Leaving Monday for Moselle (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are going through the tunnel on Monday morning at 7am. We would like to travel along the Moselle river. In your opinion which is best way to go? From where to where?
is it possible to get from tunnel in one go? In your opinion where to stop on the way to it. I realise it depends on where we will start off from on the river.
We have two weeks only. As we haven't been to those parts before we would appreciate some advice of good places of interest, bus stops, views etc please.
We have been so very busy over the last week that as yet we haven't had chance to look at the atlas or anything. Thanks for your help.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We went through Luxembourg (well worth a days visit) and picked up the Moselle at Trier.Worked our way up to Koblenz where it meets the Rhine. A beautiful trip and plenty of aires/stellplatz en route. All the main towns are worth visiting and Bernkastel Kues was a favourite for us.
Dont be in a hurry, and its worth getting on to an aire/stellplatz by mid afternoon, they can get busy.
Phil

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We are getting there, next week too but are working our way down from Koblenz, starting at the site / Stellaplaz where the Moselle runs into the Rhine.

What ever you do, make sure you arrive in Luxembourg on empty as the fuel prices are crazy low !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
When out of the tunnel I would head for Lille. This avoids going on the motorway on the outskirts of Brussels, which can be a nightmare, and this route will also take you through Luxembourg - for cheap fuel - to begin your trip along the valley at Trier.

If you want to read about the trip that we took in 2015 the link is here: -
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/our-mosel-valley-adventure.111628/

Hope you have a great time.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Take the motorway from Dunkirk to Achen and stay in Monshau. Take the road south to Cocham stay the night. Mosel to the Rhine ferry at Boppatd
Enjoy

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks. We will have a look at the maps as well. We are so looking forward to going. Let's hope the weather is better than it is here. It's windy, raining hard and chilly here right now.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
we stayed in Koblenz also , there is a site right on the join of the 2 rivers in the city, which is nice, but its not a nice area , if i remember , we stayed at Gulser Moselbogen, on the site there, close to the river, nice site with restaurant, and a few places with 1.5 km to eat, overlooking the river. Cycle paths all the way into the centre of Koblenz, which is 5km , all flat.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We spent about 10 days on the Calais to Koblenz route this May. Suggest overnight at the aire in Stenay, then an absolute must is to go to Saarburg before heading on up to Trier and along the Moselle from there. No shortage of good stellplatz along the river. We enjoyed Piesport and Bernkastel-Kues. Aire outside main campsite in Koblenz is good value considering location. Have a great trip!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have also used the site at Gulser Moselbogen, agree its nice site with good restaurant.
Working out how to work the showers was a bit of a challenge first day:rolleyes:(very clean and well looked after)

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hello. We are now at Kinheim stellplatz having travelled up the Moselle from Trier and now on our way back down staying at different stellplatz. Favourite so far is bernkastel Kues. We are going to trittenheim and then longuich and then I think back into France next. Any recommendations for aires just into France from Germany please?
The Moselle is a must again. So much to see. What beautiful places. Next time we will take a bit longer. Thanks for your recommendations as we have never been to this part of the world before.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Echo Bernkastel as a favourite. We went "down" the Moselle ie towards Koblenz. One thing to consider when going to Koblenz is catching the train in, although its a walk from the station. We went in from Reil, the stellplatz there is a short (uphill) walk to the station.
We never intended staying at Reil, but foolishly tried to go to Cochem on the Sunday they held a family cycling day which closed roads along the valley and after passing the aire at Reil three times while completely lost we decided to quit and park there. We never got to Cochem so its a good reason to go back, really enjoyed it and I'm sure you will too. Loads of places to stay and everyone very friendly and helpful (we are non-German speakers).

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
We are going through the tunnel on Monday morning at 7am. We would like to travel along the Moselle river. In your opinion which is best way to go? From where to where?
is it possible to get from tunnel in one go? In your opinion where to stop on the way to it. I realise it depends on where we will start off from on the river.
We have two weeks only. As we haven't been to those parts
before we would appreciate some advice of good places of interest, bus stops, views etc please.
We have been so very busy over the last week that as yet we haven't had chance to look at the atlas or anything. Thanks for your help.

I like your style please keep posting I could be I retested in doing same kind of trip.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I know I'm repeating my advice for your outward leg but if you have time left, Saarburg is too good to pass up and Stenay in France is a good stopover on your way back to the ferry port.

Glad you enjoyed the trip as much as we did in the Spring. :)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
IMG_0942.JPG
Here you go, this was our route back from Bernkastle a few weeks ago, we were on bikes so we avoided motorways where we could, obviously the last few miles it was unavoidable really but the roads early on were fabulous. We shall be retracing our steps in September as we return to the Mosel in the Hymer for the wine festival's.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hello. We didn't stop at Saarburg we carried on until we reached the aire at Steney as someone recommended. Just arrived 8.40€ per night including 6amp electric, WiFi and showers. Very nice looking village will go explore in a while. Was given one free admission to the museum du biere- must go look in a bit. Stopped raining now. Last night we stayed at Camping Kreusch in Schweich. 13€ and 3€ for 16 amp electric, showers included. There was torrential rain and thunder and lightening last night. Today at Steney sunny and quite warm.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Hello. We didn't stop at Saarburg we carried on until we reached the aire at Steney as someone recommended. Just arrived 8.40€ per night including 6amp electric, WiFi and showers. Very nice looking village will go explore in a while. Was given one free admission to the museum du biere- must go look in a bit. Stopped raining now. Last night we stayed at Camping Kreusch in Schweich. 13€ and 3€ for 16 amp electric, showers included. There was torrential rain and thunder and lightening last night. Today at Steney sunny and quite warm.

We were headed your way today but as a result of the rain, we changed plans and have headed south in need of a few days of sun!

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed at Steney for two days and now are on an aire in Le Nouvion en Theirache next to a small camp site. Free overnight and 2€ if you want water. Tomorrow heading nearer to Calais. Any thoughts on Aires in Marck, Hondschoote and Arques? Has anyone stayed there? I've read on here about Aires near Calais- Calais 1, Calais 2, Wissant, Escalles, Gravelines, a bit of info would be useful please. We have had a fantastic time travelling and stopping along the Moselle and coming back through France. We just want the last couple of days to be good as well as it's another year before we are able to go that way again - that four lettered word "w**k" is rearing its ugly head soon. Thanks

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed at Steney for two days and now are on an aire in Le Nouvion en Theirache next to a small camp site. Free overnight and 2€ if you want water. Tomorrow heading nearer to Calais. Any thoughts on Aires in Marck, Hondschoote and Arques? Has anyone stayed there? I've read on here about Aires near Calais- Calais 1, Calais 2, Wissant, Escalles, Gravelines, a bit of info would be useful please. We have had a fantastic time travelling and stopping along the Moselle and coming back through France. We just want the last couple of days to be good as well as it's another year before we are able to go that way again - that four lettered word "w**k" is rearing its ugly head soon. Thanks

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Any thoughts on Aires in Marck, Hondschoote and Arques? Has anyone stayed there?
We stayed at Camping Beauséjour, Rue Michelet, 62510 Arques about 5 or 6 years ago. Nice place but we only stayed the one night as we were heading south. We found out while we were there that there is an aire by the lake. No facilities there, as far as I remember, but there is a black water and grey water dump just outside the reception for the camp site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back