Leaving a van on permanent hook up ? (1 Viewer)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Never kept any of our vans on EHU. Always take for a 10mile drive every fortnight if not been away. Only hook up the morning we are going and put the fridge on. We used to park in a field on most weekends when we worked, no EHU, no solar panels, 85 amp battery for 3/4 nights from March to November and never had a problem.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Never kept any of our vans on EHU. Always take for a 10mile drive every fortnight if not been away.

We started off using this method but find that after about 6 weeks (3 cycles) it would not start. Every van is different and if you have alarms and reversing camera it can substantially add to your battery drain

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Leave it in the garage on permanent EHU - don't even rewind the cable - I live dangerously me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bonio123

Free Member
May 31, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year and still enjoying it
Just be aware, left mine on whilst on the drive last year and the house got hit by lightning. Travelled through the EHU and blew all the electrics in the van , both habitation and engine. Thankfully the van was less than three years old so managed to get Fiat and Swift to repair under warranty but I now only connect every couple of weeks when no thunder activity likely and when I'm away on site always disconnect in thundery showery weather

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just be aware, left mine on whilst on the drive last year and the house got hit by lightning. Travelled through the EHU and blew all the electrics in the van , both habitation and engine. Thankfully the van was less than three years old so managed to get Fiat and Swift to repair under warranty but I now only connect every couple of weeks when no thunder activity likely and when I'm away on site always disconnect in thundery showery weather

You could fit a surge protector.. see thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/voltage-surge.110948/#post-1574905

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How easy is is the avs 30 to fit jim :)
Mark
very easy Mark .. took me less than an hour..

I fitted mine above the main switch box in the wardrobe..
Took the feed from the outlet of the DP Main Switch RCD up to the Surge unit, then fed back the 16A MCB

but if you have no electrical knowledge or not 100% happy.. better left to an electrician ..

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Never have the van plugged in when at home the 120 watt solar panel keeps both batteries topped up.

When we full timed the van is plugged in at all times when in the freezing UK so yes the blue plug is waterproof otherwise we would have gone BANG every day it P---ed down

steve & ann.------------- teensvan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back