Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I was thinking of upgrading my dull strip lights to LED lights ,does anyone have any views on this ,and the best place to buy them,thanks in advance ,Andy:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hi, I was thinking of upgrading my dull strip lights to LED lights ,does anyone have any views on this ,and the best place to buy them,thanks in advance ,Andy:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Try the "search" button be surprised what you can read.

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Andy.

I converted all the lights in my boat to led and they are great, going to do the van once I get time.

2 of 11 where strip lights and they produce a much nicer light than fluorescent. There was a bit of modification to the wiring and it was easy and well worth it.

I read much about LEDs on a boat forum and the main things I picked up where;

- choose warm white as cool white is a lot more harsh

- buy British, EBay is full of cheaper stuff but heard 1 or 2 tales of failures and fires which put me off.

- worth the initial outlay as they use next to no power, combined with LED TV which also runs on love and I could live without ehu for days ( hard to plug in when your at anchor :))

So I would say go for it

Bedazzled is who I bought from,

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Anthony682

Free Member
Mar 5, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
1 year
LED Strip Lights

Hi there, I recently changed all my halogen bulbs to LEDs inside and out of my caravan I cannot believe the brightness as the majority of these are only 2w which replaced my 20w halogen bulbs. I just posted a link for the ebay shop I purchased these from and they was very helpful with my purchase.

These also sell many kinds of Led strip Lights and G4 Led suitable for 20w Halogen replacements

Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

It was a little peace of mind that these suppliers are here in UK and all products are supplied with 12 moth replacement warrenty

Regards
Anthony

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

We've just replaced some Labcraft twin tube units by getting a dual LED strip from Aten Lighting - they do both warm and cool white with a flying lead attached to the end and strong adhesive strip on the back.

They attached perfectly in the gap in the middle of the roof unit. The mod required is to connect them direct to the 12V supply bypassing the inverter.

Aten charge £10 for this size.

Hope this helps....

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
...buy British, EBay is full of cheaper stuff but heard 1 or 2 tales of failures and fires which put me off...

There are no British manufacturers of Light Emitting Diodes. Some British companies make printed circuit boards (on which the diodes are mounted) but all the sellers at MH fairs and shows sell products from Chinese manufactures. On eBay good feedback is the sign of reliability. The guys at the shows give you the option to compare and contrast.

LED manufacturers endeavour to beat each other in terms of light output (measured in lumens) and this means that lamp life can be compromised. But I've never seen evidence of a fire. Short circuits and overheating yes (on big commercial applications) but not in retrofit MR11, G4 lamps or domestic led strips.

Remember don't over egg the pudding - most LED lamps are not going to be dimmable in your MH unless you want to replace a load of wiring and switches. So don't put in a 600 lumen LED to replace a 10w MR11. If you're replacing a small fluorescent strip you only need a LED that gives a similar output i.e. 200-300 lumens. If you're replacing a 5w G4 its 50 lumens, 10w its 120 lumens and a 20w g4 is 330 lumens.

Can you can tell what I do for a living? :Blush:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Question...on one of the above links it states you must change the transformers from halogen to LED? I have not done ths just replaced the halogen with LED and they seem ok. Any more info on this please? :Smile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Question...on one of the above links it states you must change the transformers from halogen to LED? I have not done ths just replaced the halogen with LED and they seem ok. Any more info on this please? :Smile:

This is for bricks and mortar applications: If you have 12v halogen lamps at home they are operating on a transformer (converting you house supply to 12v). These transformers are 12v AC and rated typically at 60va. This type of supply is not suitable for all LED lamps so you may need to replace the transformer with a LED power supply (often called a driver)

In your MH the lights operate on a 12v DC circuit. So there is no transformer to replace. :thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Got all of ours from www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk, at all the shows, even bought them from the house from them as well, not as cheap as ebay but they seem a lot better quality and the guys have there own motorhome as well so they can talk on a level

OP
OP
jabbaman1

jabbaman1

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks

Thanks to all the funster ideas and links ,which I have taken on board , I think I'll go for it thanks again Andy:thumb::thumb::thumb:

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we have just changed are lights from a place called C.A.K in west midlands and they also do the shows web site Broken Link Removed hope this helps :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back