Leaving technology at home.. Give your brain a holiday and go 'unplugged'. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry Jim but I don't want a break from the things I enjoy and I wonder why you consider tech a chore

I didn't say it was a chore.. I said a break from the 'internet' might be beneficial.. I enjoy toys as much as the next person..

but we can become willing slaves to the web without realising it

now I am off out.. sun is shining and the web is going off for the rest of the day :cool:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I take a mobile phone,saves the wife walking to the nearest phone box ? if we break down. If we were to take all the techy gismos,we would have to take the grand kids..."666" grandson 24 and his sister (Don't ask), to find out how they work ......... No gismos is a wise choice !
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have an Iphone 6 with kindle app for my reading as we don't have or want tv, it also has great camera and internet for finding aires with CC Infos and other apps also Acsi sites or Bord Atlas locations and looking at them on Google Earth or Apple Maps to see what they are like. It also tethers to my Applemac if I want it to.

Sure we could just use a map and a guide book and just turn up having little idea what a place was like, particularly the getting away from it quite places, which would be difficult or impossible to find and if we broke down or needed medical assistance or wanted to book something or amend something already booked or we wanted to keep in touch easily with friends and family. All this in one small device in my pocket. Its my servant, not my master and its certainly not a lost cause for me.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you had to spend a month in the Faroes with nothing to do then you too would take the laptop, tablet, smart phone and the sky box. Lost cause party for me. :LOL:

DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG
P1020339.JPG

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
We take phones and netbook/tablet with us but use them far less than we do at home. We also take e-readers which we probably use more than at home and MP3 players which we probably use about the same. Never take a TV. We use the sat nav more than at home :)

It isn't a matter of being plugged or unplugged but just using tools appropriately to support what we want to do at the time.

So you need sat nav to get round the house no wonder you always look LOST. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As said before take mobiles in case of emergency! also TV / PVR to watch prerecorded films on miserable evenings, also packed mifi & tablet for the odd bit of my fun fix if we get the odd 3 signal, so possibly fit in the Lost cause !!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I LOVE leaving everything , except my phone but don't use ... it's just there in case of emergency .... and never find I miss them as there is ALWAYS something to do ... the problem starts when I get back and I log on and if not careful the panic to catch up can undo any good the break has done. :(

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Definitely a member of the lost cause club now. I need the internet like I need oxygen. I travelled overland half way around the world for years without even a phone, the only contact with the outside world was by occasional telex. I remember my father telling me the internet would not catch on and was just a fad. Had I had permanent internet 40 years ago I would have retired within a month. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to find obscure parts for a motorhome without the internet ?. How long is it since you saw a Yellow pages next to the phone?. We dont even have a phone directory any more.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Take the phone in case of emergency (it's not a smart phone, just a basic PAYG) and will also take the tablet or laptop to check for orders whilst we are away unless I have organised cover for the business :)
No tv in the van and we don't miss it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have smart phones, tablets , mifi and TV but don't panic if we can't get signals. We sleep a lot better when we don't use tech.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We are the same, take equipment but don't panic if no wifi or tv but do worry if no phone signal as I like to my girls to be able to get in touch in emergencies.(y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's the easy bit Nick. AA, after flying to Stansted for a few years during the summer months, which was a doddle for us, then switched to Gatwick for 2 years and then back to Stansted last year. This year it's Edinburgh :swear2: so we're doing our usual off season route via Copenhagen where we have a choice of 3 or so flights a day. Just to throw another spanner in the works Easyjet have dropped the daily route to CPH from Stansted to twice weekly so we're out from Luton return Stansted.

Ferry from Hirtshals in Denmark if and when we take the car and that's a 36 hour crossing once we manage to get there.

Edit: Sorry Jim, another thread gone awol. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's the easy bit Nick. AA, after flying to Stansted for a few years during the summer months, which was a doddle for us, then switched to Gatwick for 2 years and then back to Stansted last year. This year it's Edinburgh :swear2: so we're doing our usual off season route via Copenhagen where we have a choice of 3 or so flights a day. Just to throw another spanner in the works Easyjet have dropped the daily route to CPH from Stansted to twice weekly so we're out from Luton return Stansted.

Ferry from Hirtshals in Denmark if and when we take the car and that's a 36 hour crossing once we manage to get there.

Edit: Sorry Jim, another thread gone awol. :LOL:

Looking at your pictures is looks to me like it would be worth a bit of inconvenience to visit.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
netbook, tablet to use as a kindle and TV, can't walk far so need loads to keep me occupied whilst Sue goes off exploring. I guess I'm in the no hope club.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
This is my application to join the Lost Causes Club......please.
On my loading check list for the van is:- iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, MacBook, Kindle x 2, Memsahibs basic mobile phone (on different network), Nikon camera, binoculars x 2, sat-nav, satellite tv (built in) plus a box of DVD's.
Please sir, do I have the necessary credentials to join this exclusive club?

Richard.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Travelling Europe Would be a lot more difficult Without GPS maps and Internet. Why make everything more difficult??? I mean trying to find a campsite In a busy unfamiliar European city With RHD how much more difficulty do you need????

sinner

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 765
Exp
since 2011
Lost cause here, in your view Jim :) in my view its stuff I enjoy it would be a sin not to take it with me....:)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We don't have a TV in the 'van.

We do take a laptop with us to find out about places to eat, carboots, lottery results (to see if we have to go home or just keep travelling) etc.

I tend to spend more time reading books when we're away and Barrie listens to the radio or we TALK! :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Travelling Europe Would be a lot more difficult Without GPS maps and Internet.

Great device is sat nav, has saved many a marriage.. wouldn't leave home without, and it doesn't need the web, but don't recall mentioning it though..

nope, defo didn't

Do you just love all your toys.. smart phone, tablet, phablet, laptop etc .. can't bear to be disconnected form the web for even a day, never mind weekend or a week. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back