Leisure Battery help sought (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Swift 685
Exp
I’m a newbie
Had an alert that my motorhome battery was low a few weeks ago but due to covid unable to go to the motorhome (in storage 10 mikes away) until yesterday and As expected battery dead as a dodo, £160 later ? I have a new battery fitted. My leisure battery is flat ? will the leisure battery recharge if I go on a long drive or will it too need replacing - the van is less than 12 months old)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Might be worth taking the leisure battery off and seeing if it will charge up on a standalone charger if you have one at home as I don't think you will get it back by driving.

Might be worth investing in some solar though.

Martin

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I’d take the leisure battery home and use a better conditioner such a c-tek

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fatboy1960
Jan 9, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Swift 685
Exp
I’m a newbie
Wow -Thanks for the super fast response - Sorry not sure what a ‘conditioner such as c-tsk means‘

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the battery has been left flat for any length of time it will had it, if it does come back to life the capacity will be greatly reduced.
To fully charge a leisure battery by driving you will need to do at least 300 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I did exactly the same as you. I tried to charge it with a standard battery charger it blew the fuse in the charger. Looked At YouTube and a guy recommended that I put a charge from a donor battery first then I used a smart charger. All good now and I leave the van on hup all batteries now at peak voltage. Absaar?Smart charger was about £25 from Europarts

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got ! In other words, it's all going to happen again unless you make some changes. Trying to keep this as simple as possible for you as every man and his dog will be advising you how to move forward, leaving you totally confused with the different recommendations. So, here it is.
1. Understand the basics of how leisure batteries work and are maintained.
2. Make sure your battery bank is suitable for your needs, including future use.
3. Fit solar panels and the right kind of solar regulator for your battery bank, size and type.
4. Do it once and do it right ! Fit shed loads of solar panels.
Safe Travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back