Leisure battery earth (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I finished my conversion I had the electrical side inspected and signed off by a local electrician. One of the things he asked me to do before he would give me a certificate was to remove the earth cable which I had installed from the leisure battery to the chassis.
I am now wondering if he was right as I am having to renew the battery and it is less than two years old.
Any experts out there.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
really cant see that affecting your battery life.

Does seem odd to insist on removal though, as some things may be chassis earthed rather than hardwired back to the battery....but you did the conversion so only you know if thats the case.

Last edited:

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
I for one would love to hear the electrician's reason for omitting the earth strap from the leisure battery to chassis, can you ask him.?
The only reason I could come up with is, that the engine battery could have a positive earth and the leisure battery having a negative earth, but that's highly unlikely as you have done the conversion?
Certainly on marine wiring dual and triple battery wiring always have common negative earth these days.
As for the battery needing to be renewed---- it can happen in less that two years, especially if they are left in really cold condition, with less than full charge, there again batteries can be really abused and last for a lot longer. Guess it's the luck of the draw, but do make sure that you are not drawing current with everything turned off. Easy enough to do with an ammeter in series with the power side of the battery.
Hope this helps and you get it sorted :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the replies.
I've ordered two 125A batteries which should be here tomorrow and also a MPPT solar panel controller to replace the basic Steca one that came with the solar panel a few years ago.
I am going to earth the batteries this time as reading various postings on this and other forums it seems that this is the correct thing to do

Mike

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the replies.
I've ordered two 125A batteries which should be here tomorrow and also a MPPT solar panel controller to replace the basic Steca one that came with the solar panel a few years ago.
I am going to earth the batteries this time as reading various postings on this and other forums it seems that this is the correct thing to do

Mike

It makes no difference one way or the other: the starter battery is earthed to the chassis; the leisure battery is being charged when you run the engine. That means that the leisure & starter batteries are effectively in parallel whilst the engine is running and that means that the negatives of each battery (as well as the positives via a relay) are connected together. So the leisure battery is already connected to the chassis.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you should find another electrician.. one who is conversant with 230v caravan installation regulations, they make no mention of battery earthing.. he is not certifying or signing off the 12v system.

If you want the 12v system inspecting, speak to an auto or motorhome electrician. or a spark who is qualified with both systems..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back