Led lights (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
I recently replaced my flourecent bulbs with led strip light bulbs & they have both blown any ideas funsters cheers Rod

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi Rod

If you have had the lights on when either the engine was running, or whilst you were on a hookup, it could be that the LEDs were rated for 12v only and the slightly higher voltage when the engine was running or when on hookup has taken them beyond their rated limit

Cheers

Trevor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hi Rod

If you have had the lights on when either the engine was running, or whilst you were on a hookup, it could be that the LEDs were rated for 12v only and the slightly higher voltage when the engine was running or when on hookup has taken them beyond their rated limit

Cheers

Trevor

12V LEDS will cope with up to 15v but not light below 9v but 20v will kill them

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Led strips come in two forms, regulated and unregulated.
If you connect an unregulated strip to a normal 12v circuit you will be exposing them to voltages of up to 14.5V which seriously reduces their lifespan.

There are two options. Buy the slightly more expensive regulated led strips, they have a regulator circuit built in.
Or do a little bit of rewiring and add a single regulator to cover the whole lighting system in your van.

I installed a single regulator in my van. So basically I now have two 12v circuits in my van. One for lights which is regulated to 12v and the other which connects directly to the battery for things like the heating, fridge etc etc.

Since doing this my LED's now last more than a whole year rather than 3 months. (I am a fulltimer)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back