to me when the van was new, and the charger unit had to be replaced. The charger unit model number is PS276-1-BCSM.

In order to confirm in my own mind this had failed, with my trusty car battery at 12.6v in place, 240v power on, MCB switch on, I checked the leads to the battery. Same voltage 12.6v, now to me this suggests this charger unit has failed.

I have read online that this particular model of charger is known to be unreliable, is this true?

I have looked on the internet and come across ‘Apuljack Engineering Ltd’. Are these a reliable company?

Your help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Flook

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought one of Apuljack Engineering's versions of the PS276-1-BCSM when it looked like our EHU charger had failed.
Very good company and a very good product, but over £200 when you add on delivery.

When I went over to lithium I had to change the EHU charger and I bought a 20A Victron Blue Smart IP22 charger which come in at about £170 and it fits
nicely into the space that the PS276-1-BCSM previously occupied. The IP22 is a 4 stage charger and is suitable for all battery types and you can configure your
own battery perimeters via the bluetooth app.

By the way I have a circuit diagram for the BCA power distribution unit.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
If you need a replacement charger there are various types listed in the classifieds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Paul, I have had a quick look at the one you suggested, it is an option thanks.

Roger, I will look in classified, thanks.

Geoff, I confess I am inclined to go with Apuljak, cost is off putting though.

Thanks guy's

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Just checked out classifieds, nothing there. Worth a visit though.

I have been checking out the Victron blue smart as suggested. It needs a 13a socket, could be difficult to find a socket unless I sort something out with some re-wiring under the seating. I see they have three live sections and one neutral. Seems I would have to cut off the plug with the red and black wires fit, strip these and fit the bare ends into the relevant sections. Mmmm I will have to give that one some thought, as I do not fancy playing about with any wiring at present, though some advice would be welcome.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Thanks G. I have been reading about these chargers (the one in the van that has failed), it seems this is an issue with this particular model. It has struck me a decent car charger might do the trick possibly short term.

Since posting I have been trying to do some research, so all options are open including an extended mains voltage on/off switch unit with power lead to charger, or a car charger style, or an expensive way of the Apuljack, but being outside of the unit somewhere.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Dont forget that I think the unit is also a transformer to run the 12 volt system of the habitation side of things when on EHU, not just a battery charger. Have you tried speaking to Apuljack to see if they have a cheaper alternative option.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Dont forget that I think the unit is also a transformer to run the 12 volt system of the habitation side of things when on EHU, not just a battery charger. Have you tried speaking to Apuljack to see if they have a cheaper alternative option.
The PS276 is purely a battery charge to charge the hab battery that runs the 12 volt circuits on the BCA power distribution unit.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The PS276 is purely a battery charge to charge the hab battery that runs the 12 volt circuits on the BCA power distribution unit.
,Thanks, I did not know this, I thought it was not very expensive if it was a transformer/charger.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Unfortunately the one from Apuljak including delivery about £210. So I have to give that some thought as the hab battery is about £100/110. So expense time ugh...

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
I bought one of Apuljack Engineering's versions of the PS276-1-BCSM when it looked like our EHU charger had failed.
Very good company and a very good product, but over £200 when you add on delivery.

When I went over to lithium I had to change the EHU charger and I bought a 20A Victron Blue Smart IP22 charger which come in at about £170 and it fits
nicely into the space that the PS276-1-BCSM previously occupied. The IP22 is a 4 stage charger and is suitable for all battery types and you can configure your
own battery perimeters via the bluetooth app.

By the way I have a circuit diagram for the BCA power distribution unit.

Hi, having re-read this has got me to thinking. Do you still have the Apuljack version around? If so, how much would you want? If not, the 20A Victron you have, did you take the mains voltage from the ‘kettle style lead’, or install a socket to plug the Victron into. Also, did you remove the existing battery leads and use the Victron ones as a replacement.

The Victron one looks good, plus it can be seen working on the phone app. This has made me think it may well be the way for me to go.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, having re-read this has got me to thinking. Do you still have the Apuljack version around? If so, how much would you want? If not, the 20A Victron you have, did you take the mains voltage from the ‘kettle style lead’, or install a socket to plug the Victron into. Also, did you remove the existing battery leads and use the Victron ones as a replacement.

The Victron one looks good, plus it can be seen working on the phone app. This has made me think it may well be the way for me to go.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Unfortunately for you, I sold the Apuljack charge to a neighbour who's caravan had the same PS276 charge that had shagged his leisure battery.

With the Victron charger, I cut off the mains plug and fitted a kettle type socket to the leads so I can disconnect it if needed.
The 12v out side of the Victron charger I wired straight to the leisure battery via an inline fuse.

1615297058842.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Thank’s for that information, the photo helps as well and gives me ideas. Having an in-line fuse I did not think of, so again thanks for that. What size fuse did you use?

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Thanks once again.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The PS276-1-BCSM appears to be a power supply with a fixed output voltage of 13.8V. If so it is never going to charge a battery properly, I think you would be better off with a proper battery charger if you want to get more life out of your leisure battery.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
The Victron charger looks the way to go. If it is good enough for Two on Tour that says it all to me.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
I have been checking out the Victron charger. I am concerned it does not come with battery cables. How easy is it to fit the existing cables to this unit.

I have also looked at cables for the unit (on eBay) these appear to be open ended at one end and fit into the Victron, and the other have mate eyelet connections that I assume are fitted to the battery via either screws or bolts similar to my motorcycle battery.

I cannot find anything related to flavor in the Victron range was it a special!

Advice on my best approach about this would be appreciated.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The Victron charger can be used in any number of different applications but with any number of cable lengths and terminations possible it is left to the yourself to fit the cable lengths and terminations to suit the particular setup you require.

It's a simple connection on the Victron charger and I used 6mm2 cable which is rated to handle 50 amps to my battery.
You could cut the 12 volt wires from your duff charger and connect them to the Victron charger if you want to go that route.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Thanks for your swift reply Paul.

I think going with what you have said, I may go the route of using my existing battery cables, once I have received the unit I would be able to see the places where the battery cables go and see if cutting the existing cables would fit accordingly. If I am also able to fit an inline fuse, then I have a relevant fuse holder and fuses to fit.

However, armed with the knowledge you have given me, I feel I should be able to sort it out. However if I should think of anything else, I will of course let you know.

You have been most helpful Paul, thank you again.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Paul, just looked at some video's online, it looks easy enough, the battery leads cut, stripped, and fitted into the base connections of the Vitron and clamped. As you say, cut the mains plug off, strip as appropriate and fit into kettle socket. 1st part done, then fit leads to battery, and connect to the main feed coming off of the unit where the old charger was and that should be that.

I hope:cool:, so what could go wrong!!!

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
I have been looking at the 30A charger, I was thinking of using this to charge the main battery as well.

Any thoughts

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Just ordered up from Amazon the 20A 3 lead version about £172 inc delivery. Expected tomorrow, also from Amazon the socket as well. That will give me something to do.

I was thinking of trying it out on the old leisure battery first, just to see if I can restore it. I dont give much hope on that, but it is worth a try.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back