Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I used to own a Titanium M6 with a couple of lenses I loved it and must have put a thousand of rolls of film through it. these mechanical Leicas were stunningly well engineered. But I wouldn't by a digital Leica. No more than I'd by a digital Rolex. Though I would like my old M6 back :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You're paying a huge premium just for the Leica name. I wouldn't buy one either.

If you really want a rangefinder style camera, although with digital that's meaningless, there are plenty of other options that are at least as good for a fraction of the cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Hmm, I agree, you're better off with a decent Canon or Nikon DSLR
I've been using Canon 1 D series for many years, however with the space limitations in a motorhome, I'll be needing to move to something smaller and prehaps a little less conspicuous.

As a point and shoot I use the Canon G series cameras, and while excellent I'd rather have changeable lenses and frankly better glass than the G series offers

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Hmmmm. I am not sure how helpful these replies are?! A DSLR is a different tool to a rangefinder. I love my DSLR (Canon, but it does not matter) and it suits my photography. If I wanted a camera for candids or that was small and light I would go for CSC camera. The Leicas are superb and I presume the OP has a Leica but wants advice on lebnses? If so try a photography forum like DRreview as there are loads of experts on there who will help.
Otherwise I have friends who swear by the new Fuji which is expensive but still a fraction of the Leica. Those Leicas ooze quality, though!

Ah we crossed! Look at the Fujis as they are fantastic. A pro friensd of mine is seriously considering giving up on DSLRs!

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I've been using Canon 1 D series for many years, however with the space limitations in a motorhome, I'll be needing to move to something smaller and prehaps a little less conspicuous.

As a point and shoot I use the Canon G series cameras, and while excellent I'd rather have changeable lenses and frankly better glass than the G series offers
I always have the feeling my 1Dx and lenses would tip my motorhome over the weight limit :D so I leave it at home and only take my Olympus m4/3 gear.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Don't bother with digital Leica. If you want the same quality as the M series & don't mind a fixed 35 mm equivalent lens go for the Fuji X100 F. Fantastic camera and my go to shooter for everything where I don't want to lug the D5 around.

Nov 23, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have an mate and an M9P with a number of lenses all of which I have owned for some years. My favourite lens is a Summilux M 1.4/35 Asph which is truly fabulous. I use these cameras for landscape work and general street/family shots as well as for travel. They are manual focus only but are easy to focus quickly. These cameras produce very high quality photographs with great colour rendition up to A3 without difficulty. The quality of the lenses are second to none but they are expensive, although mine are now worth significantly more than I paid for them. The bodies are not!!!!

I also have a Nikon D3 which I use for anything which moves quickly, or where I must have an autofocus lense.

Last year I bought a Fuji X Pro1 and three auotfocus lenses thinking it might prove to be a good compromise. I have not used it a great deal as I do not think the results are anywhere near those from my mate at almost 10 years old and the M9P is an upgrade on that. Perhaps that is not surprising given the quality and cost of Leica glass. I will get rid of the Fuji very soon as I can't see me using it.

Many of these views are subjective and I realise not everyone will agree but I hope this helps in some way.

Nov 23, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
No I us my D3 with longer lenses as I have them for moving subjects. iPad doesn't like mate!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
If you don't know what lenses you need then why would you be buying a Leica?

They are the most expensive cameras, for what you actually get, on the planet.

If you need advice, on a Motorhome forum, about what lenses to get for a £3000-£5000 camera, then you shouldn't be buying that camera.

It's like asking Motorhome owners what tyres they'd recommend for a Bugatti Veyron.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If you don't know what lenses you need then why would you be buying a Leica?

They are the most expensive cameras, for what you actually get, on the planet.

If you need advice, on a Motorhome forum, about what lenses to get for a £3000-£5000 camera, then you shouldn't be buying that camera.

It's like asking Motorhome owners what tyres they'd recommend for a Bugatti Veyron.
Well... thanks for your input..... it was most helpful...... I can say that after eight months that I’m very happy with my three lens selection ....... and I’m glade that you are contributing to my tyre selection thread ...... thanks @Go Humberto!........ banker

EDIT banker = Wabbit

Last edited:

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Leica cleverly market a lack of features as a kind of extortionate optional extra.
They are fundamentally very nice cameras but £3,000 more than they should be.

My advice to anyone else would be the same though. If you don't know what lenses to buy then don't spent £6,000 on a camera.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just reading this thread as I have an interest in photography, as I am a Canon and Olympus man I haven`t a clue about Leica lenses, so I won`t offer any advice or opinions on owning a Leica camera.
Unlike some who haven`t offered any help to Alistair 33 other than You don`t want that, It`s not worth the money.
It`s a bit like those that answer a thread by saying I haven`t a clue about that subject but someone will be along soon who does.
If you can`t offer what the original post asked then why bother at all.
I kind of feel sorry for Alistair getting banned as I feel he was baited some what, ok no need for him to use the Banker analogy but there again come on guys if you can`t offer useful advice then don`t don`t offer anything.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
A bit off topic but I was reading recently that new top end smart phones are a match for expensive DSLR cameras. Is that true or even possible? If so I can see me ditching my much loved but quite big Canon.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Oops l should have typed a reply 1st. The fuji isn't a pocket camera, at least it won't fit in my pocket but it is a cracking good fixed lens camera. They have come down quite a bit and in my view the one listed is a bargain.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A bit off topic but I was reading recently that new top end smart phones are a match for expensive DSLR cameras. Is that true or even possible? If so I can see me ditching my much loved but quite big Canon.

My all singing and dancing iphone will never replace my Canon 7D mk2.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I also need some help with my camera, I press the button but the cuckoo will not pop out, anyone any idea what's wrong .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back