James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Hi all.

We currently have one of these in our van. Not sure if I should buy a straight swap replacement or do you folks recommend something else.

concerns with different battery would be any changes to panel/solar set up. Not sure if it would make difference if I upped the size to 120ah battery? Looking for a battery the same dimensions so it fits the same locker. It’s under the seat inside hab area.

We mainly only do a weekend of grid. and have a 100w solar
Thanks for help in advance
6320AE8D-80B0-4D1E-9B8C-B0A316414F2C.png

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you click on a battery supplier they usually have the dimensions so you would see if you can get a slightly bigger battery in. Battery mega store etc .

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
If you click on a battery supplier they usually have the dimensions so you would see if you can get a slightly bigger battery in. Battery mega store etc .
Do you see any issues getting a bigger ah battery and just plugging it in? Really not sure on batteries tbh. Just want to get one that’s good, happily power lights and a bit of tv.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Going from 100Ah to 120Ah should not affect the chargers or the solar controller. You'll get a 20% increase in capacity, but also probably a 20% increase in weight. So you'll need to eat 20% more spinach if you are installing it yourself.

It will take 20% longer to full charge , but you probably won't notice that.

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
As long as it fits in the space buy one with the highest aH.
The one I currently have looks like a wet type. I notice Agm are more expensive. Could I swap out to one of them with just swapping over? Have no idea at all what is best the solar is just connected into the auto trail mains power thing I believe

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
If you have a 3 way fridge and don't hammer the TV etc then 100ah battery and your solar will be fine for a few days. Don't get too hung up on having huge batteries and huge panels if your electric usage is minimal.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The one I currently have looks like a wet type. I notice Agm are more expensive. Could I swap out to one of them with just swapping over? Have no idea at all what is best the solar is just connected into the auto trail mains power thing I believe
AGM is better than a lead acid and should last longer. If you swap to a different battery type than you currently have you may need to alter your controller to suit the battery type so it charges correctly.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you go to an AGM battery you would need to change the settings on your solar controller and mains charger, if they are able to be changed, or replace them if they are not configurable.

Edit: Jimbohorlicks beat me too it. :giggle:

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Cheers. Not sure what the set up is. I can’t see any thing other than cable off the battery terminals. No idea how it’s set up currently. Just a standard auto trail Sargent control panel.

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Have you run our of power ever? If not then save your money.
Not yet but over the weekend the battery was showing below 12v without watching any tv. Not sure how old the one we have is. Thinking of a like for like swap. The NCC rating is a C on the one we currently have.

Category C is for users that require a lower capacity battery to cover basic operation of their habitation equipment for short periods away from a hook-up)

would like one with a A rating
  • Category A is for higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their caravans or motorhomes away from electrical hook-ups

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The more battery power you have ,the better At least you can watch your TV without worrying about losing power and damaging the battery.

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
The more battery power you have ,the better At least you can watch your TV without worrying about losing power and damaging the battery.
Would be nice to have had the tv on over the weekend. Some people had tv on after a day of no solar generated yesterday. We turnt are one on and it went to poor battery state on panel. Think battery is knackered. Would like to spend a bit more and get extra but my knowledge of electrics is so basic I don’t want to go messing around.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Have you got a gas fridge? If not then get as big an AH a battery as you can with the same dimensions. 12v compressor fridges are hungry.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Would be nice to have had the tv on over the weekend. Some people had tv on after a day of no solar generated yesterday. We turnt are one on and it went to poor battery state on panel. Think battery is knackered. Would like to spend a bit more and get extra but my knowledge of electrics is so basic I don’t want to go messing around.
Don’t worry you’re not the only one, we have to get people to sort stuff like that for us

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Have you got a gas fridge? If not then get as big an AH a battery as you can with the same dimensions. 12v compressor fridges are hungry.
Yeah we’re on gas for fridge. So not really any drain other than the lights and minimal water pump use.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
What size solar panel do you have, example- 60w, 100w, 150w, smaller larger? Than these, if smaller it is very possible not enough trickle charge for you leasure batt. Larger is better, 150w or more I would suggest. Yes, battery replacement would be required as well, I have a 110a, plenty for my needs.

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
What size solar panel do you have, example- 60w, 100w, 150w, smaller larger? Than these, if smaller it is very possible not enough trickle charge for you leasure batt. Larger is better, 150w or more I would suggest. Yes, battery replacement would be required as well, I have a 110a, plenty for my needs.
We have a 100w roof mounted one. Think I’m just going to get the same battery as replacement. See how that goes

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I would have thought that a bit small, at least a 120w, 150w better. Still see how you go with a replacement battery, I hope it lasts for you.

All the best James.

OP
OP
James-Alex

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Cheers for all advise folks! I’ve got an exact match battery arriving tomorrow.

reference connection to of new one, would I just switch of the main control panel in cupboard to swap over? Don’t want anything to go off bang

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Cheers for all advise folks! I’ve got an exact match battery arriving tomorrow.

reference connection to of new one, would I just switch of the main control panel in cupboard to swap over? Don’t want anything to go off bang
Have you got a solar panel connected ? If so put a thick towel over it to block out light and charging while you’re disconnected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back