Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
One phrase always causes me to giggle. Je suis desolee ...... probably because my brain automatically translates that to 'I am desolated' rather than just normally 'sorry'.

I bet you ain't, probably you don't give a stuff really, do you?

Same as 'have a nice day' is rarely sincere IMHO !

:ROFLMAO:

Trouble with learning any language formally in the UK is normally you learn the BBC version of it. And as we know, it's rare to meet anyone who speaks BBC English and there as many dialects and accents in other countries as there are here.

Pete's first wife was an excellent French speaker, she went from school as a bi-lingual secretary to Dunlop Aerospace when they were working on the Concorde collaboration and spent her working life there discussing technical things with French people and writing them letters in French dictated in English, when she'd conveyed the info to the British guys in English.......

Later, when the kids were young adults they went on a fishing holiday to a lake in France. The lake owner (being but a country lad) couldn't understand a word she said, nor she him hardly. He was in any event, a man of few words. Why use words when a shrug or grunt etc would do anyway? However - she had many most enjoyable conversations with his mother, a very correct old lady who certainly didn't come from original Yeoman stock !

So Mama used to act as a go between LOL. Since then, Jean has learned English - and you try shutting him up now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back