Leaving technology at home.. Give your brain a holiday and go 'unplugged'. (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Great device is sat nav, has saved many a marriage.. wouldn't leave home without, and it doesn't need the web, but don't recall mentioning it though..

nope, defo didn't
Still technology though Jim - and you need the Internet to update the maps & software.

Caught you, welcome to the club :LOL:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Great device is sat nav, has saved many a marriage.. wouldn't leave home without, and it doesn't need the web, but don't recall mentioning it though..

nope, defo didn't
well my GPS Is Android Navigator on my phone and microsoft Autoroute on the lappy with a GPS module Plugged In the USB port. So no discreet GPS needed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
for years I was a slave to a company mobile.. the day I left it was like lifting a huge load off my back..

I still get a mini-panic attack when I hear the ring tone that was on my works phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
How do you guarantee you are not visited by that freeloading, lazy, verbose, grumpy old git JJ?

Easy Peasy.

Make sure you are somewhere where there is no possibility of an internet connection.

No internet... no me.

JJ :cool:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Having been a pad & pen man for years, I succumbed to IT.

In the MH, we've got the laptop, Android tablet, MiFi, 2 x WiFi boosters, Free view TV, Satellite TV, (both with PVR facility) Pocket HD full of films, etc, Digital camera, HD Dash Cam, Mp3 music, Bluetooth speaker, Sat Nav, mobile phone (which is only turned on when we leave the house).

Me, a lost cause? Aye, go on then Jim. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've got a Mac laptop which I take in the MH and run off the 12v. This is ideal for relaxing because I don't like Macs. I use it as a photo backup so my pics aren't just kept on my camera. If there's free wi-fi I may use it to check the news/weather forecast or some aire info but I don't dwell. I certainly don't do e-mail. If there's no free wi-fi I don't bother and I don't care.

I close my eBay shop down when away, and I don't sell anything within 14 days of departing just in case something's returned by a buyer and it needs dealing with. I don't do Faecebook or Twitter at all, anywhere.

My mobile phone is for keeping in touch with the missus when on holiday, and for the occasional text, maybe to the offspring back home. I refuse to put an e-mail app on it.

We have the FreeSat satellite TV/DVD which we use sometimes for selected programmes in the evening.

The only indispensable MH hi-tech for us is the SatNav, which offers live traffic updates and helps navigate us from one aire to the next.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I am fortunate to do a job that I enjoy, so don't have the same need to escape that some do. I have the van equipped so that I can work from it - in the middle of a rally field if necessary. Without that, we wouldn't be able to go away half as much as we do.

Even so, I don't think I take as much as some. The sat nav doubles up as TV & DAB radio. The laptop will also act as a TV, but apart from F1, I hardly ever watch it. I do have good quality wifi & 3G routers though. I take a mobile, but hardly ever use it for calls - work stuff all comes via the internet.

OH has a kindle & a little radio with headphones. She does use the sat nav TV quite a bit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Phone & sat nav. have a hudl but only ever used for maps. Wouldn't occur to me to look for internet .No tv.
Wife would have phone, lap top, & would want an internet signal.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Update to an earlier post for @NickNic now we're in the Faroes. Blowing a gale yesterday, bit better today but looking at the forecast on the Beeb this morning it seems much of the UK is getting it too.

And on the OP, couldn't have done that without the technology. :LOL:

P1040951.JPG

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Just been to Toronto and hired a car with a Canadian friend who brought their Garmin Sat Nav with them for us to use. Got out of the airport and it couldn't find the satellites. Pitch black with snow and ice in below zero conditions on their equivalent of spaghetti junction. Turned the iPhone on, chose Maps and used directions. Locked in and gave us fab directions immediately. Have to say that I can't be without technology nowadays!

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
We take tv blueray playee both phones both tablets kindle hunby has two laptops one is works (just in case)
But i love to sit and do jigsaws puzzle books and read MMM on campouts as never get time to do any them at home.

So we do get unplugged time even though we take stuff with us we have it just in case. The thing is if didnt take them think would be fretting over them but all ok just have them with us and not use them .

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
On our first ever proper outing last year we went to the New Forest and being newbies I had almost every idea for things to do saved as internet links, or little clips from websites in Evernote. Bad idea. This time I've printed out interesting locations, maps etc. on that paper stuff and put them all into a folder.
In addition I got rid of a couple of time-consuming annoyances last year: Facebook being one, and spam emails the second. It took a while to 'unsubscribe' from them all but there are now so few that the feeling of getting away from it all should be greatly enhanced this year!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back