LED bulb replacement proving an issue for 2004 Hymer Classic. (1 Viewer)

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
When we first arrived at our chosen spot one night I had more lights on than usual while getting organised, I noticed the current drain and was shocked how high it was so decided to switch the halogen bulbs to LED asap.
First set arrived and tried a couple, looked good for a few minutes then they started flashing slowly on and off before staying off but maybe come on for a few random seconds.
Bought another set, unlike the first ones which were round near the legs then flattened to a blunt point, the second set were the barrel type from a named brand and a slightly lower rating. Changed the same two by the main sky light and no issues so I changed the rest. Last night a mate and I were banished to the Hymer to watch the football so had the new led lights on, after an hour or two there was a pop or click by the light above the door and it went out. The unchanged bulb on the outside light off the same switch was still on. I felt the plastic cove and it was very slightly warm so I turned the switch off then back on again and the led bulb came back on but then started to smoke a little so I turned it off.
No idea why I am having such an issue, I checked the ratings in the Hymer manual then ordered the equivalent replacement in LED bulbs. Right now I'm putting the halogen bulbs back, not keen on making smoke signals with new bulbs.
Anyone else had similar problems? Is it a heat issue due to the size of the light fittings or am I ordering the wrong bulbs.

Cheers. Barry.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, it's been reported on here that 12volt led's are not good enough as we generally run at up to 14 volts. There was quite a long thread about it so with that info I bought 8-30volt ones and haven't suffered any failures up to now. Again as suggested I bought warm white for the lounge area and cool white for the kitchen and bathroom. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as above, on some vans you can get away with cheap unstabilised LED bulb replacements and some you cant. look for stabilised ones with a voltage range from 8 to 30v

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone else had similar problems?
Cheers. Barry.

Complete mystory to me. I've a mix of types and had one or two failures in 10 years. Caused by poor quality pins that break off due to vibration.

Any "12v" bulb will be speced for 14V because just about none will every be installed onto a regulated 12V power supply.

Don't give up. Don't buy the very cheapest.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

PS Do you have a voltmeter to check your 12V supply voltage, just in case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds good and yes I have a voltmeter.......well several:)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
When we first arrived at our chosen spot one night I had more lights on than usual while getting organised, I noticed the current drain and was shocked how high it was so decided to switch the halogen bulbs to LED asap.
First set arrived and tried a couple, looked good for a few minutes then they started flashing slowly on and off before staying off but maybe come on for a few random seconds.
Bought another set, unlike the first ones which were round near the legs then flattened to a blunt point, the second set were the barrel type from a named brand and a slightly lower rating. Changed the same two by the main sky light and no issues so I changed the rest. Last night a mate and I were banished to the Hymer to watch the football so had the new led lights on, after an hour or two there was a pop or click by the light above the door and it went out. The unchanged bulb on the outside light off the same switch was still on. I felt the plastic cove and it was very slightly warm so I turned the switch off then back on again and the led bulb came back on but then started to smoke a little so I turned it off.
No idea why I am having such an issue, I checked the ratings in the Hymer manual then ordered the equivalent replacement in LED bulbs. Right now I'm putting the halogen bulbs back, not keen on making smoke signals with new bulbs.
Anyone else had similar problems? Is it a heat issue due to the size of the light fittings or am I ordering the wrong bulbs.

Cheers. Barry.
I changed to LED in my swift. Both spot and ceiling and had no problems at all.
Not got round to changing new van ones yet. Although it does have some.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back