Leisure batteries not charging? (1 Viewer)

billyr

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Monchengladbach, Germany
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New - but camped forever
Hi

I have an Autotrail Miami. My alternator has stopped charging my leisure batteries? The vehicle battery is OK. Not only has it stopped charging but something is draining the batteries. I suspect it might be the relay fuse but can't find it? Just don't know....?

Billy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What chassis ?

First place to look is next to the starter battery, spot thick wires running to the habitation area.

I seem to recall one relay in the glove box of a Ford.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It sounds like you have two problems.
although it is vaguely possible that mice have chewed the electrics causing a short and interrupting the charge from the split charge relay. the fuse or relay is probably shot.
There are a number of standing "drains on the leisure batteries, internal resistance, radio backup, alarm etc, 12V supply to fridge may be live if the relay has a short. Any number of things can cause the drain.
1st determine the amount of current drain using your multimeter.
2nd check all wires coming from your engine battery to the charge relays (usually 2, 1 for fridge and one for split charging). If any of this does not make sense to you then you need a mobile motorhome mechanic, I am not sure who is in your area (Nottingham) maybe someone else can advise. lots are members here.

OP
OP
B

billyr

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Monchengladbach, Germany
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New - but camped forever
I only had it serviced 2 weeks ago and had no problems before. Only since. Spent 3 hrs yesterday back at the service dealer and they couldn't find it. Have to take it back next week - but I did think that one someone might have had the same experience?

Billy

the wanderer

Free Member
Oct 6, 2011
lanark
Funster No
MH
geist 662
Exp
onof 15yrs
leisure bat not charging

hi i had same prob with fiat ducato was a breake in wire loom under bonnet at the bulkhead its a thin green wire rejoined wire prob sorted hope that helps u::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had a problem like the one you describe, in a Fiat Ducato, and the fridge wasn't working on 12v either - have you checked that? What is your control panel telling you about your engine battery voltage?

In my case a faulty Earth connection on the engine battery was causing the fuse board (and control panel) to register a lower voltage than it should have done. Consequently it was blocking 12v current to the fridge and leisure battery because it was trying to preserve the maximum possible voltage for the engine battery. The problem was to some extent offset by our having a solar panel, but we still needed 12v on the fridge when travelling.

I was told that the fuse board had been damaged by this fault and I had to pay £200 for a replacement, plus labour. I'm planning to have the board diagnostically checked by its maker to see if it was actually faulty or not.

Another possibility is that a fuse may have blown somewhere in your leisure battery charging circuit. Again, this happened to me. It was a heavy duty in-line blade fuse under the driver's seat but what exactly it was connected to I don't know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

billyr

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Monchengladbach, Germany
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New - but camped forever
I have just been up to the campervan storage and checked all the fuses nearest to the battery - under the seat behind the passenger. Bingo - 20v fuse blown. Replaced - started the engine and all good. Brilliant. Thank you all for the help, better than the dealer who couldn't find.........

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Great story, perfect example of how we can help each other, well done all.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back