LED replacement (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just replaced the 10W G4 bulbs in the MH with 1.5W LEDs. These are supposed to be equivalent to 10W. I must admit they are disappointing. They appear to be only half the brightness of the original bulbs and I will certainly need to replace the reading spots and the ones over the cooker with higher power ones despite them being rated at 100 lumens. The ones in the washroom are ok. It always was a bit bright in there with 5 downlighters. Now I don't need dark glasses to go to the loo in the middle of the night! What have other funsters replaced theirs with?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you used Warm White or Cool White? The latter are brighter, especially for spotlights.

You don't say where you bought them from. Possibly comparing those which claim to be similar power but from different suppliers may show up differences.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I used warm white. I've not read about differences in brightness. I assumed that 100 lumens is the same whatever the colour temperature. Seems there is more to converting to LEDs than first meets the eye. That is why I'm asking forum members what they swapped to. So to be more specific what colour temperature and LED power have people used?

I used these:
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You probably won't get great quality for £1.61 each and these are not for reading spots anyway. Go to http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting.html. The products are much more expensive but very good quality and you can talk to them on the telephone or email for advice. LED's are great, ours use very little power and are nice and bright (Just as good as the halogen equivalent ) Changed all our bulbs and never regretted it but total cost was something in the order of £80 for 12 G10's for all interior and the outside light (Which has 4 in and is very bright indeed) and 3 reading spots. Can't really remember the exact price but budget for around £80 you might get change

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

We did the same as you the first time we bought LED's. It's a load of phooey??? that the seller gives when they compare light output with wattage.
What you need to do is get the biggest amount of lumens for your Buck. You've already discovered that 100 lumens is not the equivalent of 10w.
Now see what you can buy for the lowest amount.

octopush

Free Member
Sep 28, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2days
I Replaced mine about 5 months ago 20 in all some white and some were i did not want it so bright with warm white.
You have replaced them all with warm white that is were you went wrong.

If you go back to the ebay page that you got them from you can easily see the difference between the two.

Hear is a good link for all your led lighting battery's and moor

Broken Link Removed
Rob

Last edited:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Look for units with 5050 LEDs. They are very bright and of known quality.

If you know how to use a soldering iron, many of there modules contain a diode 'bridge rectifier' on the circuit board to enable the +/- to be connected either way around. This looses ~1.5V so bypassing it gives a good brightness increase. If the module then does not light, swap the +/- over in the fitting.

Converted all my lights to LED and very pleased with the results.

Cheers.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
G8WVW, thanks for the useful comments.
Yes I know which end of the iron is the hot bit!! I have thought of reducing the current limiting resistor in the existing LEDs I bought by a small amount (we have loads of SMD resistors here). Removing the rectifier is just as good an idea (mine have that). Just need to make sure it's plugged in the right way. My LEDs are encased in a clear plastic covering so it will be interesting to see if I can get through that. Out with the scalpal and Dremel I think! I'll look out for the 5050s.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Also converted all my flourscent lamps be removing the internal electronics/brackets etc and using this stuff ...

Broken Link Removed

It can be cut to length and is self-adhesive so just stuck to the back of the fitting. This was actually brighter than the original tube!

Cheers.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Did mine with these cool white,they are very bright:
Broken Link Removed

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I replaced mine with warm LEDs from a supplier recommended for their excellent service on this site recently - http://www.litecone.co.uk/. I bought warm LEDs because the cool white ones are too stark for me and wake me up - as if it were mid day rather than evening - they make it difficult for me to get to sleep at night. The warm ones are certainly bright enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back