Leather upholstery and dogs (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I find leather only cold if your house or van is cold.
We've got leather and velvet cotton corded fabric. The dogs allowed up on one bit. The bottom bit of the U shaped seating.
Which is always covered.
That way we can wash his bit after each trip, along with his dog towel and fabric bed. Hopefully, we then wash away any dog smells. We've been in houses and vans that stink of dogs. I think when your a dog owner you can get a bit nose blind .......
Stale fags , old chip fat and dog smells must be up there as the worse smells, in houses and vans .

Reactions: Ven

Deleted User
Depends on your dogs and their claws

We only ever have leather sofas at home and upgraded to leather in our first van.
Our home sofas have always been picked with the dogs in mind, so we tend to go for the type of leather which improved with age and wear, like you get in pubs :)
The leather we had in our first van was too soft and got a bit scuffed, so if going down the recovering in van, check it is hard wearing and the type which takes wear.
In the end we recovered with faux leather in the van and as it was cheap didn't worry about wear.
When we traded it in it was recovered n fabric to sell.

Personally have 3 big dogs we avoid fabrics where ever we can as they hold doggie smells. So no carpets at home or van, and always leather sofas at home which we wipe with either leather wipes or baby wipes as we do allow the dogs to sit on them.

Lin :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your replies.

I'm hoping some people with dogs and leather seats who let them on the settees (which we do and will continue to do) will post their findings.

Being a mini dachshund Misty does scrabble a bit sometimes so really interested in first hand experience. She goes on leather seats at relatives houses and there has been no scratching there but they tend to be a bit lower than mh seats.

We have leather seats and couches at home and the dogs are allowed up. I think they wear well. I would caution on colour though. Our suites at home are chestnut, you can see where the dogs have scratched at them when scrabbling to get something out from underneath, but boot polish takes care of it. I like it. If they are muddy you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth. Also doesn't smell of dog like fabric can. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have two border collies and pale leather upholstery in the Mh. Because they are quite large dogs they don't need to scrabble, but don't actually like the leather much so only get up on the seats for a better view when something attracts their attention.

OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I really appreciate all the replies and actually the smell thing hadn't occurred to me. Obviously our little princess doesn't smell all (ha ha) but that is also a consideration. I think the fabric and leather combination is in the lead so far but that might change in the coming months before we make the final choice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Dave and I are hoping to get our kontiki reupholstered sometime soon. We are debating whether to go with fabric, a fabric leather combo or completely in leather.
If anyone has any photos of refurbished interiors they are really pleased with i'd love to see them too.
image.jpeg

There's a door in the bed base above , below the plug now, and a fake drawer front and corrian work surface and sink to the right. Buster sits above the plug socket above. On his rug. Traveling in a fabric fold up cage on the floor. Wedged between the seats.
image.jpeg

This was when we we'd just had the upholstery done ( at Regal ) before Ralph finished our conversion "Pug" . I bought the fabrics from next , Regal supplied the full pelt thick leather.

?

Deleted User
Don't know what it would be like with a bigger dog though

I have a Rottie and the couch lasts about 5 years but i dont treat the leather or polish it. Wash/wipe when needed. I would think the leather in a motor would be thinner than the average sofa.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I have a Rottie and the couch lasts about 5 years but i dont treat the leather or polish it. Wash/wipe when needed. I would think the leather in a motor would be thinner than the average sofa.

We always find an occasional clean and treat helps to keep the surface smooth and avoid scratching

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a leather sofa at home, and a very large Bernese. She is very definitely not allowed on the sofa either at home or in the camper. So when she goes on the sofa (you have to know Bernese, they take rules on advice only) the sofas in the camper get truly smegged (not leather) but the home one, easy to brush off.
When we re-upholster, it will be leather with out a shadow of a doubt!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have leather at home and wouldn't consider anything else with my dog. Walks on Morecambe Bay means he often comes home in a bit of a state but within an hour or so I just have to dust the leather down. The van however is material but is covered with sheepskins and throws, this works well also.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have a boder collie who sometimes jumps on the settee when my back is turned. Jumps back off when he hears me coming.

I only appear to have 1 scratch mark on it in 7 yrs.
Maybe due to it being good leather or dogs claws not that sharp.
I dont agree with dogs on couches aayway but at least you can wipe the dirt off more easily than you would with fabric.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
we had leather fitted as an option on a caravan it was brilliant, we have a leather suite at home, and just changed the van and the new one has leather so we are leather fans, dogs in the main only bring there claws out if they need to and we should know we have nine dogs.
DSC_8627.JPG

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Love dogs, love leather.

Our dog (and previous dogs) have never been allowed on the furniture.

No problems at all....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back