LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having been impressed by the effect of the LED lights within the van I did a Google search for 240 volt LEDs with a view to trying some in the house.

I found this article which suggests that the directional nature of LEDs makes them unsuitable for lighting large areas without further development.

It would seem that, at the moment, development is far enough advanced to serve the (relatively limited) application of use of LEDs in MHs, caravans etc but not far enough to make it practical within buildings at an economic price. Looks like it will come though.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I changed mine purely to extend the running time from my leisure batteries.

Yes they are very directional unless you buy the ones with the side mounted leds as well.

I do miss the lovely warm glow of the incandescents though.

Even the "warm" effect leds dont seem to be able to match that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)I do miss the lovely warm glow of the incandescents though.

Even the "warm" effect leds dont seem to be able to match that.

Funny how different things suit different people isn't it. Last Sunday, having changed the one bulb, we compared the light from the (cool white) LED to the tungsten bulb for reading a paperback. Under the LED the page appeared similar to as in daylight whilst the tungsten bulb gives a much yellower light so we preferred the LED.

Be boring if we were all the same though wouldn't it :Smile:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I bought some of these lights at the Exeter show about 2 months ago. Spent about £50 on them.

Went into the van this morning and the front ceiling lights were not working.

Changed the fuse thinking it was the fuse, but no it was not the fuse. Took the cover off the light and found the pins had broke and the bulb just fell out. Looks like the solder is extremely weak as 2 of mine had broken in situ. All I can think of it must be vehicle vibration when driving.

I suppose I may be able to solder them back together, but I just put the old bulbs back in.

Anyone else got the same problem or am I just unlucky.

Lesley

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not had a problem Lesley.....
just done nearly 1000miles around scotland last weekend including the cart track around loch lomond where you cant hear yourself think for rattles.
all still intact and working.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I bought 4 of these and stuck them up with 2 sided tape. Brilliant lights for £2.84. 3 AA batteries last for ages and save your leisure batteries for other things. Think they only come in white but my vans ceiling is white anyway and they look just fine. :thumb:

Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought 4 of these and stuck them up with 2 sided tape. Brilliant lights for £2.84. 3 AA batteries last for ages and save your leisure batteries for other things. Think they only come in white but my vans ceiling is white anyway and they look just fine. :thumb:

Link Removed

We have had some similar to those for about a year. Found them OK for general lighting but not so good for reading as the light level tends to fade a bit during use. That's why we bought the bulbs for the eyeball fittings.

If they suit what you want though then I agree that they are well worth the money.

Graham

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
We have had some similar to those for about a year. Found them OK for general lighting but not so good for reading as the light level tends to fade a bit during use. That's why we bought the bulbs for the eyeball fittings.

If they suit what you want though then I agree that they are well worth the money.

Graham

I use the small 3 l.e.d. ones for reading. They fit nicely behind the pelmets in my van. The big ones are great flood lights.:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i use simular ones in the darker cupboards, 3 leds per light and 2 AA batteries. push the light to turn on, push again to turn off.....very useful.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back