Left hand drive. (1 Viewer)

solar bob

Free Member
May 15, 2018
Funster No
Has anyone got any experience/opinions on left hand drive motorhomes on uk roads? Are they dearer to insure?

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not as I recall and you soon get used to driving on wrong side.
I also used to drive stretch limo's which were left hand drive, no issues really.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
According to NFU they’re no dearer to insure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Never heard of any increase in insurance costs, certainly ours didn’t incur any extra loading.
Driving is no problem apart from some junctions where visability to the right can be a problem.

As most of our UK driving tends to be on dual carriageway roads getting to and from the tunnel it’s easy.

Richard

Neil Ric Tic

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 11, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740+
Exp
Getting There!
Our insurers said that there was no difference in cost whether LHD or RHD.

As Clarky says, some junctions can be a bit iffy, usually remedied by careful positioning on approach.

Some techie Funsters have cameras to assist with junctions!

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Ive recently insured LHD, lots of quotes, no loading for LHD from any insurer.
I use a camera on right hand side for occasional difficult junctions. Interior mounted.
No undue problems

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is rhd and almost all travelling on the continent. Don't really notice any problems. In fact the worse junction for visibility is near to my storage site, and lhd would give a better view.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Ours is a left hand drive. If the reason for a left hand drive is to make it easier to drive in mainland Europe go for it as there is no detriment to a uk experience however if it’s just because you have seen something you like and it’s left hand drive and you have no plans to drive on the continent I would buy right hand drive.

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
I have LHD MH imported from Germany and can honestly say I have never regretted buying it. I would much rather have the wheel on the "correct" side on the continent where the roads and drivers can be less familiar than in the UK. As other threads on the site have pointed out before, trade-ins for LHD in the UK will probably be a lot less but again if you should want to take advantage of the excellent deals available over the Channel, they will be much better. (You may not even be able to trade in a RHD abroad) Insurance wise, made no difference to my NFU quote.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I don't think it makes a massive difference in the UK. Our road layouts are really well designed. Likewise, driving in France, Germany, Belgium and Netherlands, their roads are really good so driving a right-hooker isn't an issue, so it won't make much difference... Except in the occasional 'old town' type areas where there have been compromises. However, road layouts in Spain and Italy are frequently terrible (and very inconsistent!). The main problem I have with a RHD van are merges onto faster roads because the view over my shoulder onto the carriageway is so poor.

One comic bonus of driving a RHD van in Europe is the number of double takes you get when my other half has her bare feet up on the dash and a phone in her hand. We've had police cars pass us and jam on the brakes before they've figured it out. Counter to that are the number of times I've tried to wave someone out or tried to get eye contact with someone, and they are just looking at Joolz with slight annoyance and confusion.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Mine is left hand drive, as said, makes things easier abroad and at home where you are more familiar/comfortable it's no issue. I would always look for LHD in the future.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've had LHD vans for nearly 20 years....mainly because at least 90% of my driving is in mainland Europe.

Entry to roundabouts in UK can sometimes be a problem but you soon learn to position the van on entry to maximise visibility to the right. Same with skewed T-junctions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last two vans have been LHD, wouldn't have anything else now. Most of our driving is abroad but doesn't cause any problems in the UK. I have fitted a fresnel lens on the passenger window makes life easy on the occasion when I drive it solo.
Biggest advantage is you can trade/sell in any country.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
What will the situation be with regards selling in Europe after Brexit? Will it make any difference?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would imagine selling a U.K. reg van in Europe could be more difficult unless you sell to another Brit ( we did that last year.)
You may be ok selling to a dealer or part exchanging, but you may not get a great deal. As yet, nobody will know the true facts.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I live part time in France and both my Motorhome and car at right hand drive , never noticed any problems. So I suppose the same will go for left hand drive vehicles in the UK.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Has anyone got any experience/opinions on left hand drive motorhomes on uk roads? Are they dearer to insure?
Had them, love them... and no probs with insurance

On your home turf you very quickly get used to them, and when abroad they make life easy

The only downside I found was at Y junctions ...I got over that easily though with an extra mirror

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I have had LHD cars and driven LHD artics on the continent and my motorhomes are.

No different in my opinion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back