nick hay

Free Member
Mar 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2015
Hi, looking for some advice on wiring. I have installed my 6 led roof lights and done it with a ring, ie (not parallell more like christmas tree lights) going to a switch by the door, which is in effect half way round as the leisure battery is in the back.
The switch is a dimmer and it doesnt work..... I've tried taking the two earths to earth from the switch and making the two light strings join from the posative but that doesnt work. I cant change the wiring with9ut taking the roof down which i dint want t do, any suggestions?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure I understand. Parallel wiring means all the negative (0v) wires are joined together and all the positive (+12v) wires are joined together. Series is entirely different and won't work. How exactly are they wired and how many connections are there on the switch (before anything is connected to it)?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The LED lights need to be in parallel, not in series. You'll have to change the wiring somehow. I'd suggest the easiest way is to have a pair of wires between each of the LEDs in the roof, but leave the single wire from the battery and switch.

Is there any possibility that you could get an extra wire between the LED lights in the roof? For example, you could attach two wires to the existing single wire and pull the two wires through. (be sure to attach very firmly and don't pull too hard).

Then connect all the LED positives together, and all the negatives together. Finally connect the battery positive supply to the positive at one end of the chain. Connect the negative supply (from the switch) to the negative at the other end of the chain.

This diagram shows the way I think you wired the LEDs at the top, with the suggested wiring below.

Attachments

• LEDWiring1.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
N

nick hay

Free Member
Mar 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2015
Thanks.... I saw an original guide saying you could do series but everything I've seen since says parallell only. Looks like I'll have to rewire, tricky but doable.. I've got plenty of time at the moment!

OP
OP
N

nick hay

Free Member
Mar 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2015
Not sure I understand. Parallel wiring means all the negative (0v) wires are joined together and all the positive (+12v) wires are joined together. Series is entirely different and won't work. How exactly are they wired and how many connections are there on the switch (before anything is connected to it)?
Thanks... I will need to rewire.. I saw guidance on line saying series worked on led's…. and that's what I did.... so will redo in parallell…..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks... I will need to rewire.. I saw guidance on line saying series worked on led's…. and that's what I did.... so will redo in parallell…..
You wire them in series (usually in groups of 3 or 4 for 12v)when dealing with individual 5mm or 3mm LEDs. Also you put a resistor is in series with them, that's what you've probably seen online. When you buy ready to use LED lamps they need 12v each, so parallel is the way to go?

OP
OP
N

nick hay

Free Member
Mar 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2015

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Richard only 5 posts. BTW what did you buy 200 resisters for?

I wanted them for my fridge fan thermostat circuit to make the cut-in temperature a bit higher. They are about £1.50 for 100, most of that is postage so if you buy 20 it's still over a quid. So a hundred it was ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back