Leaving boiler on all the time ok or not ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As above I have a Truman combo 6e
Can I leave hot water heating on all the time ?
only heats as needed I guess and has a Thermostat so it’s all safe to leave and I live full time

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I wondered that too... as it would stop the tank dumping on cold nights for those of us who struggle getting to water taps.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
On mine, to protect the heater element its thermal cut-out would trip if the heater was still on and I let the water tank become empty. I can reset it but I doubt that overheating the element too often would do it any good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I did it last winter as I was away in the van quite often it wasn't worth draining the system all the time. Never had any problems.

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
You will probably need to descale it more often.
If you spend a lot of time in hard water areas you will encourage scale build up as Lenny pointed out

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On electric I'd never even considered turning it off unless I wanted the amps for something else. On gas, I turn off at night just to reduce gas consumption and noise, but would leave on in ultra cold weather.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On electric I'd never even considered turning it off unless I wanted the amps for something else. On gas, I turn off at night just to reduce gas consumption and noise, but would leave on in ultra cold weather.
The electric elements are prone to failing and a pig to replace. Best to use as little as possible.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I was on a metered hook up last Christmas and I soon noticed how many more units of electricity it consumed if I left the water heater on all the time. Up to you but there is a cost in leaving the water heater on and it may be more than you expect if you are picking up the bill.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
No it's wasteful of energy. Why would you it heats up quickly when you do need it.

I wouldn’t leave it on if not using the van, that is a waste. However if you are using it, the heat will also warm the interior of the van so not wasted in that respect.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That sounds like the eternal discussion about whether it's more economical to leave the home immersion heater turned on all the time or only when hot water is needed.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Whilst wilding up here in the Highlands through the winter we leave the heating on 2 at night, comes on now and again. No problems with scaling as we only use highland water.

Whilst travelling europe last year we did notice a build up in the kettle, so we put some cirtic acid solution in the system, certainly cleaned the kettle, so hopefully cleaned the boiler and pipes.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have recently added an iNet box to my Truma system. We can now switch the heating and/or the hot water on or off when away from the motorhome. It also reports on the habitation and water temperatures so you can decide what is needed.

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
If you leave your heating on.. your water is hot by default (y) on the Combi 6e
I don't think this is correct because the heating can run without water in the system and I'm sure that when there is water in the system it doesn't get hot, barely takes the coldness off of it.

Descale using citric acid(Amazon supplies it) mix with one tablespoon per litre in a watering can and fill your freshwater tank. Run through the hot water and heat it to high temp, pull some through the taps to go into your waste tank, hot and cold, approximately half the tank. Turn off the water heater. Go for a run around the block to swish it around. Pull through the water until almost empty. Drain waste and fresh tanks, refill fresh water and pull through, heat water, pull through, drain etc.
I flush twice after the citric solution and the water draining through the waste tank outlet is clear. Good to go. As a tester, if you have a scaled up kettle, try it out, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When we are on Gas the boiler is on only when needed.
On EHU the boiler is on all the time, we just keep an eye on the water level.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When on an unmetered supply it may be tempting to leave the boiler on but we are all paying for the wasted energy somewhere. The sites don’t supply these facilities out of generosity they need to cover the costs to survive. I also try to think about the environmental considerations but this doesn’t seem to trouble some people however the costs fall on all of us.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There is some crossover between heating and hot water on the Truma Combi, they use the same heating chamber. I have seen the hot water reach 40C when the heating is on but the hot water is off. Conversely the heating can drag the hot water temperature down, which is where the boost setting comes in. Boost tuns the heating fan off giving priority to hot water.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm sure as sure can be if you have a Cobmi 6e ... 👍👍
I don't think this is correct because the heating can run without water in the system and I'm sure that when there is water in the system it doesn't get hot, barely takes the coldness off of it.

Descale using citric acid(Amazon supplies it) mix with one tablespoon per litre in a watering can and fill your freshwater tank. Run through the hot water and heat it to high temp, pull some through the taps to go into your waste tank, hot and cold, approximately half the tank. Turn off the water heater. Go for a run around the block to swish it around. Pull through the water until almost empty. Drain waste and fresh tanks, refill fresh water and pull through, heat water, pull through, drain etc.
I flush twice after the citric solution and the water draining through the waste tank outlet is clear. Good to go. As a tester, if you have a scaled up kettle, try it out, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Yes it can... But if there is water in there .... It gets hot 👍

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Let's be clear here... I full time...
I have a Combe 6e... I know how it works...
👍🙃...
You put and leave heating on overnight. (13 deg) .. you have hot water in the morning... in the boiler... It hot enough for a shower... 👍... 40 + sometimes 60..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back