Leaving a Dog in the Van - Ventilation ideas? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm about to tear my van apart to refit, but I've started thinking about the times my Dog is left in the van by himself. Ventilation specifically.

It's his favourite place to be and the only time he likes being by himself, but of course I want him as comfortable as possible.

So I'm in need of inspiration. Any great ideas guys? :)

DSC00029.jpg

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We've never really found it to be a problem, except in really hot weather. We park in the shade but have found that roof vents open and blinds down keep the inside fairly comfy. Two vents so there can be a through draft if possible seem to work...

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We've never really found it to be a problem, except in really hot weather. We park in the shade but have found that roof vents open and blinds down keep the inside fairly comfy. Two vents so there can be a through draft if possible seem to work...

That's exactly what I've done up until now, but I've also come back to a wet van after an impromptu downpour :D2

I'd like to try and avoid this, so if someone does gave a brainwave...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We leave one vent (big one) over the lounge area open an inch or two so won't normally let any rain in. The Fiamma turbovent over the bed is set to draw out air so a good circulation with the hotter air high up being sucked out. Thermal blinds closed on all sun side windows. If very hot there is another wall mounted fan above where they usually lie.
Temperature measurements show it remains cooler than the outside temperature for hours.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fit a Fantastic vent they shift a lot of air for quite a small current draw. Our daughters dog sometime comes in our van if its hot her favourite place is on the floor under the Fantastic vent, with the fan blowing down on her.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We’ve got one of those American fantastic vent fans. Its at the front bit of the hab, ceiling. We open the rear roof light and switch it on. It really cools the inside down . If we are in we open the windows a notch on the back doors and it’s even cooler.
Plus we pull up the thermal blinds on the windows and put the silver screen on. We’ve got a thermometer in the van and it has not reached any uncomfortable temperatures , it’s always a lot cooler in than out .
Busters fine left for a few hours in the van , and at home .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can get a criss cross pattern collasable vent that fits wind up windows . cant remember where i got mine . had it for years . a good pet shop or perhaps the vets will know where to get one ,or two.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We leave one vent (big one) over the lounge area open an inch or two so won't normally let any rain in. The Fiamma turbovent over the bed is set to draw out air so a good circulation with the hotter air high up being sucked out. Thermal blinds closed on all sun side windows. If very hot there is another wall mounted fan above where they usually lie.
Temperature measurements show it remains cooler than the outside temperature for hours.

Thanks Reallyretired.

you can get a criss cross pattern collasable vent that fits wind up windows . cant remember where i got mine . had it for years . a good pet shop or perhaps the vets will know where to get one ,or two.

Cheers Alan :)
I have those already for when we are all sat in the van (so front windows can be open but dog safe), but they are not strong enough to be left in while away from the van (you've met my dog). Thanks though.

Fit a Fantastic vent they shift a lot of air for quite a small current draw. Our daughters dog sometime comes in our van if its hot her favourite place is on the floor under the Fantastic vent, with the fan blowing down on her.

We’ve got one of those American fantastic vent fans. Its at the front bit of the hab, ceiling. We open the rear roof light and switch it on. It really cools the inside down . If we are in we open the windows a notch on the back doors and it’s even cooler.
Plus we pull up the thermal blinds on the windows and put the silver screen on. We’ve got a thermometer in the van and it has not reached any uncomfortable temperatures , it’s always a lot cooler in than out .
Busters fine left for a few hours in the van , and at home .

Thanks for that Lenny and Ralph-n-Bev :)

That does look a good solution. From a quick search it seems to fit the same 40 x 40cm hole I'd have from removing one of my Mini Heki's, which is a bonus.

I see they sell a version with rain sensor that shuts the room automatically. This would solve the scenario of a sudden downpour when away from the van. Does this work well?

I see this model is around £350 which seems reasonable.

I'll do a bit more research on this, is there anything about it you don't like?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
A cheaper alternative to the Fantastic fan is an Endless Breeze. Brilliant 12 volt fans and dogs love them.
Coupled with an open vent they should achieve what you want.

Thanks Figaro, read a lot of good things about that fan. I also like the O2 COOL, which is similar, bur rechargeable.
I think I'd prefer a fitted solution for ease so I can just switch it on instead of having to plug it in etc. But may get something like this in the future to use sitting outside the van :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use the fiamma turbovent at night. On low speed it is very quiet. We also carry a large fan which we use outside under the awning when its very hot. More for us than the dogs though. Dogs only have sweat glands on their feet apparently which is why they can suffer so much from heat and why a fan is less effective for them.
When we're parked in the mh and it' hot the dogs go underneath where it is cool.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny. Is it quiet enough to be left on a low setting overnight, would you say?
Yes fine on the low setting often use ours at night if it's over 30°, they have an adjustable thermocouple so once the van is cool they turn off.
Don't be tempted with the Fiamma may be a lot cheaper but doesn't shifts anything like the quantity of air.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
How about the Maxxair fan. It can be used open or closed and can be left open when it's raining and it's thermostatically controlled.

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.u...deluxe-roof-vent-fan-with-remote-control.html

Cheers CCC, I'll do a little more research on the Maxxfan when I've had a few coffee's :)

Yes fine on the low setting often use ours at night if it's over 30°, they have an adjustable thermocouple so once the van is cool they turn off.
Don't be tempted with the Fiamma may be a lot cheaper but doesn't shifts anything like the quantity of air.

Thanks Lenny, take it you have had the Fiamma in the past?

Good to hear the Fantastic vent is quiet enough to use at night.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No good if you're not there and have a daft dog.
Leaves the van open to scroats entering or even stealing your pooch.
Fine if you have a vicious dog though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny, take it you have had the Fiamma in the past?
The current van has a Fantastic vent in the bedroom & not enough space to fit another one above the lounge so I fitted a Fiamma Turbo vent in the main roof light. No comparision in performance I nearly returned the Fiamma it was so naff but decided anything was better than nothing.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The current van has a Fantastic vent in the bedroom & not enough space to fit another one above the lounge so I fitted a Fiamma Turbo vent in the main roof light. No comparision in performance I nearly returned the Fiamma it was so naff but decided anything was better than nothing.
The fiamma turbovent works fine in a 40x40 hole and is thermostatically controlled. I agree that a fan in a main vent is unlikely to do much. The fantastic fan can also fit there and doesn't work very well either.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The fiamma turbovent works fine in a 40x40 hole and is thermostatically controlled. I agree that a fan in a main vent is unlikely to do much. The fantastic fan can also fit there and doesn't work very well either.

I think for me, I'd prefer a solution that has a rain sensor so it can close by itself.

This would mean I could leave the vent wide open during the day for the dog, but if it did rain it wouldn't soak my van. It would also be great at night I think, as on warm nights I could again leave it wide open without the inevitable 3am shower I've had in the past :D

So I'm leaning towards the Fantastic or similar.

I'm about to start researching the Maxxfan that @CCC suggested. Are there any others that people know of?

Anyone else here have one of these types of fans fitted?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I did end up ordering the MaxxFan Deluxe. They now do a clear version, which for us ticked all the boxes :)

MaxxFan Deluxe Clear - White Background.jpg

Think what made my mind up was that this can be open in the rain, as the vent bit is on the underside. It still has a rain sensor, so can shut automatically, but even shut the fan can operate to recirculate air.

Looking forward to getting it fitted :D

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I wanted to fit a MaxxFan but because it has the vent section on the rear I was stuff as it would foul on one of our solar panels. (n)

Mine would be the same on two of my vents @CCC
IMG_1193.jpg

But the back one is fine for me.

Talking of solar panels, this fan solved another little issue. I wanted to add another two panels, one either side of the rear Heki. The trouble was it was quite tight to the edge of the van.

The MaxxFan is just that little bit slimmer (same cutout, just not as fat on the dome bit) and now it will all fit perfectly :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just a little update on this.

The insulation in my van has been finished for a while and the MaxxFan working.

The weather this week has been insane hot, and with my dad in hospital at the moment I'm having to leave my dog in the van for periods of time by himself.

But it's all fine. In fact it's way cooler in the van than in my dad's house or any other building I've been in this week :)

I have my on the windscreen, the windows slightly open in their vent position (safe as we now have the window bars fitted) and the MaxxFan set on low to extract. Also a mini Heki slightly open and all the window covers closed (apart from a little for ventilation).

So pleased this part of the build has exceeded my hopes in planning. I have a very happy pup :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just a quick update on the MaxxFan. I videoed the fitting a year ago, also showing how it works and how loud it is, but with everything else going on didn't upload it.

My new LED MaxxShade arrived a few days ago and I decided to finish the video, adding what I think of it after having it running almost constantly for a year.

Here's the video for anyone interested:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We just park so the sun is on bobywork as much as possible rather than on the windows and open the roof vent its never that ht inside. My biggest worry is some well meaning person phoning the police or breaking in to "save the dog"

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A cheaper alternative to the Fantastic fan is an Endless Breeze. Brilliant 12 volt fans and dogs love them.
Coupled with an open vent they should achieve what you want.
That's what we use, circulating the cool air in the van. I guess if it's really hot outside I'm not sure if sucking lots of hot air in is such a good idea.

Timing is important, we wouldn't leave our dog in the van for very long in the middle of the afternoon but mornings are generally good.

I can also remotely monitor the internal temperature using my Raspberry Pi gadget I described here somewhere.

There are dog cooling coats but they are designed for outside use. I'm not sure they are practical for indoor use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back