Learn to crochet? (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
- a square a day for an Easter Blanket for 'homemade for preemies'
Is this a local initiative, Pam? Not one I’ve heard of.

irnbru I recommend something like this for achey hands
8D7563E1-9BA0-46C1-8FCD-6E312BD36AD0.jpeg

There are lots of different sets for different budgets but I suggest you get the best you can as the cheaper ones tend part company from the handles after a while. I know this after being given a set by one of my well meaning daughters!

Do I remember that someone on here was looking for a home for some preemie hats a little while ago? If you contact your local hospital they should be able to point you in the right direction if they can’t accept them for whatever reason.
Alternatively, one of my local scrubs groups has branched out into providing preemie hats and blankets for the Swansea hospitals. If you want to send them there I can get you an address. It’s quite close to my heart as Reggie was in Singleton for 98 days. Now he has been moved closer to home, and if he continues doing so well will be going home soon. His due date was 15 January.

I‘ve been making baby things lately, both for Reggie and my niece’s (not so) little boy who was born in November at 9lb12oz! Pics are on my phone so I will post them later.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well 💜
Keep those fingers busy!

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello Anthea Offagain
Soon after I joined Octopus for a preemie I went on to "Handmade with love for preemies uk" so that I could use my stash of knitting wool. They work in much the same way as "Octopus" supplying hospitals with blankets, angel gowns, hats etc. The Easter blanket squares started in January, eventually to make a kangaroo blanket. Very simple and ideal for knitting just before bedtime. They have their own patterns and ideas. They are launching a new blanket pattern tonight and still have a rainbow theme running so from time to time pictures are posted of items sent in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
SGNV What treatment is there for chilblains? I think I used to get them on my toes when I was a youngster. I just remember them being really itchy. Is there anything you can do to avoid them?

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
SGNV What treatment is there for chilblains? I think I used to get them on my toes when I was a youngster. I just remember them being really itchy. Is there anything you can do to avoid them?
As far as I know there is no treatment as they don't really know why some people get them. Keeping my hands warm is the best thing I can do, but is rather hard at this time of year. I get them really easily, had one at the August bank holiday weekend! Honestly. This is the first whopper of winter, so not doing bad at all. The problem usually is more later on, maybe March, when I have had them constantly and the skin gets paper thin and I have to be careful about infections. At the moment the finger is about twice the size of usual and bumping the crochet hook against it is rather uncomfortable. I can still hold a paint brush and pencil though!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
As far as I know there is no treatment as they don't really know why some people get them. Keeping my hands warm is the best thing I can do, but is rather hard at this time of year. I get them really easily, had one at the August bank holiday weekend! Honestly. This is the first whopper of winter, so not doing bad at all. The problem usually is more later on, maybe March, when I have had them constantly and the skin gets paper thin and I have to be careful about infections. At the moment the finger is about twice the size of usual and bumping the crochet hook against it is rather uncomfortable. I can still hold a paint brush and pencil though!
Have you tried Tiger Balm?

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Haven't tried Tiger Balm, would be concerned about getting that accidentally in my eyes etc (know thyself).
Use Sudocrem but can't say that seems to make any difference, Ibuprofen when it is really bad does help, but none of it stops it happening in the first place.
Anyway, it's just life as far as I am concerned. It just makes crochet awkward at this time of year!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My sisters and I used to dress our big black tom cat up in baby clothes and take him for a walk in our doll's pram. he just lay there and let us. Gave folk looking into the pram a terrible shock though. If he didn't want to play he did a runner when the pram and clothes appeared.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My sisters and I used to dress our big black tom cat up in baby clothes and take him for a walk in our doll's pram. he just lay there and let us. Gave folk looking into the pram a terrible shock though. If he didn't want to play he did a runner when the pram and clothes appeared.

Sue, when my daughter was young we used to go for a walk and instead of a doll, we took her large, white rabbit. It would lie on its back propped up and wore an old doll's hat with two holes cut out for its ears.

Those were the days. X

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
My friend Dawn has a redicut rug kit on the go that she started 30 years ago.

She is a WI friend and when we used to be able to meet as a group for crafting we invested in a few spare rugger tools and all took a turn at helping her with it ::bigsmile:

I think she is still 10 years off finishing it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Me too. Bought mine about 30 years ago as well. Only done about 1/3 of it! Kept saying I'd get it done by the time I retired - been retired 10 years now and still not done - not sure it'll ever get done. I take it when we go away in the MH but haven't done very much when we're away, always other things to do!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Yes, I spent hours as a kid doing them
Me too. Bought mine about 30 years ago as well. Only done about 1/3 of it! Kept saying I'd get it done by the time I retired - been retired 10 years now and still not done - not sure it'll ever get done. I take it when we go away in the MH but haven't done very much when we're away, always other things to do!
Like drinking :wine:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Wool Rugs is something that bought back memories, when. I was engaged I would about. 18.
I bought a wool rug set cream with a big red rose in a half circle, we had it at the bottom of our bed when we got married for years.
Later I made a rug with a big Tigers head on it.
Strange what brings back memories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back