Leisure batteries 2 small or 1 large? (1 Viewer)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Thread Hijack.

Going to put one in my mini camper build

Broken Link Removed

Its a slow work in progress as long as its ready for September i am happy. I want a pleasure battery and just using a manual switch but as i only want it for the odd lights at night and a car stereo in the rear would a small car battery be OK? Something around 75amps. I was thinking a Motobatt motorbike battery but not sure if van alternator would kill it.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Thread Hijack.

Going to put one in my mini camper build

Broken Link Removed

Its a slow work in progress as long as its ready for September i am happy. I want a pleasure battery and just using a manual switch but as i only want it for the odd lights at night and a car stereo in the rear would a small car battery be OK? Something around 75amps. I was thinking a Motobatt motorbike battery but not sure if van alternator would kill it.

Couple of points first your battery can in reality only give you half the rated capacity, regularly pulling it below 50% will dramatically shorten it's life. Also starter batteries are optimised for high currents for short periods so will not give off their best used as a house battery. Leisure batteries are an economical solution though if you need less then than 80AH deep discharge golf cart or disabled buggy batteries may be your best bet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks for all the info, ordered 2 x 125hr,

Karl
(y)
CA_11081517514407-X2.jpg

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Techno what size are the connecting cables you are using?

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I use 35mm2 welding cable cheap as chips ebay

Broken Link Removed

Thats really cheap, i have just paid £20.00 for 2 x 24" lengths of 35mm, only thing is with the one you list
is it has no crimp connecters fitted, & i have have no way to add them:(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's only worth it if you'll use it a few times.
I got my crimper because another member wanted to install his own B2B so I told him where to buy a crimper at the time £35 and I'd buy it off him for £25 when he'd finished. That was years ago and I'm still using it :LOL:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I use 35mm2 welding cable cheap as chips ebay

Broken Link Removed

Unless you can cross link to the starter battery 35mm is probably overkill but of course will do no harm.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Unless you can cross link to the starter battery 35mm is probably overkill but of course will do no harm.
25mm is not a saving except in weight. Mine are connected to the starter battery via the B2B

?

Deleted User
Couple of points first your battery can in reality only give you half the rated capacity, regularly pulling it below 50% will dramatically shorten it's life. Also starter batteries are optimised for high currents for short periods so will not give off their best used as a house battery. Leisure batteries are an economical solution though if you need less then than 80AH deep discharge golf cart or disabled buggy batteries may be your best bet

Cheers maxi. I was having a quick look on ebay and did not realise i could get a leisure battery at 85AH delivered for £50. It all adds to selling points when the time comes for me to move to a larger van.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Large blunt screwdriver and a wallop with hammer did the same job on the last one i made up.

Decent hydraulic ones do not cost that much more, and screwdriver and vice crimping can lead to poor connections, overheating and fire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back