DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've had a worrying couple of weeks since getting back from our last trip. Our dog Charlie developed a rash and spots on his body, coupled with a bit of hair loss on his front legs.
After treatment by the vet he is now more or less back to normal. We still don't what the problem was, the vet’s best guess is some sort of allergic reaction.
The good news is it isn't Leishmaniasis, which our vet knows about as they are currently treating a rescue dog from Spain which has this disease. For a while he was concerned this was what Charlie had.
Which brings me to the point of this post. Leishmaniasis is endemic around the Mediterranean coast and is moving north I believe. I knew it was 100% fatal if untreated but what I didn't know was it can be treated but not cured.
Additionally, the treatment is daily injections for 4 to 5 weeks coupled with a daily tablet which the dog may have to take for the rest of its life. Even with this the disease can resurface and the injections have to be started again.
There is a vaccine but it isn't totally effective but given our long trips to sunny shores the vet has recommended this for Charlie. He needs a blood test first then it is 3 injections three weeks apart. I haven't asked about cost but I know the blood test is £100.
Of course we use Advantix and will probably add a Scalibor collar but these are only deterrents to the sand fly. If a determined critter bites the dog the outcome may not be good.
So, in summary, the purpose of this long winded post is to spread something I didn't know - Leishmaniasis can't be cured. They can treat your dog, and some dogs react badly to the drugs, but they can't totally cure the dog.
Take all precautions!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Hope Charlie is ok, a bit scared when you think of the things they can catch.

Just shows how lucky we are in this country...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear about Charlie and glad he`s recovering.
Is Leishmaniasis carried by sand fly ?

Yes, though in other parts of the world it spreads in other ways I believe. The fly is most active at night and in hindsight taking him for a last walk before going to bed along a beach when we were Sicily probably wasn't very clever.

He's fine now, more or less. The vet gave him a steroid injection which made him thirsty (a known side effect apparently) - so we woke to puddles on the floor a few mornings recently. The joy of pooches. :)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Hi @DBK
Our Charlie had this course of injections over 9 weeks last year for our trip to Fuertventura think it cost about £180.
Charlie seemed to have a slight temperature and slept all night, the vet advised us it was a fairly new drug but was the best option available.
We didn't notice any side affects thankfully.

We did mention to the vet that our Charlie has never had a tick since the Leishmaniasis injections!
This year Charlie had a booster (1 injection) cost about £70 I believe if you miss the booster you have to start the 9 weeks course again this time no side affects

Glad you're Charlie is on the mend(y)

@Figaro we were told it's the sand fly that is the problem.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi @DBK
Our Charlie had this course of injections over 9 weeks last year for our trip to Fuertventura think it cost about £180.
Charlie seemed to have a slight temperature and slept all night, the vet advised us it was a fairly new drug but was the best option available.
We didn't notice any side affects thankfully.

We did mention to the vet that our Charlie has never had a tick since the Leishmaniasis injections!
This year Charlie had a booster (1 injection) cost about £70 I believe if you miss the booster you have to start the 9 weeks course again this time no side affects

Glad you're Charlie is on the mend(y)

@Figaro we were told it's the sand fly that is the problem.
Many thanks for that. Good job we bought a plastic money box (in the shape of a cow) when we visited Switzerland! We will start saving. Apparently he needs the blood test first because he has been to countries where the disease is endemic. My medical advisor (Mrs DBK) says this is probably because they use a "live" vaccine so if the disease is already present (it can take years to appear) the vaccine could trigger it into action.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Did wonder about the blood test please thank Mrs DBK for me (y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Which are the countries where this sand fly is more prevalent .
More or less anywhere bordering the Med - Spain, France, Italy, Greece etc. I'm not sure about Portugal but I suspect you could find it in the Algarve. Sadly, I came across a good map showing the distribution in Europe but can't find it again - but it mostly just showed a band a few hundred miles deep around the Mediterranean coast. However, I also read it is moving north so any map is likely to be out of date.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We gave our pup this injection prior to our travels! I’m not sure how effective it is but we thought it was worth it!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hope Charlie continues to make good progress.
I sponsor a dog in a rescue centre in Spain. They rehome most of the dogs but those identified as having Leishmaniasis they have to keep and treat in Spain.

With the damp, muddy weather here it's also well to be aware of Alabama Rot---- rare but a nasty disease. ( maps of reported cases can be found online ) I've made up a solution of Hibiscrub in a spray to clean the dogs legs and underbelly if they get muddy in boggy/ wooded areas. Don't know how effective it is as a precaution but all I could think of, especially as I can't drive to take them to the beach at the moment :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back