Left Hand Vehicles (1 Viewer)

MH Dreamer

Free Member
Jul 12, 2010
Milton Keynes
Funster No
For those of you with LHD vehicles how did you get on when you did it the first time?

Did it take long to get used too?

How do other vehicle drivers reaen they see the front passenger/ pet instead of the driver?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never really a problem its easy to keep to the left as you can judge where the kerb is. The only cheek tightening time is in roads where you are right up to the centre white line and a bus or wagon comes the other way and doesn't slow down-----watch my mirror :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
For those of you with LHD vehicles how did you get on when you did it the first time?

Did it take long to get used too?

How do other vehicle drivers reaen they see the front passenger/ pet instead of the driver?
Hi MH Dreamer, and welcome to Fun.

It doesn't take long at all, certainly not as long as it takes the passenger to get used to sitting in the "suicide seat". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Single carriageways are one problem, but your approach to a left turn at a junction is another, as it will be crucial for maximum observation. Coughing up at UK toll booths is another, if travelling solo.

Apart from these three aspects, driving a left hooker is a piece of cake. Enjoy, especially across the water.

Best regards,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2009
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
lhd

I love mine so much i'd drive it everyday if i could.::bigsmile:soon got use to it.Its not how you drive its how everyone else drives you have to watch for.

Upvote 0

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Hi Dreamer,
I agree, never had any problems, and it's good to be able to tuck the truck tight into the nearside edge of the road.
I find if I keep the headlights on all the time and hog the crown of the road, any oncoming traffic jumps out of the way.
I'm bigger than most of the stuff I meet...

Occupy your space... You paid for it !
:thumb:

Oh, and if you really want to freak people out, get yourself an old steering wheel from a junker and get the smallest child to occupy the passenger seat.
Even better if you can make it look like the dog is driving !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2009
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
lhd

As my father told me -If the roads empty use it all,if not just use most of it.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Gearchanging a bit strange at first and looking to right at junctions apart from that I prefer LHD it seems more natural.Abroad you are on the right side,better at roundabouts , but you still have to be on your guard as I terrified a French Clio driver last month,:Eeek: when I exited a junction and proceeded to drive on the wrong side of the road.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
In 2009 we visited England for the first time.

Not only the steering wheel was at the "wrong" side, also the driver (He, that's me :ROFLMAO:) is used to drive at the other side of the road !!

Took me about 30 minutes to get used to it (thank you all for the patience you had with me those 30 minutes :Blush:)

Had a big arrow on the dash board pointing to the "wrong" direction just to make sure my instinctive reaction could be overruled !!!. Didnt need it after those 30 minutes, but kept it there because many people laughed seeing that arrow !!

I'd say, no problem at all

What i noticed as dangerous is walking and than go to the other side of a road !!

While walking you dont pay too much attention
So in London i was walking with our little dog and wanted to go to the other side of a road. Guess what... i looked at the wrong side to see if traffic was approaching.... was lucky enough to spot the car coming from the other direction. Just luck.

Made it a habit to stop before crossing any road after that experience !!

Paul and Ineke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
I have had my LHD for a year, the gear stick is the one that keeps catching me out, I still reach with my left hand when changing down now and again.

The dog thats another matter, our cassie loves the front seat, in fact any seat, the looks when you drive in a town are from laughing to a look of shock.

Nick

Attachments

• Photo0009.jpg
    Photo0009.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Soon get used to it.

On the manual gearboxes there is a period when you are going for the gear lever on the wrong side as said before....

The only thing I find difficult in the RV is turning left on an angled junction or roundabout entry and unsighted unless I lean right forward.

I try to rely on a passenger for advice on traffic or pull up as square as possible while indicating left.....

Confuses the cars behind.....

This is just down to the layout of the "van".

The missus gets twitch sitting facing the oncoming traffic....:RollEyes:

Steve

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its a breeze. Its easier to drive in Europe with a lhd when your not sure of the system than it is to drive with a rhd.

When your in Britain you know the way things work and its not a problem.

Two things tho be carefull of. Turning left at a junction (unsighted), particularley at rounabouts and oncoming traffic taking you wing mirror off, its the HGV's that couldn't care less.

I have an automatic and so I havent got the problem with the gear stick, howvere I have drivwn loads of lhd manual gear change cars and it doesnt take long to become used to it.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We have a left hander, on narrow lanes I hate being in the suicide seat.:ROFLMAO:
Neil being the main driver as soon got used to and as previously mentioned in this thread prefers it in Europe.

There are some junctions you have to take care in, which is okay when you have a passenger to look out for you, if not Neil tends to get out of his seat to have a look to check.

Another thing to bear in mind is some of the more organised sites, it means you have to park the vehicle around the other way otherwise you door will open towards someones elses plot.

Not a problem, but sometime inconvenient.

Have fun, and safe driving.

Pat

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you can drive right handed.. you soon adapt to left ...:thumb:

in saying that, there are plenty who can't drive RIGHT handed and shouldn't even attempt LEFT handed , :Doh: , the spacial challenged that is, between the ears :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
left hand drive

hi there MH dreamer and a warm welcome to MHF :thumb:i have been driving left hand drive vechicles now for about 2 and a half years and just love them.at the moment we have a four winds windsport rv and a ford f150 pick-up.once you get used to riding along the hedgerow you will be fine.as larry said just concentrate on the verge side.take your time and dont worry about what other motorists are thinking,just make sure you arrive at your destination intact and safe:thumb:eek:ther motorists are usually in awe of your vechicle anyway.just go for it you wont look back.enjoy:thumb:regards brian jo & josh:winky:

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi, I have driven left hand since the late sixties, but still remember getting behind the wheel of that mustang, the very first left hand corner confused the hell out of me and felt so abnormal, but 15 mins later I was an old pro (so to speak) you will soon get used to it.

If you are really concerned we do left hand drive driving courses. But you shouldn't need it.
Rick and Rosie

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,have had left hookers since 1970,the first half hour is a bit of a white knuckle ride but after that you should have no problems if you remember to take your time.
An added bonus to LHD cars and trucks is that you get out streight onto the footpath,not into the road,much safer IMO.
Both my campers are LHD and I personaly prefer LHD, wish the toad was LHD but till it gives up its last will be keeping it,but when the time comes to replace it,it will be for a LHD.
You do need good mirrors for LHD and make sure they dont stick out like prince Charlies ears,also carry a spair mirror glass.

Upvote 0

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have never driven anything else but LHD. You do get some funny looks from cars that are passing as they might see some feet on the dash and have to turn twice and look again ::bigsmile:. I normally wave to them.
If Roger is by himself and approaches a roundabout he rolls slowly up to it so he can have a good look at the traffic. Never had a problem.

Maddie

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back