Leisure battery expectancy?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
This may sound like a naive question to some more experienced MH's but what are the signs of leisure batteries running flat?? Is it like a torch whose light gradually dims before going out or does, say, the TV (when running on 12v) switch itself off. I think that the sensible thing is probably to use being at home as a controlled environment and let the lights etc run the battery down but is there a logical sequence of things stopping working?
Our MH has two 100 amp batteries and two large solar panels! but I start to fret a little when we are not on MHU and have watched , say, a two hour DVD on a 19" screen TV. Am I paranoid??

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When it goes..............................Dark, Its Flat!!!! From memory (old, very) you should never let a battery get below 12v (no Load). Modern batteries are more tolerant of deep cycling, however it should not be forgotten that modern equipment often has residual drains (CMOS etc;).

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've run my pair fully flat many times in last few years and still going strong.

Lucas do make good batteries :)

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just took a 5 year old Exide Gel out of mine and it seems fine, only took it out because I was fitting a pair.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've run my pair fully flat many times in last few years and still going strong.

Lucas do make good batteries :)
Not too bad if you get them on charge ASAP.
Mine were off charge for anything up to 4 months over winter (my fault, turned isolator off) and showed a tad over 5 volts.
30 plus amps going in....plenty gas coming out.
Check after an hour and 8 volts.

Dead, knackered, caput, no good

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not too bad if you get them on charge ASAP.
Mine were off charge for anything up to 4 months over winter (my fault, turned isolator off) and showed a tad over 5 volts.
30 plus amps going in....plenty gas coming out.
Check after an hour and 8 volts.

Dead, knackered, caput, no good
Yup. Got solar panels to put charge straight back in :)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Multiple batteries, whilst giving more power when new, also can confuse when the eventual failure comes along

When I bought our Hymer it was fitted with 2 x gel batteries, both appeared to be completely shot, absolutely no power from anything unless on hook up or engine running

So bought 2 new batteries at £200 each, changed them then happened to check the state of the ones I had taken out, 1 @ 2V (ish) 1 @ 12.8V, absolutely perfect, the failed one had dragged the good one down to a useless total load despite being in good nick, presumably the same could still happen even with 4 batteries, if one is totally done in

In reality both pf mine were 4 years old and changing both together probably made good sense, I did a good job of convincing myself of that anyway

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Agreed, but I checked each one individually. and as a whole....all around the 5 volt mark.

I wasn't suggesting you got it wrong, just pointing my mistake to others

Although I think changing all together makes sense if old already anyway

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back