LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
i have posted 2 previous requests for advice, information, tips, etc. but had NO response so far am i doing something wrong, iam a fairly recent member to
motorhomefun and even more of a novice to using a computer and this forum:Sad:

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Hi, We changed all our lights for led lights and its made a bid difference .I got them from e-bay and they came from China and they were very helpful when i needed 5 more lights and they were sold single our in 10's they sold me 5 at half the price of the 10 instead of the single on's that worked out more expensive .It is a lot of money but worth the layout .Hope this helps. Betty

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi gwyntaxi

We have changed our halogen spot light bulbs for LED's. We chose the Warm White in preference to the Bright White, which we found a bit to harsh. We were unable to find replacements for our flourescent ceiling fittings, but found an LED Strip which fitted our washroom fitting. I am now on the lookout for replacement LED's to fit our awning light. All in all we are very pleased with the LED's, no significant change in the level of lighting but much less drain on the leisure batteries.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
. I am now on the lookout for replacement LED's to fit our awning light. All in all we are very pleased with the LED's, no significant change in the level of lighting but much less drain on the leisure batteries.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I have fitted an awning LED light :Smile:

Its nine LED's on a card. There is a short length of twin flex which is connected to a standard bayonet fitting base.
Just a matter of removing the original 12v bulb and popping in the LED fitting.
I have mounted the card on a blob of blue tack.
Its a white light and is really bright and gives a good light especially when the awning is up.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
i have posted 2 previous requests for advice, information, tips, etc. but had NO response so far am i doing something wrong, iam a fairly recent member to
motorhomefun and even more of a novice to using a computer and this forum:Sad:

Hi gwyntaxi, the only thing I can see that you are doing wrong is not reading all the replies that your posts received. Not sure what you are expecting, but the best thing to do is check your own threads when you log in. The best way to do this is click the search button on the top blue bar it is labelled "Search+" then click "view all threads started by you" Click on the picture below it should help. Click on the threads below to see the responses to your previous questions:thumb:

9 responses to this same question were given here:Smile: Link Removed

3 responses here Link Removed

Why have I got the feeling that Gwyn is not going to see this:Doh:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi,

Like Brisey we changed our halogens in the rear lounge for led's. We got them at the Newark show in March. We haven't changed the fluorescents in the bathroom,or over the pull down bed yet. big difference to battery drain.
Lucille

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Common bulbs would be MR11, MR16 and G4. All these are simple to change in most light fittings. As said before warm white is best, beware cheap LED's, from our experiance the light output is not as good.

We keep all these in stock and are not a million miles away from you!

Dan:Blush:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have fitted an awning LED light :Smile:

Its nine LED's on a card. There is a short length of twin flex which is connected to a standard bayonet fitting base.
Just a matter of removing the original 12v bulb and popping in the LED fitting.
I have mounted the card on a blob of blue tack.
Its a white light and is really bright and gives a good light especially when the awning is up.
Hi Space runner could you tell me where you got the leds for your awning light.
Thanks, John.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have always advocated LED lights.Changed them all primarily to greatly extend the life of the Leisure batteries.

Did all the instrument panel and exterior running lights, brake, side and reversing lights too.

Money very well spent IMHO.:thumb:

guymid

Free Member
Jun 17, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've changed all the bulbs to LEDs in my van including the cab ones and the awning ones. It gives us the freedom to use lights as much as we wish without worrying about the battery. I can have all my lights on (about 10) and it use only the same power as my old two main flourescent lights (24 watt each).

All the bulbs are from Ebay, and most have been straight replacements (ie, take the bulb out, and put the new one in). some I've bought new connectors for and wired them into the existing light fittings so that I can use the widely available and relatively cheap G4s (standard small halogen two pin fitting).

The best advice I can give is to always use Warm White rather than Day White, and only use SMD type LEDs. SMD LEDs are yellow discs rather than the old transparent plastic dome, and they are much much more powerful.

Also note that the number of LEDs has no bearing on the light output. SMDs are much more powerful, but the light comes from the size of the discs, and you can get G4's with only 9 larger SMDs on which are just as powerful as ones with 15 smaller SMDs. Many of the ebay sellers show the ratings in lumen (lm) so you know what you're buying. Generally a decent SMD should give you at least 100lm and will be the equivalent of at least a 10watt halogen bulb even though it will only consume 1 to 2 watts.

Also note that for extra power in my main overhead light fittings I've put 3 or 4 SMD bulbs. This gives strong lighting for less than 10 watts power.

Oh I can also really recommend the Philips Spot-On stick-on LEDs that are £6 from amazon. I've got one in each cupboard and what's really clever is that they have a built in PIR, they're battery powered and even though you stick them onto a surface, the back (which is stuck on) is only connected to the main unit by magnets so you can just pull the main part off to change batteries (not had to yet in three months) and pop it back. The give enough light to make a difference, to cupboards and are great in your fridge too if you don't have a fridge light like me. I have two in the fridge and when I open the door they automatically switch on and I can see the contents really well.

If you see us on a camp site, our motorhome is the one that is positively glowing!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
has anyone noticed where this thread is placed......

MOTORHOMES IN THE NEWS.

no wonder it didnt get much early response and no replies from gwyntaxi

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
gwyntaxi re;led lighting

many thanks everyone ,andyes Jim i did see this one:Blush:more by luck than judgment its my own fault i just dont seem to be able to grasp the art of computer
literacy:Sad:which makes using the website forum seem difficult, well to me anyway
i;ll grasp it eventually, thanks again everyone :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back