Leaving motorhome in Spain (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2015
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
Exp
Since 2013
Hi. I am considering leaving my motorhome at a storage facility in Spain from beginning of December till mid January. Has anyone used a facility quite near to an airport? Did you have any issues?
Thanks Mike

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yes I and loads of others have done it. Plenty places around, all close to airports. I personally used umbrella parking at Alicante airport. You'll get the choice of either indoors or outdoors parking and most provide a free shuttle service to/from the airport.

Might want to speak to your insurance company or you might not šŸ¤«

Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
We used Chris Parking at Alicsnte. Indoor storage and electric hookup if we'd wanted it. Free mi ibus to airport from storage and when we came back a quick phone call and minibus collected us and took back to storage. We would recommend them

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd only go with places that come well recommended.I've regularly driven past & down to the beach & some of the stuff is dumped everywhere along service roads both sides.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I recall someone on Fun left their motorhome at a long stay car park at Alicante aurport, secure, cctv etc and was very satisfied. But can't remember who or actually where, but they are available. Think it was Ron and Jeanette. roncab..think it was Victoria parking Alicante.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We used Chris Parking at Alicsnte. Indoor storage and electric hookup if we'd wanted it. Free mi ibus to airport from storage and when we came back a quick phone call and minibus collected us and took back to storage. We would recommend them
Another vote for Chris Parking, 5 minutes from Alicante Airport. Minibus transfers included.

We booked 6 months indoor storage the last 2 winters, and commuted backwards and forwards to and from the UK every couple of weeks. Our best priced flight last winter with easyJet was Ā£36.50 return.

1 st pic, our Rapido all lined up ready for collection.; 2nd pic general view in the hall
IMG_20200126_173010.jpg
IMG_20191108_085959.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Another vote for Chris Parking, 5 minutes from Alicante Airport. Minibus transfers included.

We booked 6 months indoor storage the last 2 winters, and commuted backwards and forwards to and from the UK every couple of weeks. Our best priced flights last winter with easyJet was Ā£36.50 return.

Not that's it's a contest but cheapest flight I got Alicante to Aberdeen was Ā£17.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Not that's it's a contest but cheapest flight I got Alicante to Aberdeen was Ā£17.
Single or return? And which airline out of interest - presumably Ryanair or easyJet?

Admittedly, it's a lot further from Spain to Aberdeen than Bristol, so it sounds a great price in any case. (y)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I left mine at Vilanova park, a bus ride from Barcelona airport for just under 4 week in jan/ feb. Large secure site. I paid Ā£75 which I was more than happy to pay. Iā€™m told cheaper is possible, mine was a last minute thing.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Single or return? And which airline out of interest - presumably Ryanair or easyJet?

Admittedly, it's a lot further from Spain to Aberdeen than Bristol, so it sounds a great price in any case. (y)

Can't remember, good chance it was just one way. Definitely Ryanair though as they were the only ones flying direct to/from Aberdeen at the time.

Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Correct Jim we left our van for three weeks very happy with Victoria parking fenced site full security patrols CCTV and drop u off and pick up great service

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't forget to check out the insurance situation with your provider ...

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I left mine at Vilanova park, a bus ride from Barcelona airport for just under 4 week in jan/ feb. Large secure site. I paid Ā£75 which I was more than happy to pay. Iā€™m told cheaper is possible, mine was a last minute thing.
Are they OK with leaving van on pitch or are they using storage area?

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
That's a very fair charge for 4 weeks. We have camped there a few times. Food for thought. Thanks

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
A few years ago we wanted to leave our caravan in Spain on a site, and phoned our insurer to ask if it was ok. Saga very helpfully cancelled our insurance just for asking the question! They said since Iā€™d asked, I was considered to be doing it regardless! We changed to Towergate, but I donā€™t think they do motorhomes. Not sure how you find out if something is allowed, without asking the question, & now wouldnā€™t trust Saga for anything!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
A few years ago we wanted to leave our caravan in Spain on a site, and phoned our insurer to ask if it was ok. Saga very helpfully cancelled our insurance just for asking the question! They said since Iā€™d asked, I was considered to be doing it regardless! We changed to Towergate, but I donā€™t think they do motorhomes. Not sure how you find out if something is allowed, without asking the question, & now wouldnā€™t trust Saga for anything!
That is outrageous. I should have thought you could have gone to the insurance ombudsman about that, if you'd felt so inclined.

But yes, getting UK motor insurers to cover motorhomes while in storage abroad is extremely difficult... but not impossible! ;) Apparently, it is supposed to be a bit easier for caravans - I think it was the CMC that told me they could help if I wanted to insure a caravan to be left overseas, but not a motorhome.

I got fixed up through the broker Advance Insurance: https://advanceinsurance.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/

And the underwriter is Ageas: https://www.ageas.co.uk/

A snag for some might be the maximum vehicle value of Ā£40k on the policy, which just covers us.

But whatever, it might be worth speaking to Advance.

Previously, we'd been with Comfort for about 8 years, when I tossed my request in to the renewal negotiations. Comfort would consider short periods of overseas storage at an approved location for say a week, if somebody needed or wanted to fly home - at about Ā£25 or Ā£30 additional premium per week. Eventually, I did get a quote from them - with much difficulty - to keep the van in Spain for 6 months and use it from time to time during that period. However, they wanted about Ā£1k for the cover (more than 3 times our usual premium with them); AND they wanted detailed advance notice of the precise storage dates (ie when we weren't with the van). Which, because we had all of our flights booked for the season, I could have provided. But, I thought it was an unnecessary faff, especially if we wanted to change our plans at short notice.

No such restrictions with Advance/Ageas - come and go as we wanted, just like at home. And, when we got caught out by the lockdown and the van had to be left at Chris Parking for months longer than planned they couldn't have handled the situation better from my perspective. I notified them of the issue and they said, 'that's fine, we'll extend the cover both for the storage and extend your European cover too (we had an allowance of 240 days which had been negotiated at the outset) until your renewal at the end of June. And there is no additional premium'! :giggle: And, even more surprising, when I renewed at the end of last month, the premium went DOWN compared to the previous year. (y)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
I considered the ombudsman, but we were in Spain at the time, and after I had sorted the insurance I decided to leave it for the sake of my blood pressure! Still gets me cross after 7 years! šŸ˜”

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I considered the ombudsman, but we were in Spain at the time, and after I had sorted the insurance I decided to leave it for the sake of my blood pressure! Still gets me cross after 7 years! šŸ˜”
Totally understand, and I would no doubt be the same.

Sometimes, you have to just say, 'life is too short'. But a bugger, nonetheless... :cry:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is discraceful. Understand about the blood pressure but not getting it sorted can cause you problems.

Every time you take out any insurance policy for anything you will be asked on the form or verbally "have you ever had an insurance policy refused or cancelled". Answer yes and you will have to pay a lot more, or probably they will decline to quote.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Exp
That is discraceful. Understand about the blood pressure but not getting it sorted can cause you problems.

Every time you take out any insurance policy for anything you will be asked on the form or verbally "have you ever had an insurance policy refused or cancelled". Answer yes and you will have to pay a lot more, or probably they will decline to quote.
Yes, I thought of that at the time, and managed to get them to agree to let me cancel & not them. Some small concession!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Manchester - Alicante Ā£8.05 (Veuling (no longer fly direct))
In 2009, we did Bristol-Malaga for 1p each way (inc all taxes). :giggle:

It was a Ryanair 'free flights' promotion, which worked for us... (y)

Those days have long gone. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back