LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a full ball of Nilo 8 (Mondial), just the one, which suggests a 0.75 to 1 hook or 2-2.5 mm knitting needle. I might make a couple of blocks, one knitted and one crochet to see what it looks like, but I have something else to finish first of course.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi,just to let you all know if its of any interest. Aldiare selling large 400g balls of Aran yarn with 25% wool for £4.99. I bought 2 yesterday , my aunt will knot me an Aran., actually bought 3, one for me to play with, maybe get adventurous and try crocheting a top. :giggler:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Am currently wearing a cardi knitted with Aldi Aran it washes well mine is a bit fuzzy but all the hand knits i wear go that way, John’s are absolutely fine though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Winter project finished, stretched it is just over 1m square. 1.25mm hook. I didn't get any paint or charcoal on it, unheard of!

DSC02607.JPG

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
today decided to pickup the massive 'granny square' bed spread, had to look at utube to work out how to carry on :rolleyes: first couple of stitches and sorted. interesting to see the difference between the thickness of DK yarn now and that of 40 years ago.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've started my contribution to the "Contextualising Hume" project:

There is supposed to be a replica of the castle made by local people in textiles - I hope not full size! I am making part of the interior in crochet. Started last night after I added the final round to my "Changes" blanket. Martin says we now have enough lap blankets so not to make any more :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Bbc 2 tonight at 8pm is a new jewellery making programme for you crafters.

It might be interesting :)...... or it might be rubbish. :(

Xx

It was okay ..... after the technical assessment and the achieving the brief so much more is a matter of personal taste. However some of the work featured in the biographical bits was stunning. Some time ago I signed up to do a silver smith course but it was cancelled as only two people had signed up :( I'd still like to see if I have what it takes though - maybe even a taster day or similar learning to solder silver and just see how it reacts to being shaped in different ways.

It's Sewing Bee tonight !!!!!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It was okay ..... after the technical assessment and the achieving the brief so much more is a matter of personal taste. However some of the work featured in the biographical bits was stunning. Some time ago I signed up to do a silver smith course but it was cancelled as only two people had signed up :( I'd still like to see if I have what it takes though - maybe even a taster day or similar learning to solder silver and just see how it reacts to being shaped in different ways.

It's Sewing Bee tonight !!!!!!
I liked the work of Dan from Frome.

My favourite was the bee bangle.

I really would live to meet the lady who went to meet the queen...... She sounded fun.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I liked the work of Dan from Frome.

My favourite was the bee bangle.

I really would live to meet the lady who went to meet the queen...... She sounded fun.

It was Kim from Portsmouth for me :) Not so much what she made on the show but the pieces they showed when they introduced her.

In the bespoke challenge I would have been tempted to make a butterfly on a tremble so it moved ...... butterflies for hope and courage over adversity (her foster children).

I also loved the pieces from the the judge Solange Azagury-Partridge. I did think the presenter was wooden and like an automaton though - and the presenter is make or break for many of these programmes.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Also some of the comments by the "All that glitters" presenter were not what I would have expected. Something like "have the courage of a straight white man".

Sewing Bee was interesting. I applaud anyone willing to go on such a show. I would fall the pieces under the pressure of having to work so fast and so well. One error and you are finished. Personally I think they have to keep things simple in order to complete the garment to the quality standard and the bling can be added if there is time. Completing the garment to a really good standard and adhering to the brief have to take priority over foo-foo and sparkles.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yup. The blonde, comedienne woman.... to another woman. Between her and the miserable po faced presenter woman it was a difficult one to work out if it was enjoyable or not.

I'm seriously considering making a formal complaint. Racist, sexist and homophobic.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'm seriously considering making a formal complaint. Racist, sexist and homophobic.
I suspect they've already received hundreds and it will be 'being dealt with.'. Don't worry, Helen. Lots will have found it out of order. Hug.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I haven't seen it but yes, exactly what I thought when I first read it. The 'I'm female, I'm a comedienne, I can say anything I like school'? And if you are offended by it you are not allowing women a voice???

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I’ve recently made three pairs of these with my overlocker for the Bristol contingent.
3CD5049A-A20F-4569-A672-1653363545B8.jpeg

Im really pleased with how they came out - more to the point so are they ! -as the first ones I made were supposedly adults size (for #5 daughter) but I needed to majorly alter them when she couldn’t get them over her calves!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I haven't seen it but yes, exactly what I thought when I first read it. The 'I'm female, I'm a comedienne, I can say anything I like school'? And if you are offended by it you are not allowing women a voice???

I am a woman (happen to be white and hetro) but I don't have to pretend to be a man to have confidence. I need to believe that I can do something because I am who I am. Pretending to be someone you know you are not does not give a person any confidence in themselves and is more likely to undermine their confidence - just my thoughts but I do feel strongly that people need to have self belief and not borrowed clothes to achieve.

If you get somewhere by pretending to be someone else would you ever really think that it was you that had scaled Everest?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I’ve recently made three pairs of these with my overlocker for the Bristol contingent.View attachment 485685
Im really pleased with how they came out - more to the point so are they ! -as the first ones I made were supposedly adults size (for #5 daughter) but I needed to majorly alter them when she couldn’t get them over her calves!

Love those! I am in desperate need of new clothes but have put on so much weight over the last year am dreading going shopping.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Here are the photos of the "Castle Grass". Due to be collected tomorrow and I am hoping there is something else that is needed.

I am knitting squares again in a variation of the Quaker Bartlett pattern - this time in 2 ply just so it takes me longer. Six squares done (2 evenings per square) but I haven't blocked them yet so am unsure of the finished size.

Attachments

• 100_9996.JPG
    100_9996.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_9995.JPG
    100_9995.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_9994.JPG
    100_9994.JPG
    686.8 KB · Views: 13
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Love those! I am in desperate need of new clothes but have put on so much weight over the last year am dreading going shopping.
I have to go on a crash diet at some point as we are planning to drive to The boat in Greece, leaving the U.K. in late August, but currently none of the clothes I have on board will fit me 😕

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back