Left Hand Drive (1 Viewer)

GetawayGerry

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Funster No
How do people get on with Right Hand Drive motohomes in Europe?
Have people bought LHD motorhomes because they intended mainly to use it on the continent?
Is there increased insurance agro/cost in having a LHD. They ask about modifications don’t they and I assume a LHD would not be standard.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as its produced by the manufacturer how can it not be standard if you convert then its not standard but modified. some ins. ask some dont. not a problem drivng anywhere. as more countries in the world hace lefthand drive rh drive is very often a factory mod. causes lots of problems when working on some factory rhd because of this. if you cant drive lhd here best not go abroad in a rhd. best use a trike, they are lhd/rhd or is it bi,hd.

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have always had LHD and have had no problem here or obviously abroad. We have bought all the motorhomes in Germany as we do like the continental makes and cheaper in Germany.

Kind regards

Maddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
Lhd

We have always had LHD and Hubbyrefused to consider anything else!
Our intention was to travel around France to find our Dream Business and future home but sadly the recession decreed that we could not sell our home ......yet.......so here we are onto our second LHD and taking short Holidays where possible in France,.

So - no difference in the insurance - BUT dealers will try to tell you A - that its more expensive to buy a LHD from them : B - that if you want to part exchange yours that it is worth less than a RHD and finally - the best one yet - C there is no call for them so we don't stock them. - Yet every time we wanted to look at one it had very quickly been sold.
Maybe theres a gap in the market for LHD over here - you never know your luck.

Hubby does not have any problem driving the LHD over here and we now have an RV no comments about LHD prices at the RV dealers!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Good luck

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
For six months of four years had the experience of driving a LHD RV towing a RHD car and for the last two years a RHD van round Europe - never really thought about the difference.

Thinking about it now I found that with the RHD van there could be advantages - on narrow mountain roads as the driver you are closest to the edge :Eeek: and can therefore judge it more finely- not so good for the passenger in the suicide seat though. Passing - occasionally you need confident passenger advice.

Six of one half-a-dozen of the other when you return to the UK.

:Smile:
Keith

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Thinking about it now I found that with the RHD van there could be advantages - on narrow mountain roads as the driver you are closest to the edge :Eeek: and can therefore judge it more finely- not so good for the passenger in the suicide seat though.
:Smile:
Keith

The Swiss used to like lhd trucks for that reason.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I find it easy to drive a LHD motorhome on the continent. Went over in the car (RHD) to Paris at Easter and it felt very strange being on the 'wrong' side again. In the UK, I find it very easy to drive a 'left-hooker'. With a large(r) vehicle, I think it is easier to adapt over here where you are very used to the roads, than it is to adapt 'over there'.
One other thought. We got an automatic MH which stops me instinctively reaching for the driver's door handle to change gear in manual.

Philip

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Have had a LHD for 3 years now and find after about 2 weeks I had adapted quite well to driving in UK where we have the advantage of knowing the roads. In the rest of Europe it is great - no adjustment needed and the junctions are set up to make life easier. The other major advantage is that you are then constantly reminded to go 'the other way' at roundabouts and keep right traffic islands.
I would love someone to come up with a left/right drive to make life even easier. ( so long as it wasn't on a 'Fix It Again Tony' chassis.:ROFLMAO:)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
RHD/LHD.....all depends on the person driving, irrespective of vehicle type.

I've driven both LHD and RHD abroad and here and the point to remember is to make more use of the opposite mirror to what you usually do. If driving RHD on the continent you will use your n/s (passenger) door mirror more, same as you would driving a LHD vehicle here in the UK.

Much more important than the question of should i buy lhd or rhd is to take ultra care when turning around after missing a side road. All too easily you can find yourself coming back out on to the main road on the wrong side! It's very easily done and has caused a number of serious accidents. I've done it myself yet during the 80's/90's i drove regularly on the continent. Here in your own country doing that manoeuvre is virtually 'auto pilot'....you don't even need to think about it.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I would love someone to come up with a left/right drive to make life even easier. ( so long as it wasn't on a 'Fix It Again Tony' chassis.:ROFLMAO:)

Need to get one of those McClaren sporty jobs! Sit in the middle, failing that you could settle for a Messerschmidt bubble car! :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
My last 3 RVs were all LHD, my current car is LHD and I have no problem with either setup. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Main 1 would be overtaking on narrow roads as you need to leave a big gap between you and the car in front to see round it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know the problem Camperian, most do. as to overtaking if you have a large rv/m,home you dont overtake you just enjoy the view. come on think of all the trucks running back n forth it becomes normal.

D

Davrosdarcy

Deleted User
Davrosdarcy

How do people get on with Right Hand Drive motohomes in Europe?
Have people bought LHD motorhomes because they intended mainly to use it on the continent?
Is there increased insurance agro/cost in having a LHD. They ask about modifications don’t they and I assume a LHD would not be standard.

We chose a LHD based on the idea that we would be doing most of our milage in Europe. Although we may end up making more trips in the UK. Counting a trip as a day out or a trip to the garage, or this year, more camping in the UK. There didn't seem to be any difference in insurance, I think secondhand values may be lower, but as more people travel to Europe to motorhome this may be less of a factor. Since most of our milage is in Europe it makes perfect sense to us to have a LHD camper.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
RHD in France

Having driven my RHD van last two years in France & Spain only problem I found was looking back when filtering into a main road especially Motorways. Cured by buying stick on (suction) wide angle mirror from local car accessory shop and fitting to inside of passenger side quarter light. A bit of adjustment around 45degree and you have a perfect rearview.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back